The big bang

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2011, 03:36 PM
The big bang
In What variety of atheist are you?

Submission to Science wrote:
Quote:I'm gnostic atheist but agnostic a-deist.
I'm certain that all the gods invented by men does not exist, but an intelligent conscious being or a group of intelligent conscious beings who produced a big bang or more is very possible. Who knows that one day human civilisation survives long enough to advance in science to the point of master the sciences capable of simulating a big bang of our own in some form of computer more advanced than a quantum computer creating a universe in its own dimensions. So perhaps we to were a product of a 'simulation'.

I didn't want to disrupt that thread, but this idea struck me as funny and intriguing. Our universe is the result of a civilization blowing itself to - literally! - Kingdom Come. Wow!

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2011, 04:09 PM

RE: The big bang
(18-08-2011 03:36 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  Our universe is the result of a civilization blowing itself to - literally! - Kingdom Come. Wow!
What a poetic image! -- Home-made Big Bang as Kingdom Come! The fundies should love it!

Brilliant!
Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2013, 09:37 AM
OK....once again, I heard this "argument" advanced last nite at a dinner party I attended. It goes something like this....."no matter how far back you go, there had to be an intelligent creator. For instance, given the "big bang", what existed before it to give it the impetus to go "bang"? So.... at the beginning, there had to be something outside the laws of nature we know who created the substance that went "bang"...and that is god."
Now....I didn't engage, for I would have been "one among many" and it would have spoiled the time I spend ogling the girls/ladies in their seasonal finery....but still.
How about helping me come up with a simple, quick, steady answer to this "argument" that will clearly define "believers" from us.....but still leave me plenty of time for copious ogling??
Thanks to all.....

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
16-12-2013, 09:58 AM
(16-12-2013 09:37 AM)RaisdCath Wrote:  OK....once again, I heard this "argument" advanced last nite at a dinner party I attended. It goes something like this....."no matter how far back you go, there had to be an intelligent creator. For instance, given the "big bang", what existed before it to give it the impetus to go "bang"? So.... at the beginning, there had to be something outside the laws of nature we know who created the substance that went "bang"...and that is god."

So something we can't yet explain must be god?

The Big Bang couldn't have started from nothing, but your god could have? Makes sense.
16-12-2013, 10:14 AM
(16-12-2013 09:37 AM)RaisdCath Wrote:  OK....once again, I heard this "argument" advanced last nite at a dinner party I attended. It goes something like this....."no matter how far back you go, there had to be an intelligent creator. For instance, given the "big bang", what existed before it to give it the impetus to go "bang"? So.... at the beginning, there had to be something outside the laws of nature we know who created the substance that went "bang"...and that is god."
Now....I didn't engage, for I would have been "one among many" and it would have spoiled the time I spend ogling the girls/ladies in their seasonal finery....but still.
How about helping me come up with a simple, quick, steady answer to this "argument" that will clearly define "believers" from us.....but still leave me plenty of time for copious ogling??
Thanks to all.....

time & space started with the big bang.

there was no place for 'something' before the big bang to take place
there was no time before the big bang.

look up Neil deGrasse Tyson on youtube, he can usually explain things in ways that my little brain can understand.

Be excellent to each other and party on, Dudes!
16-12-2013, 10:42 AM
Thanks to all.....
It's not only an argument from ignorance, it's also an argument from personal incredulity.

Nobody currently knows what came 'before' the Big Bang.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
16-12-2013, 11:03 AM
(16-12-2013 10:14 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  time & space started with the big bang.

look up Neil deGrasse Tyson on youtube, he can usually explain things in ways that my little brain can understand.

I hear this a lot, . . . but it doesn't seem to make sense. How can there be "no time" . . . at ANY time in history? It may work mathematically, but can it actually work in reality? An event [expanse, Big Bang] will occupy time. Before that event, time was still moving even if nothing was happening. Just my thoughts on the topic from a non-physicist mind.
16-12-2013, 11:06 AM
(16-12-2013 11:03 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 10:14 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  time & space started with the big bang.

I hear this a lot, . . . but it doesn't seem to make sense. How can there be "no time" . . . at ANY time in history? It may work mathematically, but can it actually work in reality? An event [expanse, Big Bang] will occupy time. Before that event, time was still moving even if nothing was happening. Just my thoughts on the topic from a non-physicist mind.

Not sure I can wrap my brain around it either, but figured it would be a good answer for the dinner party sceneā€¦.atleast enough of one to make others Consider so he can go back to Drooling

Be excellent to each other and party on, Dudes!
16-12-2013, 11:38 AM
(16-12-2013 11:03 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  

There was no space, no events occurring, therefore no time. As the big bang occurred, events happened so rapidly that it is hard for us to wrap our minds around the infinitesimal numbers. [Planck time]
16-12-2013, 12:09 PM
The big bang theory doesn't make any kind of common or realistic sense. It makes some kind of mathematical model sense, but there is no way in the present world to prove or disprove, observe, measure or test it. For now, it's the prevailing theory. To me, it sounds as implausible to say "There was nothing, not even a 'before' and then suddenly, for no reason, nothing erupted into time, space, energy and matter, and since that first millisecond, everything that exists and happens must have a reason." as to say "We have no frickin idea, (but it probably wasn't an old Mesopotamian shepherd)."

(16-12-2013 09:37 AM)RaisdCath Wrote:  How about helping me come up with a simple, quick, steady answer to this "argument" that will clearly define "believers" from us.....but still leave me plenty of time for copious ogling??

But this, I can do. "If that was God, then He exists outside of time/space/matter, while we exist within time/space/matter, we can't possibly communicate with God. So, whoever is making up all these rules about birth control and penis-mutilation, it's not the creator." Resume ogle mode.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.