The believers revolt - a voyage into the surreal world of the fundamentalist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2012, 03:37 PM
The believers revolt - a voyage into the surreal world of the fundamentalist.
Hi forum,

I rarely post, infrequently comment and I am not used to doing this. Please bear with me.

But Egor has both annoyed and offended me, not once, but twice. Sun Tzu advises me that I should understand my opponent, so I shall in turns in turns infrequently, inadequately and inconsistently commence my review of The Believers Revolt, Egors blog. I welcome comment from my atheist brethren. I do this because he is doing it to us. I appreciate this is tit for tat, but there is nothing good on TV.

My open invitation to Egor is for him to either correct, amend and perhaps even apologize for what is a rather...unusual website. I shall begin with the opening page, the websites shop window. I shall include screenshots, just to keep us all honest.

Part 1 ~ The illustrations & mission statement. (should be read accompanied by the awesome Sunday Girl ~ Where is my mind, a very good cover of the Pixies original)

Okay, let's start with illustrations on the blog.

[Image: knightgf.jpg]

This picture is a rather historically inaccurate illustration of a knight Templar. The building behind the Templar is what appears to be a crudely drawn French town, a Templar in his home town would have had no need for a helmet, unless he was at a tournament, in which case he'd have a lance, full armor and a bigger shield. The Templar's were a fascinating bunch and we know few facts, but lots of legends...a dilemma many free thinkers encounter when talking about Christianity.

Things we know about Templar's: they primarily existed to kill Muslims during a 200 year long festival of Church-sanctioned slaughter called the crusades. They were very political. They were savvy businessmen and could be said to have formed the first multinational corporation.

It would be wrong to draw too much from this image, but it's an image of aggression rather than kindness. Of racism over tolerance and conquest over contentment. It sets the scene.

[Image: godjn.jpg]

The other picture I think is meant to be God. He has a beard and is an old man, he could be a slightly angry looking Santa Claus or possibly one of disciples of Jesus...Peter perhaps? Initially I thought it was the God from the Sistine Chapel, but it isn't. So either it's meant to be God, which is fine, or it's a slightly bemused elderly gentlemen. He looking downwards, so perhaps he's dropped his spectacles or something.

So, what else do we have? Well we have a kind of mission statement:

[Image: ed1zy.jpg]

This is really fascinating and needs to be dissected into rather small chunks before it becomes even understandable. "Atheism is growing" is something we can all agree with. The number of people who are willing to call themselves atheists is increasing, whether that is indicative of growth or people are less fearful of religious reprisal than they were is an interesting question, but it's not for debate here.

What is up for debate is the actual statement:
Quote:"Atheism is growing as a major religious & political force."

This isn't true and let's look at the religious angle first: there is no organized atheist practice of belief, no organized rituals, no acknowledged leader, no 'good book' (but plenty of good books) and most importantly no funny hats. Based on available evidence, funny hats are a critical building block of a major religion, we atheists are sadly lacking in that area. Atheism certainly is a school of thought, some may feel compelled to call it a religion but to call it a religious force is not accurate.

So what of a "major political force" Well, there are atheist political parties, but they are tiny and have no consensus even amongst atheists, let alone in a wider political debate. In the UK where I live, one of the most secular societies on the planet, we have no atheist party that has a single seat in Parliament. The same can be said of France, Germany and Spain. It's entirely possible that some of these politicians are atheists, but they didn't get elected purely on atheist policies.

Therefore atheism is not a religion by any conventional (nor unconventional measure) and it is also not a "major political force."

Okay, next sentence (I know, it's hard work) "I think it's time for believers everywhere to stand up and revolt." Okay, we've debunked the foundation of this opinion, so I'm puzzled as to what exactly the believers are going to revolt against? Presumably, this is an exhortation to the theists to 'rise up' against the perceived dark forces of atheism that are somehow at play as a religious and political force...even though atheists are not. Note, we have 'uprisings' not 'upstandings', typically we are 'upstanding' in honor of something e.g 'Be upstanding for the bride & groom.' We have uprisings against tyrannical governments etc. So it's not only nonsense, it's a weak metaphor, I'm not sure which is worse.

Moving on...
Quote:"I think the best way I can revolt is to spread the true Gospel message of Jesus Christ as far and wide as I can,"

Is this not the mandate of all theists? Surely a believer should be doing this anyway? In no way could this be considered a 'revolt' against anything? I eat cake because I like cake, not out of any kind of revolt against ice cream. Surely Christians peddle their gospel because they want to, not as a revolt against atheists? Odd.

Quote:"and that's what Beleivers' Revolt is all about. So, get ready for the smackdown."

Believers is spelt wrong above because it's a direct quote...but semantics aside, according to this message, the website should be about telling people about Jesus. But, as we'll discover later, very few articles actually mention the gospels, which means this is untrue. The website is about being openly critical of atheists, their morality and their belief system. It's also about scientific discoveries and concepts and whether the author deems them to be divinely inspired or not. I think smackdown is wrestling parlance for one fighter besting the other. I have yet to discover how the website achieves this but look forward to learning more as I study the undoubtedly interesting articles.

Let's wrap up with some conclusions:

1. Edward/Igor believes that the anti-Muslim, anti-Semitic, homophobic, sexist, homicidal, catholic, crusader knight is a relevant brand to associate with his website.

2. There is an old man who might be God, or possibly an elderly relative also on the banner. His relevance to the blog is unclear.

3. The confusion in the banner is exacerbated by the mission statement which is in turns incorrect, poorly informed, miss-spelled, ungrammatical and odd.

I shall update the forum with my progress through Edward/Egors website.

"Christianity is like a diet where you eat lots of chocolate cake all week, and then on Sunday you mentally scold yourself and "try again" only to repeat the cycle." - Buddy Christ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Shannow's post
30-01-2012, 03:50 PM
RE: The believers revolt - a voyage into the surreal world of the fundamentalist.
tl;dr

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
31-01-2012, 08:44 AM
RE: The believers revolt - a voyage into the surreal world of the fundamentalist.
In my previous post I was criticised for being overly verbose – for the uninitiated TL DR means “Too long didn’t read” – thank goodness for the Urban dictionary, every day’s a school day! Y’all probably knew that...with your rebellious hair and your new-fangled electric typewriters.

So, I will aim to be pithy & precise, exact in my enquiry. I’m probably failing already, sorry.

Today we shall begin our tour of Egors articles. We shall forage into the true heartland of the fundamentalist mindset and see what truffles we root out.

On “The Believers Revolt” on Jan 27th, we considered the weighty matter of “Should we hate Westboro Baptist Church?” Before we go any further, I’ve linked to the wiki on the Baptists of Westboro and will operate on the assumption that you’re up to speed on WBC.

According to Egor, apparently we shouldn’t hate them. They’re just misguided scamps with their lies and rhetoric, but really they’re nice people who just want to make placards and protest funerals of dead soldiers and just you know...want to save your soul from hell? By protesting? And being offensive?

Mid way through the post there is a u-turn and apparently the question of the blog post isn’t “Should we hate Westboro Baptist Church?” But is in fact “Do the people of Westboro Baptist Church hate people?”

Well...yes they do. They’ve been classified by the Anti Defamation League as a Hate Group. WBC say on their website that the god they represent hates Jews, Gays, Christians?!, Blacks and America. So yes, they hate everyone except the 40 members of WBC. This question is by no means up for debate. It has already been answered. They’re a hate group, a simple Google would have highlighted this. Their website is godhatesfags.com...this is a clue.

As the post progresses, we discover that he envies the Westboro people. I must highlight that Egor at no point agrees or supports the racist and homophobic sentiments expressed by WBC, but is in fact envious of their dedication to a cause and their stubborn refusal to accept what 99.9% of humanity is telling them.

This is a fascinating insight into the mind of a fundamentalist. If I consider who I envy, WBC would not make the list. People like Galileo, Martin Luther King and Charles Darwin all risked persecution, ignorance and rejection for their ideas, but through creativity, inspirational communication and tenacity, the world embraced their ideas and is a better place for it. How would the world be a better place if we embraced any of Westboro’s ideas?

More to come, thank you for your time.

"Christianity is like a diet where you eat lots of chocolate cake all week, and then on Sunday you mentally scold yourself and "try again" only to repeat the cycle." - Buddy Christ
[+] 6 users Like Shannow's post
31-01-2012, 08:59 AM
(31-01-2012 08:44 AM)Shannow Wrote:  According to Egor, apparently we shouldn’t hate them. They’re just misguided scamps with their lies and rhetoric, but really they’re nice people who just want to make placards and protest funerals of dead soldiers and just you know...want to save your soul from hell? By protesting? And being offensive?
Well that's what Egor does too... and he has some kind of weird sense that he's doing something morally right. I suspect Westboro baptist are rather more cynical - just using their freedom of speech and religion rights to air their repulsive views.

Quote:envious of their dedication to a cause and their stubborn refusal to accept what 99.9% of humanity is telling them.

This is a fascinating insight into the mind of a fundamentalist.
... Yeah Tongue I must say I applaud your own dedication - I couldn't go pick apart this guy's blog, I'd go nuts. Maybe you will Smile
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
31-01-2012, 09:08 AM

Excellent work here.

Egor seems like the Ted Haggard type of Christan. The kind that rails against something SO hard due to a secret desire to do just that.

He's really demonstrated the 'measure of a man' he is....and is truly ugly from the inside out.

I could have done with out his real picture, as i had a different image in my head as to what he looked like. I pictured that old grumpy puppet of Jeff Dunham's. The one with the permanent frown.

I spent years in fundamentalism. I was never like ole Egor, but i knew many like him and even when i was on the inside i was alway perplexed at the dirty/gritty methods. When i'd get away from those types all i wanted to do was take a bath.

Words are wasted on Egor as he's got it ALL figured out. His fairy tale is complete in his head and now he wants to cram it down your throat...or tell you how you will spend the pretend life after this REAL one. As stated before, its truly a terrible way to life this life. Constantly in aggravation with this burning desire to show everyone your junk.

Know Religion, NO peace.

Egor is NOT a peaceful guy. He seems like the guy that wanders into any conversation at a party and by the 2nd sentence is blathering on about;
1. The good news
2. Threat of non Christians in the world and how to eradicate them
3. BOTH

I'd heard it said years ago, there's nothing worse than a reformed smoker or a born again Christian.

D
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Denicio's post
31-01-2012, 09:09 AM
Interesting. You seem to have a good grasp on our tumor friend egor. Ignore those who do not have the attention span to read your posts.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 2 users Like Hamata k's post
31-01-2012, 09:10 AM

I've had to take some time to get mentally healthy again (In other words, I had to finish my taxes), and I come back and here's this bizzaro worship of my blog by some guy in Scotland.

What really offends me is that he accuses me of misspellings but doesn't say what or where. I did find one misspelled word in my mission statement. I hope that was it or I'll look like an idiot instead of a theological genius.Sad

Anyway, here's what the future holds:

More blog posts.
Video posts on YouTube
A series of short religious books (So far, twenty-five. The first is about how to believe in God, the next will be on the existence of the immortal soul, and then I'm thinking of one on a type of very simple Christianity that I hope will start Reformation II).
There will be a website with blog and forum reviews.
From there we'll see where God leads.
(31-01-2012 09:09 AM)Hamata k Wrote:  Interesting. You seem to have a good grasp on our tumor friend egor. Ignore those who do not have the attention span to read your posts.

Man, even I didn't read the whole thing--and it's about me!
31-01-2012, 09:13 AM
(31-01-2012 09:10 AM)Egor Wrote:  I've had to take some time to get menatlly healthy again (In other words, I had to finish my taxes), and I come back and here's this bizzaro worship of my blog by some guy in Scottland.

What really offends me is that he accuses me of mispellings but doesn't say what or where. I did find one mispelled word in my mission statement. I hope that was it or I'll look like an idiot instead of a theological genius.Sad

More blog posts.
Video posts on YouTube
A series of short religious books (So far, twenty-five. The first is about how to believe in God, the next will be on the existence of the immortal soul, and then I'm thinking of one on a type of very simple Christianity that I hope will start Reformation II).

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
31-01-2012, 09:24 AM

(31-01-2012 09:13 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(31-01-2012 09:10 AM)Egor Wrote:  I've had to take some time to get mentally healthy again (In other words, I had to finish my taxes), and I come back and here's this bizarre worship of my blog by some guy in Scottland.

What really offends me is that he accuses me of mispellings but doesn't say what or where. I did find one mispelled word in my mission statement. I hope that was it or I'll look like an idiot instead of a theological genius.Sad

More blog posts.
Video posts on YouTube

KC, You da man!!! How frakkin funny is that!!! BUT you missed his spelling Scotland.

Oh OH OH !! I cant wait for the 25 books! Oh Goodie! Hopefully its not the same books that all my christian pals send me when they discover i am a humanist. I have quite a nice collection of all kinds of apologetic literature thanks to my pals. I wonder if any of these 25 books that they uncover something new.
A book on how to believe in god sounds amazing, i wonder if it reads like a user manual to a microwave??

I think those that still have unanswered questions from Egor need to create a special thread of Egor's Unanswered and see if he'll man up with answers. He is the one that promises of a smackdown. SO lets see if Capitan Insano has what it takes (waterboy reference, not to your intelligence).

D
31-01-2012, 09:27 AM
(31-01-2012 09:24 AM)Denicio Wrote:  
(31-01-2012 09:13 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(31-01-2012 09:10 AM)Egor Wrote:  I've had to take some time to get mentally healthy again (In other words, I had to finish my taxes), and I come back and here's this bizarre worship of my blog by some guy in Scottland.

More blog posts.
Video posts on YouTube

KC, You da man!!! How frakkin funny is that!!! BUT you missed his spelling Scotland.

Oh OH OH !! I cant wait for the 25 books! Oh Goodie! Hopefully its not the same books that all my christian pals send me when they discover i am a humanist. I have quite a nice collection of all kinds of apologetic literature thanks to my pals. I wonder if any of these 25 books that they uncover something new.
A book on how to believe in god sounds amazing, i wonder if it reads like a user manual to a microwave??

I think those that still have unanswered questions from Egor need to create a special thread of Egor's Unanswered and see if he'll man up with answers. He is the one that promises of a smackdown. SO lets see if Capitan Insano has what it takes (waterboy reference, not to your intelligence).

D

Crap, I did. Well, I guess I should have spent more than 15 seconds proofing it.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post