The bible's real purpose

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2014, 11:42 PM
RE: The bible's real purpose
(09-04-2014 09:59 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(09-04-2014 07:19 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Having studied for years the history of the bible, and the real or fictional characters in it, and the history of the times, here is one of my main conclusions, which I present for comment and criticism....

Authorities in churches claim the bible exists for people’s benefit, yet I think it was created for crowd control.

God didn’t write it, nor did bona-fide historians, or people discussing what they thought was the truth, or people who genuinely cared about their readers. It was scrawled by power hungry priests and propagandists; spin-doctors asserting their own authority.

They had a similar agenda to people who currently work in advertising agencies, and their writings share many of the features of an advertising campaign. The Bible was written to profit certain groups; it contains little of true value, and its authors tried to appeal to the emotions and dreams of the masses to push a product. It was written for the hoi polloi, the gullible gatherings, the naive people, the consumers; those who are easily impressed by promises and frightened by threats. It was thought up to promote power over them and empty their pockets. It worked, and this is the main reason it’s survived the passage of time. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TudX_15VCA4 ).

All talk about spirituality, morals and ethics in the bible is just floss designed to disguise the above.

Promoting biblical propaganda is an old trick still used today. Priests and preachers want the people dreaming and scheming about the after-life, as that gives them power. Preaching the bible requires no real resources to get results. Stories of gods, miracles, prophets, promises of heaven and threats of hell require nothing more than confidence and an active imagination to advertise.

The bible is a product of the petty politics of power-hungry people. The very core of Christianity has no legitimate authority. It’s nothing more than a mountain of superstitious nonsense.

I'm going to disagree in the details. Until the 14th century, the Bible wasn't intended to be read by the everyday mob. It wasn't in the right language, most of the faithful couldn't read in the first place, and hand-copied Bibles were too expensive for a general distribution to render them read by even a majority of the people. As a form of crowd control, it would have been obviously ineffective. Sure, it could be read to them (and interpreted for them) by priests... but priests without a holy book could simply have delivered any message, with the same affect.*

So no. I think the purpose of the Bible wasn't to control the crowd. It was to control, unify, and standardize the PRIESTS. It was to place a leash, not on the rabble, but on the people leading the rabble, who would in turn be lead by the higher ranks of the Church. Using modern public education as a metaphor, it was not intended as a textbook for the students, but as curriculum standards for the teachers.

Just my two cents.

*And also the same effect.

Very astute and interesting comment.

Yes, I agree, in part. Priests wrote a fair bit of the bible so as to teach other priests how to control the people.

I also think people in power, who weren't necessary priests, also wrote parts of the bible or had them written, to control both priests and the people.

I do also think that the bible was written to appeal to the common man. Ultimately it was the little person who needed to be convinced of the bullshit. Hence we have "pay your taxes," "obey authorities" "turn the other cheek," "do unto others," "blessed are the meek" "trust in faith" "dream about heaven," and "you'll get your reward later."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2014, 11:42 PM
Doorstop?

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Crulax's post
10-04-2014, 03:01 AM
(09-04-2014 08:24 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I've been wondering lately how long it will take for the present set of deities to go out of fashion just like all their predecessors .. and how long it will take for humans to look back on the "age of religions" as an anachronistic phase.

Probably not in our life times. Also there will most likely be new gods that'll take over. New religions will take root or people will start worshiping people. Here in South Africa we have a hybrid quasi christian religion that is practiced among us black people. It's called the Church of Shembe. Shembe was a man who is believed to have performed miracles. He is deemed to have been a prophet.

There are many rumours around his death. One goes that he jumped off a high rise thinking he would fly. He didn't. Dogs ate his remains. That is why it is believed that people of the Shembe church don't like dogs. They don't believe in cutting their hair nor shaving their beards completely. They worship on the sabbath.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
10-04-2014, 03:52 AM
(10-04-2014 03:01 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  
(09-04-2014 08:24 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I've been wondering lately how long it will take for the present set of deities to go out of fashion just like all their predecessors .. and how long it will take for humans to look back on the "age of religions" as an anachronistic phase.

Probably not in our life times. Also there will most likely be new gods that'll take over. New religions will take root or people will start worshiping people. Here in South Africa we have a hybrid quasi christian religion that is practiced among us black people. It's called the Church of Shembe. Shembe was a man who is believed to have performed miracles. He is deemed to have been a prophet.

There are many rumours around his death. One goes that he jumped off a high rise thinking he would fly. He didn't. Dogs ate his remains. That is why it is believed that people of the Shembe church don't like dogs. They don't believe in cutting their hair nor shaving their beards completely. They worship on the sabbath.

I tend to think today's gods will just be replaced by new gods as the old were replaced by todays. I do sometimes wonder who and what the new gods will be.

Will Self wrote an interesting novel called 'The Book of Dave' in which a London cabbie writes a book for his estranged son offering fatherly advice. Hundreds of years later after global warming has caused marshlands in London and civilisation has been completely changed the book is discovered. They believe they have the words and advice of god and a new religion is formed with The Book of Dave at its centre.

The Book of Dave

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
[+] 1 user Likes Eva's post
10-04-2014, 07:18 AM

Religions morph all the time as seen in the historical records. Enecdotally speaking, here in South Florida you can see where the influence of African religions and Catholicism have blended into Santeria.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santer%C3%ADa

There is something very disturbing about walking into a person's living room and seeing a six foot tall statue of San Lazaro with food, flowers and tobacco offerings all around the base.
http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/santeria-1.htm

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
10-04-2014, 07:25 AM

You serious? Please tell us more.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-04-2014, 09:49 AM
I think it was a multipurpose piece of propaganda.
Here are it's purposes
1. Like you said, crowd control.
2. Wealth, like how in one story int he Jewish bible a bunch of people tried to make a small prayer place out of their most valuable items. Also priests and whatnot. Just look at the Vatican. It's like made of tons of gold.
3. Remembrance, People wanted to be remembered. (Also it may have been to make the Egyptians or the Romans infamous.)
4. Ignorance - They probably also created it to explain things, (But they weren't sure.) but people actually took it seriously and are now unable to change.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post