The beauty of life without religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2013, 06:14 AM
The beauty of life without religion
I'm actually pleasantly surprised that this subforum exists. Even though the argument that "religion provides a happier life" is self-evidently false (not in the least because happiness is subjective), I still feel that being able to show happiness as an atheist is still important. Not because the argument deserves an answer, but because those sitting on the fence won't be swayed by misinformation.

I wrote a blog post touching on this topic that I find quite fitting. An atheist friend of mine actually inspired the post because he said "it can be daunting and make me feel insignificant knowing that the universe doesn't care about me". And that is the truth, the universe doesn't care what you believe. We atheists quote that a lot, but at the same time, those yet undecided could read that comment and feel emotionally drawn to the "happier" choice.

My full response to this topic can be read here: http://scepticalprophet.wordpress.com/20...w-on-life/

Tl;dr:

Something is only precious because it is rare.

What theists consider to be comforting – the promise of eternal life – I think is just cheapening the value of life. It is no longer rare because it is no longer fleeting. It is not precious.

As for belonging to something greater than yourself, what bigger thing is there than the universe? The atoms in your left hand could have come from a different star than the atoms of your right hand, billions of years ago somewhere in the universe. Some people feel insignificant when they think about how vast the universe is, but just imagine – your entire existence was created by things infinitesimally greater than yourself.
So what’s more comforting? That’s up to you to decide. But for me, life has never been more fleeting, and thus precious, more tiny, and thus grand, than when I discovered science and truth.

Science, logic and how they destroy religious arguments @ http://scepticalprophet.wordpress.com/

To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today.
- Isaac Asimov.
Faith means not wanting to know what is true.
- Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Sceptical Prophet's post
23-02-2013, 02:26 PM
RE: The beauty of life without religion
(23-02-2013 06:14 AM)Sceptical Prophet Wrote:  I'm actually pleasantly surprised that this subforum exists. Even though the argument that "religion provides a happier life" is self-evidently false (not in the least because happiness is subjective), I still feel that being able to show happiness as an atheist is still important. Not because the argument deserves an answer, but because those sitting on the fence won't be swayed by misinformation.

I wrote a blog post touching on this topic that I find quite fitting. An atheist friend of mine actually inspired the post because he said "it can be daunting and make me feel insignificant knowing that the universe doesn't care about me". And that is the truth, the universe doesn't care what you believe. We atheists quote that a lot, but at the same time, those yet undecided could read that comment and feel emotionally drawn to the "happier" choice.

My full response to this topic can be read here: http://scepticalprophet.wordpress.com/20...w-on-life/

Tl;dr:

What theists consider to be comforting – the promise of eternal life – I think is just cheapening the value of life. It is no longer rare because it is no longer fleeting. It is not precious.

As for belonging to something greater than yourself, what bigger thing is there than the universe? The atoms in your left hand could have come from a different star than the atoms of your right hand, billions of years ago somewhere in the universe. Some people feel insignificant when they think about how vast the universe is, but just imagine – your entire existence was created by things infinitesimally greater than yourself.
So what’s more comforting? That’s up to you to decide. But for me, life has never been more fleeting, and thus precious, more tiny, and thus grand, than when I discovered science and truth.
Oh, this is so true! I found that all of a sudden, life became more precious and amazing after I consciously understood that there likely is not life after death. It's true - the promise eternal life cheapens the value of life. I actually used to get almost disturbed thinking about living so long - like, what would we do to kill the time after tens of billions of years? Life is special because it is fleeting.
Being an atheist also removes any previous barriers I had to live up to religion's expectations, or other's (Parents, friends, family, etc.) expectations. It's like, wow, I only have one shot. I am going to make sure I am happy and do what it is my heart is telling me to do as opposed to join in on this fake cycle everyone else seems to follow.
Suddenly, what happens to the world after I die becomes more relevant, because there is no supernatural power that is going to come down and save it. We control what will happen for future generations.
Anyway, good response!
23-02-2013, 02:35 PM (This post was last modified: 23-02-2013 02:41 PM by Flowergurl.)
I checked out your blog, too. Looks good!
23-02-2013, 02:36 PM
(23-02-2013 06:14 AM)Sceptical Prophet Wrote:  But for me, life has never been more fleeting, and thus precious, more tiny, and thus grand, than when I discovered science and truth.

You might want to check out this thread for similar sentiments from the folks here
RE: Since I De-Converted from Christianity to Atheism, _______________ .

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
23-02-2013, 02:51 PM
I'm actually really glad you posted this; it offers another way to think about the fact that this life is all we have, and that maybe that isn't such a bad thing.

Religion used to make me feel bad for every human thing I did in my life. Things like having sex with a person I wanted to spend the rest of my life with was shameful; reading my favorite books was a sin. It made me feel like I was something that needed fixing, and any good thing I did wasn't because of my generosity but because of some god that judges every move I made.

Now I feel free to actually live my life. I can do good things because I want to; I can be intimate with someone because that's what humans do, and there is no sin in it. It's kind of cool once you think about it.
[+] 1 user Likes The Talking Goat's post
23-02-2013, 11:12 PM
(23-02-2013 02:26 PM)Flowergurl Wrote:  
(23-02-2013 06:14 AM)Sceptical Prophet Wrote:  I'm actually pleasantly surprised that this subforum exists. Even though the argument that "religion provides a happier life" is self-evidently false (not in the least because happiness is subjective), I still feel that being able to show happiness as an atheist is still important. Not because the argument deserves an answer, but because those sitting on the fence won't be swayed by misinformation.

Tl;dr:

Oh, this is so true! I found that all of a sudden, life became more precious and amazing after I consciously understood that there likely is not life after death. It's true - the promise eternal life cheapens the value of life. I actually used to get almost disturbed thinking about living so long - like, what would we do to kill the time after tens of billions of years? Life is special because it is fleeting.
Being an atheist also removes any previous barriers I had to live up to religion's expectations, or other's (Parents, friends, family, etc.) expectations. It's like, wow, I only have one shot. I am going to make sure I am happy and do what it is my heart is telling me to do as opposed to join in on this fake cycle everyone else seems to follow.
Suddenly, what happens to the world after I die becomes more relevant, because there is no supernatural power that is going to come down and save it. We control what will happen for future generations.
Anyway, good response!
Great point. Everything you do is definitely more relevant when you remove that "safety net" of religion. You have to take responsibility for yourself, but you also lose all the restrictions and find true freedom.

(23-02-2013 02:36 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(23-02-2013 06:14 AM)Sceptical Prophet Wrote:  But for me, life has never been more fleeting, and thus precious, more tiny, and thus grand, than when I discovered science and truth.

You might want to check out this thread for similar sentiments from the folks here
RE: Since I De-Converted from Christianity to Atheism, _______________ .
Thanks for the heads up!

(23-02-2013 02:51 PM)The Talking Goat Wrote:  I'm actually really glad you posted this; it offers another way to think about the fact that this life is all we have, and that maybe that isn't such a bad thing.

Religion used to make me feel bad for every human thing I did in my life. Things like having sex with a person I wanted to spend the rest of my life with was shameful; reading my favorite books was a sin. It made me feel like I was something that needed fixing, and any good thing I did wasn't because of my generosity but because of some god that judges every move I made.

Now I feel free to actually live my life. I can do good things because I want to; I can be intimate with someone because that's what humans do, and there is no sin in it. It's kind of cool once you think about it.
To be made to feel guilty about natural human emotions and actions is some serious violation of humanity. So much for morals. I'm glad you've found freedom and a much happier life after casting away the shackles of religion.

Science, logic and how they destroy religious arguments @ http://scepticalprophet.wordpress.com/

To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today.
- Isaac Asimov.
Faith means not wanting to know what is true.
- Friedrich Nietzsche
24-02-2013, 02:44 AM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2013 02:47 AM by Buddy Christ.)
Earth is a spaceship, void of oxygen except for 2 tanks, each attached to a person. Each oxygen tank has an electronic meter on it that reveals that each tank only has an hour of oxygen left.

The atheist accepts the meter as truth, because he has no reason not to. He immediately sets off making the most out of every second and cherishing the small amount of life he is given.

The theist scoffs at the meter, rejecting information he is given because he believes it's a test of faith by a divine oxygen giver. He believes he will have enough oxygen for all eternity. So the theist takes a nap for an hour.

The theist is a very insane human being.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."