The best part about having an imaginary friend...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2010, 07:41 AM
The best part about having an imaginary friend...
...is that you can change his nature to fit your needs in an argument.

This post isn't much in the way of mind altering speculation. I just wanted to point out one of the driving obvious "proofs" that daily bolsters my atheist stance. I argue with a lot of theists for some reason on a daily basis, and the one thing that remains consistent is that when a theist hits the logical wall, they will change something about the nature or attributes of their god, rendering the last 15 minutes of arguing to be inconsequential.

If you demonstrate through a scientific formula that the earth is at least 150,000 years old; time has a different meaning and can be manipulated by god. If after the Cosmological Argument, you ask who created god; god transcends the rules of physics and of the argument itself and doesn't need a creator. And if you ask why there is so much pain and suffering of the loved creations of an omnipotent being, suddenly god has ulterior motives or limited power.

My point is that it is apparent that their god is literally and completely "personal." I.E. belonging to that individual, I.E. only existing in the constructs of that individual's mind, I.E. imaginary.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2010, 08:53 AM
RE: The best part about having an imaginary friend...
Quote:My point is that it is apparent that their god is literally and completely "personal." I.E. belonging to that individual, I.E. only existing in the constructs of that individual's mind, I.E. imaginary.
Indeed. And I've been wondering how can they know so much stuff that isn't found in their holy book about their God. It's like little boys playing with some action figures and giving them all kinds of super powers one after another. Big Grin
''My god has evidence immunity!''
''O' yea? Well my god exists outside the reach of science!''
''Na'haa.''
''Ya'haa.''

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
16-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Yes , only difference being kids don't start holy wars or fly planes into buildings because of who's action figure is best.
16-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Quote:Yes , only difference being kids don't start holy wars or fly planes into buildings because of who's action figure is best.
They don't do that in their plays? Real life is different of course.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
16-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Now that I think about it... if planes were flown into 9/11 in the name of pleasing Dr. Doom and we retaliated by praying to the Fantastic Four and attacked... I would find it no more ridiculous. People just like to pick a team and then fight beyond logic for it: be it Jesus, the Knicks, or Team Jacob (I had to google that one, relax).

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
16-12-2010, 06:55 PM

(16-12-2010 07:41 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  My point is that it is apparent that their god is literally and completely "personal." I.E. belonging to that individual, I.E. only existing in the constructs of that individual's mind, I.E. imaginary.

The fact that "outside of nature" and "imaginary" are completely indistinguishable helped seal the deal on my atheism.
Quote this message in a reply
17-12-2010, 02:06 AM
(16-12-2010 11:50 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Now that I think about it... if planes were flown into 9/11 in the name of pleasing Dr. Doom and we retaliated by praying to the Fantastic Four and attacked... I would find it no more ridiculous. People just like to pick a team and then fight beyond logic for it: be it Jesus, the Knicks, or Team Jacob (I had to google that one, relax).

There is an entire field of advertisement called "tribal branding" that exploits this.See the ongoing feud between Mac and PC , car brands , etc.
The research and proof of our absurd allegiance making is right there but people do not study it.