The bible's real purpose

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2014, 07:19 PM
The bible's real purpose
Having studied for years the history of the bible, and the real or fictional characters in it, and the history of the times, here is one of my main conclusions, which I present for comment and criticism....

Authorities in churches claim the bible exists for people’s benefit, yet I think it was created for crowd control.

God didn’t write it, nor did bona-fide historians, or people discussing what they thought was the truth, or people who genuinely cared about their readers. It was scrawled by power hungry priests and propagandists; spin-doctors asserting their own authority.

They had a similar agenda to people who currently work in advertising agencies, and their writings share many of the features of an advertising campaign. The Bible was written to profit certain groups; it contains little of true value, and its authors tried to appeal to the emotions and dreams of the masses to push a product. It was written for the hoi polloi, the gullible gatherings, the naive people, the consumers; those who are easily impressed by promises and frightened by threats. It was thought up to promote power over them and empty their pockets. It worked, and this is the main reason it’s survived the passage of time. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TudX_15VCA4 ).

All talk about spirituality, morals and ethics in the bible is just floss designed to disguise the above.

Promoting biblical propaganda is an old trick still used today. Priests and preachers want the people dreaming and scheming about the after-life, as that gives them power. Preaching the bible requires no real resources to get results. Stories of gods, miracles, prophets, promises of heaven and threats of hell require nothing more than confidence and an active imagination to advertise.

The bible is a product of the petty politics of power-hungry people. The very core of Christianity has no legitimate authority. It’s nothing more than a mountain of superstitious nonsense.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like Mark Fulton's post
09-04-2014, 07:22 PM
RE: The bible's real purpose
I concur.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
09-04-2014, 07:27 PM
Well Mark, I don't have much to add. I agree with every word. With the exception of the very last.

I don't doubt for a second that what's in the bible makes very good sense, so long as you know who wrote it, and who they wrote it for.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
09-04-2014, 07:35 PM
(09-04-2014 07:27 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Well Mark, I don't have much to add. I agree with every word. With the exception of the very last.

I don't doubt for a second that what's in the bible makes very good sense, so long as you know who wrote it, and who they wrote it for.

I agree Yes

[Image: notagain.gif]
09-04-2014, 08:24 PM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2014 09:39 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Certainly the OT was all about politics and control, but the Christian cult would have just remained an insignificant sect of Jews unless Rome chose to use the already extant sect for political purposes. In that sense the NT was *used* (but their texts maybe not created) for crowd control. I suspect the original core group REALLY did think the "end of the age was immanent". Constantine *said* he converted, but we know he continued to worship his old gods (something that seems to have escaped Ehrman in his new book, for some odd reason). The Quran was also cooked up for crowd control, (as Spencer has pointed out).

I've been wondering lately how long it will take for the present set of deities to go out of fashion just like all their predecessors .. and how long it will take for humans to look back on the "age of religions" as an anachronistic phase.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
09-04-2014, 09:23 PM
(09-04-2014 07:19 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Having studied for years the history of the bible, and the real or fictional characters in it, and the history of the times, here is one of my main conclusions, which I present for comment and criticism....

Authorities in churches claim the bible exists for people’s benefit, yet I think it was created for crowd control.

God didn’t write it, nor did bona-fide historians, or people discussing what they thought was the truth, or people who genuinely cared about their readers. It was scrawled by power hungry priests and propagandists; spin-doctors asserting their own authority.

They had a similar agenda to people who currently work in advertising agencies, and their writings share many of the features of an advertising campaign. The Bible was written to profit certain groups; it contains little of true value, and its authors tried to appeal to the emotions and dreams of the masses to push a product. It was written for the hoi polloi, the gullible gatherings, the naive people, the consumers; those who are easily impressed by promises and frightened by threats. It was thought up to promote power over them and empty their pockets. It worked, and this is the main reason it’s survived the passage of time. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TudX_15VCA4 ).

All talk about spirituality, morals and ethics in the bible is just floss designed to disguise the above.

Promoting biblical propaganda is an old trick still used today. Priests and preachers want the people dreaming and scheming about the after-life, as that gives them power. Preaching the bible requires no real resources to get results. Stories of gods, miracles, prophets, promises of heaven and threats of hell require nothing more than confidence and an active imagination to advertise.

The bible is a product of the petty politics of power-hungry people. The very core of Christianity has no legitimate authority. It’s nothing more than a mountain of superstitious nonsense.

It took you years of studying to figure this out? Facepalm

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
09-04-2014, 09:50 PM
Agree, not much more to add, really.

Not sure if any other book ever ''written'' weilds as much imaginary ''power'' as the Bible, however.

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
09-04-2014, 09:59 PM
(09-04-2014 07:19 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Having studied for years the history of the bible, and the real or fictional characters in it, and the history of the times, here is one of my main conclusions, which I present for comment and criticism....

I'm going to disagree in the details. Until the 14th century, the Bible wasn't intended to be read by the everyday mob. It wasn't in the right language, most of the faithful couldn't read in the first place, and hand-copied Bibles were too expensive for a general distribution to render them read by even a majority of the people. As a form of crowd control, it would have been obviously ineffective. Sure, it could be read to them (and interpreted for them) by priests... but priests without a holy book could simply have delivered any message, with the same affect.*

So no. I think the purpose of the Bible wasn't to control the crowd. It was to control, unify, and standardize the PRIESTS. It was to place a leash, not on the rabble, but on the people leading the rabble, who would in turn be lead by the higher ranks of the Church. Using modern public education as a metaphor, it was not intended as a textbook for the students, but as curriculum standards for the teachers.

Just my two cents.

*And also the same effect.
09-04-2014, 10:41 PM
Quote:Authorities in churches claim the bible exists for people’s benefit, yet I think it was created for crowd control.

No shit Sherlock... Tongue

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
09-04-2014, 11:30 PM
(09-04-2014 09:23 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  

It took you years of studying to figure this out? Facepalm

Yeah. I'm not as intuitive or smart as some. I learnt a lot along the way.