The best Christmas songs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2012, 07:44 AM
RE: The best Christmas songs
(05-12-2012 11:02 AM)Vera Wrote:  I prefer another version, but cannot find it online.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDc2FD-vy8M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obLayCNhbHw

A better example of the thesis that if there is a divine it is best expressed through music than any other medium is hard to find.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Humakt's post
25-12-2012, 07:53 AM
(25-12-2012 07:44 AM)Humakt Wrote:  A better example of the thesis that if there is a divine it is best expressed through music than any other medium is hard to find.
Had heard the second one, didn't like the lady in the first one too much, but over all - good interpretations, too. Thumbsup My favourite is by an ensemble called Theatre of Voices.

Yeah, I've heard this argument, too - some singer was telling me once that music was proof there is some sort of intelligent force behind the universe or something. I myself prefer to see music as the expression of all that is great in human beings. So music is the best medium to express not the divine, but the human Yes

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
25-12-2012, 08:23 AM
(25-12-2012 07:53 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(25-12-2012 07:44 AM)Humakt Wrote:  A better example of the thesis that if there is a divine it is best expressed through music than any other medium is hard to find.
Had heard the second one, didn't like the lady in the first one too much, but over all - good interpretations, too. Thumbsup My favourite is by an ensemble called Theatre of Voices.

Yeah, I've heard this argument, too - some singer was telling me once that music was proof there is some sort of intelligent force behind the universe or something. I myself prefer to see music as the expression of all that is great in human beings. So music is the best medium to express not the divine, but the human Yes
Smile, perhaps it is were we humans approach closest to being divine. I just know, the ode to joy moves me in a way no sermon, ideology, scientific proof or philosophy can come close to competing with.
But, I think in contradiction to the singer you mention, where he sees proof for an intelligence behind the universe, the fact that we make it serves only to enforce that we don't require such a being.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
25-12-2012, 08:39 AM

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
25-12-2012, 08:50 AM
(25-12-2012 08:23 AM)Humakt Wrote:  Smile, perhaps it is were we humans approach closest to being divine. I just know, the ode to joy moves me in a way no sermon, ideology, scientific proof or philosophy can come close to competing with.

Amen! And I can add so many more.

Quote:But, I think in contradiction to the singer you mention, where he sees proof for an intelligence behind the universe, the fact that we make it serves only to enforce that we don't require such a being.
I truly don't see why it's easier for some people to attribute some of the best achievements of humanity to some invisible (not to mention, non-existent) power, than to their own race. Why do we insist on feeling shame about being human to this very day (or in this day and age, if you will Tongue )?

25-12-2012, 09:22 AM
(25-12-2012 08:50 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(25-12-2012 08:23 AM)Humakt Wrote:  Smile, perhaps it is were we humans approach closest to being divine. I just know, the ode to joy moves me in a way no sermon, ideology, scientific proof or philosophy can come close to competing with.

Amen! And I can add so many more.

Quote:But, I think in contradiction to the singer you mention, where he sees proof for an intelligence behind the universe, the fact that we make it serves only to enforce that we don't require such a being.
I truly don't see why it's easier for some people to attribute some of the best achievements of humanity to some invisible (not to mention, non-existent) power, than to their own race. Why do we insist on feeling shame about being human to this very day (or in this day and age, if you will Tongue )?
I suspect from the Tongue, youve seen me rant on that phrase before. If we were only about the music Id go along with you though, unfortunate though it may be for everything we have to be proud of there are a plethora for which shame is maybe appropriate.

25-12-2012, 09:29 AM
(25-12-2012 09:22 AM)Humakt Wrote:  I suspect from the Tongue, youve seen me rant on that phrase before. If we were only about the music Id go along with you though, unfortunate though it may be for everything we have to be proud of there are a plethora for which shame is maybe appropriate.
Why not have both? Pride when appropriate and shame when called for. Much better than attributing everything good to sky daddy and everything bad to our inherent evilness or to sky daddy's arch enemy. I'd take flawed human being over mindless pawn without a will of its own, any day of the week.

25-12-2012, 09:50 AM
(25-12-2012 08:39 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

I got that album (yes, kiddies, on vinyl) when I was a kid. Now when I hear one of the songs I understand why it drove my parents nuts!

'See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way.' -JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
25-12-2012, 10:23 AM
The best Christmas songs
(25-12-2012 09:50 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(25-12-2012 08:39 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

I got that album (yes, kiddies, on vinyl) when I was a kid. Now when I hear one of the songs I understand why it drove my parents nuts!

And you played it on your gramophone?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
25-12-2012, 10:41 AM
(25-12-2012 09:29 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(25-12-2012 09:22 AM)Humakt Wrote:  I suspect from the Tongue, youve seen me rant on that phrase before. If we were only about the music Id go along with you though, unfortunate though it may be for everything we have to be proud of there are a plethora for which shame is maybe appropriate.
Why not have both? Pride when appropriate and shame when called for. Much better than attributing everything good to sky daddy and everything bad to our inherent evilness or to sky daddy's arch enemy. I'd take flawed human being over mindless pawn without a will of its own, any day of the week.
You'd really need to address that enquiry to someone who believes in a skydaddy.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Great songs...got jebus in 'em... pablo628 58 559 22-05-2014 09:00 AM
Last Post: dancefortwo
  Merry Fucking Christmas! or Bah, Humbug! Dark Light 38 1,364 27-12-2013 07:28 AM
Last Post: Revenant77x
  CHRISTMAS CAME EARLY!!! cheapthrillseaker 26 569 26-12-2013 10:54 PM
Last Post: LadyJane
  Merry Christmas NK! BrokenQuill92 1 161 24-12-2013 05:08 PM
Last Post: DemonicLemon
  How to Christmas the right way Ferdinand 25 730 21-12-2013 09:39 AM
Last Post: Revenant77x
  HELP ME! Christmas shopping rush time! Adrianime 27 590 14-12-2013 08:21 PM
Last Post: Adrianime
  Why so many sad xmas songs? OddGamer 15 390 03-12-2013 09:33 PM
Last Post: Juv