The bibleman

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2015, 12:38 PM
The bibleman
For some reason I can't put the video here.

Quote:GRUNDY COUNTY, TN - "Bible Man" is known as a staple in Grundy County Schools. His name is Horace Turner, and he's been visiting there for decades. But now his visits are raising legal red flags.

National groups warn that his message is unconstitutional. Many local supporters are fighting to keep his mission alive. But not everyone is comfortable with "Bible Man" in the classroom.

"We don't want people to be mad, we just want people to make sure there's an alternative something for the kids to do," said one Grundy County mom. She didn't want to be identified for fear of community backlash for her non-Christian views.

She said Bible Man's religious convocations at her son's school were uncomfortable. They included religious teachings like songs and Baby Jesus displays. Their family is Atheist.

"At first he did not know that he didn't have to go," she said. "As he got older, it bothered him that he had to sit through this because it's not his religion."

Bible Man has been visiting Grundy County Schools for nearly 40 years without any problems, until recently. Last month, the Freedom From Religion Foundation wrote the school after hearing a local complaint.

The letter warns that Bible Man assemblies violate the constitution, and Bible Man is currently taking a break from visiting the schools.

"I believe the perception was that we're trying to get rid of him, and that was not the perception we wanted to present," said Dr. Willie Childers, interim Director of Schools.

"At the last board meeting, there were several concerned citizens wanting to make sure that Bible Man or Mr. Turner will continue to be in Grundy County," said Childers, who hopes the school will adopt a "club schedule."

That schedule would allow students to have the freedom to participate in a club of their choosing, which could include a religious-based club.

"We are trying to make sure that the procedures that we do are legal and constitutional for every citizen," Childers said.

While the concerned mom says she's glad it's being addressed, she still worries about the lack of acceptance for those who don't support Bible Man.

She points to threats made on Facebook against her child that include pictures of a burning house.

"We just can't get over how much hate there is in their loving, Christian hearts," she said.

The school board is still working out alternative plans, but hopes to have a policy in place before next school year.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/28802489/sch...d=11389241

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2015, 01:18 PM
RE: The bibleman
Hey "Bible Man" ...

go peddle yer papers somewhere else......

The 3 "r" are Reading wRiting and aRithmatic......

Religion ain't one of 'em....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
16-04-2015, 01:20 PM
(16-04-2015 12:38 PM)Dom Wrote:  For some reason I can't put the video here.

Quote:GRUNDY COUNTY, TN - "Bible Man" is known as a staple in Grundy County Schools. His name is Horace Turner, and he's been visiting there for decades. But now his visits are raising legal red flags.

National groups warn that his message is unconstitutional. Many local supporters are fighting to keep his mission alive. But not everyone is comfortable with "Bible Man" in the classroom.

"We don't want people to be mad, we just want people to make sure there's an alternative something for the kids to do," said one Grundy County mom. She didn't want to be identified for fear of community backlash for her non-Christian views.

She said Bible Man's religious convocations at her son's school were uncomfortable. They included religious teachings like songs and Baby Jesus displays. Their family is Atheist.

"At first he did not know that he didn't have to go," she said. "As he got older, it bothered him that he had to sit through this because it's not his religion."

Bible Man has been visiting Grundy County Schools for nearly 40 years without any problems, until recently. Last month, the Freedom From Religion Foundation wrote the school after hearing a local complaint.

The letter warns that Bible Man assemblies violate the constitution, and Bible Man is currently taking a break from visiting the schools.

"I believe the perception was that we're trying to get rid of him, and that was not the perception we wanted to present," said Dr. Willie Childers, interim Director of Schools.

"At the last board meeting, there were several concerned citizens wanting to make sure that Bible Man or Mr. Turner will continue to be in Grundy County," said Childers, who hopes the school will adopt a "club schedule."

That schedule would allow students to have the freedom to participate in a club of their choosing, which could include a religious-based club.

"We are trying to make sure that the procedures that we do are legal and constitutional for every citizen," Childers said.

While the concerned mom says she's glad it's being addressed, she still worries about the lack of acceptance for those who don't support Bible Man.

She points to threats made on Facebook against her child that include pictures of a burning house.

"We just can't get over how much hate there is in their loving, Christian hearts," she said.

The school board is still working out alternative plans, but hopes to have a policy in place before next school year.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/28802489/sch...d=11389241

there's only one bibleman i know

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
16-04-2015, 01:39 PM
I can't wait until Quran Man visits schools too.Rolleyes

As soon as it isn't christian they'll be lining up with pitchforks of opposition.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 4 users Like grizzlysnake's post
16-04-2015, 02:18 PM
Grizzlysnake I agree as soon as its not what they want u to believe they will be there hissing about how they don't want then there. Without even noticing that they are doing the same thing to others lol
17-04-2015, 07:45 AM
(16-04-2015 01:39 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  I can't wait until Quran Man visits schools too.Rolleyes

As soon as it isn't christian they'll be lining up with pitchforks of opposition.

It would be better if it was spaghetti man. It's not threatening and it will probably entertain the kids far more.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
17-04-2015, 05:08 PM
(16-04-2015 01:39 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  I can't wait until Quran Man visits schools too.Rolleyes

I guess Marxist Man would be a welcome attraction too.
17-04-2015, 05:29 PM
The bibleman
Holocaust Holly was too loud.
17-04-2015, 05:31 PM
(17-04-2015 07:45 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  It would be better if it was spaghetti man. It's not threatening and it will probably entertain the kids far more.

It could even be spaghetti woman, imagine that.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
17-04-2015, 05:33 PM
(17-04-2015 05:31 PM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  It could even be spaghetti woman, imagine that.

Spaghetti Carbonara on the other hand might serve a real purpose and deliver the divine message in a more fulfilling way.
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post