The bible is without error..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-11-2014, 10:38 AM (This post was last modified: 16-11-2014 11:10 AM by goodwithoutgod.)
The bible is without error..
Yeah, well not actually. I was responding to an email from a fellow TTA member, and told this story to him, as I had used it last week against my literalist Christian boss who told me there is no errors in the bible, and thought I would share:

One of my favorite hammers for "the bible doesn't have errors" is this story from jesus:

Mark 2:25-26
…25 And He said to them, "Have you never read what David did when he was in need and he and his companions became hungry;

26 how he entered the house of God in the time of Abiathar the high priest, and ate the consecrated bread, which is not lawful for anyone to eat except the priests, and he also gave it to those who were with him?"

Now the problem with that is in accordance with the old testament story that jesus is citing (1 Sam. 21:1-6), it shows that David did this not when Abiathar was the high priest, but, in fact, when Abiathar's father Ahimelech was.

"....Then David came to Nob to Ahimelech the priest;..."

Odd that jesus didn't know that, and odd that they have such a glaring error in the bible. I pointed this out to a literalist friend of mine just the other day...he of course blamed that on translational error. But for deconverting literalists, it is these little gems that chip away at their delusion. Once you plant a bit of doubt, the floodgates may open.

Big Grin

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
16-11-2014, 11:02 AM
RE: The bible is without error..
That's a good one, I don't suppose that Jesus had a bad memory would be acceptable to them. Laugh out load

Though I might prefer to ask them if God created plants or humans first, and get back to me when they figure it out.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
16-11-2014, 11:13 AM
In "Jesus Interrupted", Bart Ehrman cites a number of "errors", in the chapter "A World of Contradictions".

One of the most famous is Matthew quoting the wrong prophet (27:9-10)
"That which was spoken through the prophet Jeremiah ... they took thirty pieces of silver (etc) and gave them for the potters field" (in which the ORIGINAL quote refers to the rebuilding of the TEMPLE, not a human body).
Oops.
It wasn't Jeremiah. He never said anything remotely similar.
It was Zechariah 11:3

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
16-11-2014, 12:11 PM
(16-11-2014 11:13 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  It wasn't Jeremiah. He never said anything remotely similar.
It was Zechariah 11:3

Can you blame him?
Jeremiah, Zechariah, Hezekiah, Obadiah, Obladee, Obladah, life goes on...

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post