The big bang

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2012, 09:31 PM
The big bang
I have a question about the big bang. One theory that people that argue for intelligent design often use. If there was a big bang wouldn't all the planets be spinning the same way. We see that they rotate clockwise and counter clockwise. So, are these people incorrect in their science or is this a valid argument?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thatweirdkid's post
09-01-2012, 09:46 PM
RE: The big bang
Huh

There are so many problems with your question that I'm not sure where to start.

The Big Bang is about the theory of how the entire universe is believed to have started about 13.7 billion years ago.

The rotation (and orbits) of the planets in our little solar system is something that happened only about 5 billion years ago and really has nothing to do with the big bang.

"I am a knowledgeable man, I have knowledge. If I knew how I knew what I know, I would know half as much, because it would be clogged up with where I knew it from...that is why I cannot always cite my sources. - David Mitchell
"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
09-01-2012, 10:00 PM
(09-01-2012 09:46 PM)unsapien Wrote:  Huh

The Big Bang is about the theory of how the entire universe is believed to have started about 13.7 billion years ago.

The rotation (and orbits) of the planets in our little solar system is something that happened only about 5 billion years ago and really has nothing to do with the big bang.

Thank you for your input. I have been wondering if this was a valid argument because it didn't seem to be accurate. As a Christian I am really only shown one side and then shown what Christians believe about atheists which I believe is a misrepresentation. Thanks again!
[+] 2 users Like Thatweirdkid's post
09-01-2012, 10:12 PM
You'll find one common theme in your quest to affirm or disprove Christian arguments: they are build on a misunderstanding of the thing they are trying to discredit. Be it evolution, Big Bang, astrophysics, dating techniques, abiogenesis, etc.

They were taught scientific beliefs from people with a bias against science, and so all the foundations are fundamentally flawed. Easier to disprove that way.

"You mean to tell me humans evolved from monkeys?"

No, I don't, hypothetical creationist man being quoted for this example. But apparently, your fellow religious members mean to tell you exactly that.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
09-01-2012, 10:16 PM
Very simple terms:When you throw a bag of marbles on the floor they spin different ways in different directions. Gravity pulls things differently, and gravity is also related to mass so somethings can send other things off in different directions. Planets also have different polars, and some more than others, which can affect many things. The water in the south spins a different direction than the north. It really has nothing to do with the big bang.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
09-01-2012, 10:19 PM
I really appreciate you people responding to me and not calling me stupid or closed minded. It really means a lo to me :')
09-01-2012, 10:26 PM
(09-01-2012 10:00 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  

Thank you for your input. I have been wondering if this was a valid argument because it didn't seem to be accurate. As a Christian I am really only shown one side and then shown what Christians believe about atheists which I believe is a misrepresentation. Thanks again!

Your welcome. But it's not about being an athiest. It's about the scientific method and evidence. I understood and accepted the scientific method even back when I believed in god. At least in all areas except one.

"I am a knowledgeable man, I have knowledge. If I knew how I knew what I know, I would know half as much, because it would be clogged up with where I knew it from...that is why I cannot always cite my sources. - David Mitchell
"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
09-01-2012, 10:36 PM
From your questioning nature and respect for all beliefs... I seriously believe the only reason you're not an atheist is because of your age. Most of the most outspoken atheists out there were once faithful Christians at one point. Matt Dillahunty from TheAtheistExperience and Myself from MyMomsVagina.

And as far as the bag of marbles analogy, they would have to be magnetic to each other to simulate gravity. The universe IS observably expanding, regardless of the minute details of rotation or angles.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
09-01-2012, 10:39 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2012 10:44 PM by Thatweirdkid.)
I believe in science and I believe in God. I am for Intelligent Design and I believe the earth is only about 8,000 years old. I believe the Bible is my source for life and my brain is my source for understanding of the Bible and science and I believe they go together flawlessly. I don't see how something so complicated can come from something so incomplex. Forgive my spelling. It disagrees with the second law of thermodynamics, which is a scientific law and not just a theory. I believe science agrees with the Bible.
(09-01-2012 10:36 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  From your questioning nature and respect for all beliefs... I seriously believe the only reason you're not an atheist is because of your age. Most of the most outspoken atheists out there were once faithful Christians at one point. Matt Dillahunty from TheAtheistExperience and Myself from MyMomsVagina.

And as far as the bag of marbles analogy, they would have to be magnetic to each other to simulate gravity. The universe IS observably expanding, regardless of the minute details of rotation or angles.

Would it not be safe to say Christians also come from Atheist lifestyles as well? I can think of C.S. Lewis and Josh McDowell right off the bat. I have been told I am very intelligent for my age but I suppose time will tell. And I don't see myself as not believing in God ever. If I ever do, I will probably kill myself. So, let's hope thaat doesn't happen.
09-01-2012, 10:46 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2012 10:50 PM by Chas.)
(09-01-2012 10:00 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  

" As a Christian I am really only shown one side" Pfffft.Sad
You are making me very sad. Get off your ass and go learn some things on your own - it's your life.

(09-01-2012 10:39 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  Would it not be safe to say Christians also come from Atheist lifestyles as well? I can think of C.S. Lewis and Josh McDowell right off the bat. I have been told I am very intelligent for my age but I suppose time will tell. And I don't see myself as not believing in God ever. If I ever do, I will probably kill myself. So, let's hope that doesn't happen.

If you become an atheist, you will probably rejoice in your freedom.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user