The basis of the existence of God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2011, 04:53 AM
RE: The basis of the existence of God
You know what comes to my mind when I hear statements like, "you can't experience god with the physical because god is spirit?"

That us exactly what I would say if I was a con man and I wanted to sell you a scam. Everything I hear that the religious claim to get from god is internal and could easily be supplied by their own mind. I used to speak in tongues, feel "glory chills" and have the same feelings I hear them talk about. All it proved was that my subconscience could supply what I expected when I needed it. Nothing supernatural about it at all.

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like nontheocrat's post
19-09-2011, 01:58 PM
RE: The basis of the existence of God
So, in a nutshell, your friend is saying science can explain why and how we have emotions, but that does not explain the "experience" of emotions...and therefore God is real? Sadness, anger, happiness, are all labels we give to the experience of emotions. Science has given us explanations for those experiences. Emotions are not somehow separate from the experience of them- without the "experience" of sadness, there is no sadness. There is no gap for God to jump into and create the "experience" in addition to the physical attributes of the emotion. The chemicals and electrons do that all by themselves. So his argument fails on two levels; A) no God is required to make the "experience" of emotions work, and B) even if some unknown element was required to make emotions manifest themselves beyond what we already know about them in scientific terms, there is no reason to jump to the conclusion that his God would be that unknown element.

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply