The beauty of "evil Iran"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2012, 02:24 AM
The beauty of "evil Iran"
Been on some google-earth-tourism yesterday evening.

I like that. You think of a place, fly there and go into street view and watch the panoramio and 360° pictures. Every time you see something interesting you open up Wikipedia and most of the time, you can find some info quite easily. nice!

I visited the san Francisco bay area last week for a couple of evenings. I might wanna go there IRL once.

This week, somewhat by accident, I ended up in big bad evil rouge state Iran.
This looks like an amazingly pretty country with an interesting ancient history. And juging from what I read about it on wikipedia, it looks like it was mostly screwed over by the west in modern days. No wonder they are a tad bit grumpy.
Looks like I want to visit them as well. Don't know for sure because if I list up my
  • debaptism
  • Pilot license
  • Affection with fine firearms
  • Degree in electronics
I'm afraid Belgian national security is going to make a camping site out of my parking lot Confused

Did any of you visited this country as a tourist?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-07-2012, 03:12 AM
RE: The beauty of "evil Iran"
No, but I did read about it in our local newspapers, some reporters went there to witness the horror in which people of Iran are living. They came back with a beautiful stories of a great tourist destination, full of marvellous beauty, history and people. As they described the country, it is much more "western" than we think.

Here is what I found about dressing...
http://www.irantravelingcenter.com/womn_..._hejab.htm

Now, of course, they are a Muslim country and a lot of laws are religious based, so we can still find all sorts of religious BS, but it is not the worst of Muslim countries.

Or so they wrote. Maybe things would be different if we actually went there and visited?

I don't know, but I do have a feeling that USA is pushing a lot of "truth" about Iran and I don't buy it all.

As for their "nuclear program", I find it normal, they only want what other countries have, it is highly hypocritical to say otherwise.

So, to me, Iran sounds pretty normal, considering it is a highly religious country, surrounded with other even more extreme religious countries. Muslim ones, not Israel.

Also, there are some theories that Croatian people emerged from Iran a long long time ago. We have some very similar words and one of the oldest symbols we use was found in Iran as well. Not the best and the brightest theory, but it does have something to think about...

[Image: pleter1.jpg]

I would like to see this bad country with my own atheist eyes, all I see are paranoid stories of countries that hate Iran, so I can't take that into consideration...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
20-07-2012, 03:52 AM
a lot of the western culture is adopted from Persia.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
13-08-2012, 05:14 PM
I spent a year living and working in pre-revolutionary Iran, 1975-76. We had an apartment in northern Tehran and even shipped our dogs over from California. It was one of the best years of my life. The country was beautiful, the culture unique and rich, the food delicious, the people warm and friendly on the personal level. They didn't like the U.S. government, and for good reason--like the fact that the CIA overthrew their democratically elected leader, Mohammad Mossadegh, in 1953 and installed the Shah. But they distinguished between the American government and the American people. From reports of my Iranian friends who have been back home recently, that's still the case.

At the time, there was considerable religious freedom in the country, and Muslims (by far the majority, of course), Jews (who are now all in Los Angeles), Christians, Baha'is, and, as far as I know, non-believers too all seemed to get along pretty well. You could buy pork in the Armenian stores if you wanted it, along with, believe it or not, some of the best beer in the Middle East. We spent many a pleasant evening with friends, gorging on buckets of Iranian pistachios and downing bottles of cold Star Beer.

In the West people tend to lump all Muslims together, not realizing that many different cultures share the same religion. Iranian language and culture are unique. Iranians aren't Arabs; their language, Persian (sometimes referred to as Farsi, the Persian name for it--i.e., Farsi:Persian :: Français:French :: Español:Spanish etc.) is an Indo-European language even though it's written in a modified Arabic script. So in terms of its genetic heritage, Persian is actually closer to English than to Arabic.

Great food too. Incredible bread in many varieties, cooked in little neighborhood bakeries specializing in only one type. You buy it piping hot out of the oven, wrapped in newspaper; I could never get home without devouring half of it on the way. The most delicate rice in the world. And Persians are masters at cooking meats along with fruit. Fesenjaan is duck or chicken in pomegranate and walnut sauce. SO good.

I'd love to get back there some day . . . but not until the religious crazies are out of power. The reports I've read and heard indicate that there's hope: the young people aren't buying what the clerics are handing out. if only the U.S. and/or Israel don't do something really, really stupid . . .

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 2 users Like cufflink's post