The bad thing being an out of the closet atheist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2011, 08:08 PM

RE: The bad thing being an out of the closet atheist.
Doctor, I am sorry to hear of your troubles. My close family and friends all know I'm an atheist, but I've never broken the subject with my extended family: aunts, uncles, grandparents, and the like. I sometimes wish I had the courage to just be honest, but I don't; the fact you do is something to be proud of.

I hope the will one day accept you for who you are, and wish you comfort until that day comes.
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2011, 10:09 PM
(12-03-2011 09:27 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  The chance of losing family.

I doubt you will lose family. My mother's known I've been an atheist for some 35 years now. She keeps praying for my soul and I keep arguing for her mind. It's a credit to her faith (and irrationality) that it seems to be a stalemate. But she's still my Mom and I love her and she loves me. Blood is blood.

(15-03-2011 11:59 AM)The Doctor Wrote:  Yes, a bit more called an Skeptical Buddhist more like it. I support the 4 Noble Truths and the Eightfold path, but the idea of rebirth and karma affecting the next birth. I am skeptical about.

The first 3 Noble Truths are incontrovertible as far as I can tell. The fourth along with the Eightfold path are a suggestion or template which has worked for others in the past. A reference implementation so to speak. I found the first 3 Noble Truths axiomatic, but the fourth seems almost ignoble. I might argue that the path to enlightenment is inherently and entirely individual and suggesting that there is a formula is counterproductive. And the bullshit about rebirth is the same sort of bullshit the Christian religion has perverted the message of Christ with the promise of a postmortem preservation of identity. But Karma I believe in. Instant Karma. What I do here and now has an immediate effect on my character here and now.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-09-2011, 01:30 AM
Well I did not read all the replies, so i might sound like a repetative dumb-ass, but here goes.
First - Props for your bravrery.
Second - Tell them that you love them, just straght up hug them and say "I LOVE YOU".
I hope this helps, we are all with you.

Free at Last, Free at Last,
Great Me Almighty
I'm Free at Last!
13-09-2011, 03:38 PM
I can relate, Doctor. My imediate family is not very religious, but most of my extented family is. When they first heard I was an atheist, the started yelling at me about how jesus is my savior and all that bull. Almost every time I visited, they tried to shove christanity down my throat. One time when i visited them, my aunt tried to make me go to church and get baptised. It got to the point where I no longer visit them anymore. I hear my grandmother wants my mother to make me attend church twice a week.

I am going to hell because i dare to question bronze-age goat herders, and think for myself.
~Me~

I am not smarter than religious people because I have a better understanding of science than them. I am smarter because I know I am not going to live forever, and I am happy with that.
~Me~
27-11-2011, 06:50 PM
wow, that sounds really bad. i am 16 and i live with my mother and stepfather. my mom is not really sure about religion, but i think she believes in god. my grandfather was an atheist and my mom never lived in religious family and she "found god" while in college. i am atheist, although i am baptized as eastern orthodox. i now live in US, but i used to live in Bosnia which was communistic country and my grandfather was army officer so atheism was required. i had to hide my true belief even from my closest friends because everyone are very religious there. here i do not insult anyone, but i do not run to tell every body what i do not believe. i do it for myself, not for others. i do value christian beliefs and agree with some christian codecs as i was raised in such environment. i consider myself lucky because i can do what i want without having fear of rejection. if irony is greater, my grandfathers mom was daughter of an orthodox priest and father was western Ukrainian from family with long line of priests and army officers. still he was atheist, not because he wanted to but because he simply had such image of life purpose. people, especially pious one don't seem to realize that. even if there is "god" it matters what you do more than what you believe. if you hate, kill, loot and rape in name of Christ you can't hope to end up well.
be well and i hope it gets better for you! Smile

[img][Image: 207nf4g.png][/img]
28-11-2011, 12:40 PM
The thought of people disparaging the human in front of them for the god in their imagination is simply disgusting. I don't have a family so I don't have that problem.

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
08-02-2012, 12:38 AM
wow,so sorry doctor, worse I got was my mom asking me not to talk about it ,that was it, and it turned out my sister and brother are closet ateists,my brother in law(he is jewish) just said ,"welcome to the real world!" And slap my shoulder.

Give a man a fish ,you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish ,you feed him for a life time,give a man religion,he will die praying for a fish
08-02-2012, 09:10 AM
Didn't realize you were a member of the Phelps family. Be honest, this didn't happen did it OP?

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Things I learned about religion...as a lifelong atheist. Adrianime 0 46 Yesterday 02:55 PM
Last Post: Adrianime
  Cracked: 8 celebrities who are great at last thing you'd expect RobbyPants 9 125 14-08-2014 05:09 AM
Last Post: RobbyPants
  The World Through Atheist Goggles. lucradis 112 10,116 13-08-2014 12:47 PM
Last Post: dancefortwo
  Atheist TV Drunkin Druid 32 396 07-08-2014 06:00 AM
Last Post: sadetec
  Atheist Teacher Stands up! Hobbitgirl 2 53 31-07-2014 12:19 PM
Last Post: Hobbitgirl
  Atheist Record for the Ages GawDamn 0 77 01-07-2014 07:38 AM
Last Post: GawDamn
  Resources to Atheist Content Forthright Atheist 3 105 22-05-2014 07:53 AM
Last Post: earmuffs