The big bang

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2012, 11:05 PM
RE: The big bang
(09-01-2012 10:19 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  I really appreciate you people responding to me and not calling me stupid or closed minded. It really means a lo to me :')

I believe that there are no stupid questions, and that the only stupid people are the ones that never ask any questions...so I would consider your IQ higher than the average.

My father was an engineer that worked in R&D in the aviation industry. (e.i. One of the things he worked on was the navigation system of the F-104 back in the 1960's) Not a stupid guy. But he believes in things like ghosts, ESP,etc... but he is still open to discussion with me on these subjects and does not pretend to KNOW that his opinion is the last word on these things.

"I am a knowledgeable man, I have knowledge. If I knew how I knew what I know, I would know half as much, because it would be clogged up with where I knew it from...that is why I cannot always cite my sources. - David Mitchell
"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
09-01-2012, 11:06 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2012 12:56 PM by Buddy Christ.)
(09-01-2012 10:39 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  I believe in science and I believe in God. I am for Intelligent Design and I believe the earth is only about 8,000 years old. I believe the Bible is my source for life and my brain is my source for understanding of the Bible and science and I believe they go together flawlessly. I don't see how something so complicated can come from something so incomplex. Forgive my spelling. It disagrees with the second law of thermodynamics, which is a scientific law and not just a theory. I believe science agrees with the Bible.

(flinches) God that paragraph was filled with madness. Seeing as how this is TTA's forum, here's a TTA video. I'm off for the night.

Quote:Would it not be safe to say Christians also come from Atheist lifestyles as well? I can think of C.S. Lewis and Josh McDowell right off the bat. I have been told I am very intelligent for my age but I suppose time will tell. And I don't see myself as not believing in God ever. If I ever do, I will probably kill myself. So, let's hope thaat doesn't happen.

Well everyone is born an atheist, so technically ALL Christians came from atheist lifestyles.

And you'll kill yourself without a god? I do believe that's the definition of chemical dependency. You're using the concept of god in the same way a drug is used. You should start weaning yourself off of it, little by little each day. Otherwise you will lose the power of choice and simply become a slave to an idea and all its mentally catastrophic ideologies.

You'll be holding "God loves dead soldiers" signs at veteran funerals, not because you want to, but because your God wants you to.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 3 users Like Buddy Christ's post
09-01-2012, 11:10 PM
(09-01-2012 10:36 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  And as far as the bag of marbles analogy, they would have to be magnetic to each other to simulate gravity.

Yes, thank you.
09-01-2012, 11:18 PM
(09-01-2012 10:39 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  I believe in science and I believe in God. I am for Intelligent Design and I believe the earth is only about 8,000 years old. I believe the Bible is my source for life and my brain is my source for understanding of the Bible and science and I believe they go together flawlessly. I don't see how something so complicated can come from something so incomplex. Forgive my spelling. It disagrees with the second law of thermodynamics, which is a scientific law and not just a theory. I believe science agrees with the Bible.

The only reason you can say these things is that you have little or no understanding of science.
Please get a real (non-religious) education before your brain withers and dies.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2012, 11:27 PM
(09-01-2012 10:39 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  I don't see how something so complicated can come from something so incomplex.

Isn't God a simple explanation too? Should complication come from complicated things? Why is incomplex not acceptable just for being simple?
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
09-01-2012, 11:28 PM
I'm sorry for semi-hijacking this, but I come to a point in an argument with someone about the big bang where I am no longer able to proceed. It's the famous "You can't make something from nothing." argument. I actually know very little on that subject so I don't know how to answer it. How DID the matter for the big bang become available?
09-01-2012, 11:35 PM
(09-01-2012 11:28 PM)GwJ Wrote:  I'm sorry for semi-hijacking this, but I come to a point in an argument with someone about the big bang where I am no longer able to proceed. It's the famous "You can't make something from nothing." argument. I actually know very little on that subject so I don't know how to answer it. How DID the matter for the big bang become available?

There are several hypotheses; Google is your friend.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-01-2012, 12:06 AM
(09-01-2012 11:28 PM)GwJ Wrote:  I'm sorry for semi-hijacking this, but I come to a point in an argument with someone about the big bang where I am no longer able to proceed. It's the famous "You can't make something from nothing." argument. I actually know very little on that subject so I don't know how to answer it. How DID the matter for the big bang become available?

So he/she has a better answer!

Welcome to the "We don't know" club. Did the big bang happen as scientists theorize? IDK. Sticking GOD into the mix does not add anything to the argument. It is just used to just stop the discussion. When ever you see the word GOD just replace it with IDK and things will begin to make more sense.

"I am a knowledgeable man, I have knowledge. If I knew how I knew what I know, I would know half as much, because it would be clogged up with where I knew it from...that is why I cannot always cite my sources. - David Mitchell
"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
10-01-2012, 03:57 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2012 04:07 AM by RedDragon81.)
Quote:If there was a big bang wouldn't all the planets be spinning the same way.

Two quick examples:
Uranus rotates east to west. Uranus' rotation axis is tilted almost parallel to its orbital plane, so Uranus appears to be rotating on its side!
Newly discovered planet WASP-17 has a retrograde orbit [Circling in an opposing direction to its star's rotation]
Uranus and a retrograde orbit is almost certainly a sign of a planet's violent past, most likely dating to the planetary system's early days. Planets crashing into each other as new bodies are formed [e.g Our own Moon] Orbits of planets being disrupted and put out of place [e.g Pluto's orbit around Neptune] If this isn't enough evidence of a Big Bang I don't know what is! It's certainly not evidence of Intelligent Design. If God did it....then he did a very lousy job!
[+] 2 users Like RedDragon81's post
10-01-2012, 08:40 AM
Weird Kid, if you think you will kill yourself if you lose your believe in a god, you have a very low self-rate.
Most of the people on my own forum (FreeThinker) are ex-Christians and none of them has the idea of suicide.
They all says that their life has improved better since they are not a Christian.

ps, English as not my native language, so sorry for the misspelling.

Note: To send this message, no trees cut down,
although there are many electrons severely hindered.
All the bits are reused.

Future World

73 Jim .--. . .---- .-. . .- PE1REA
Email, put amsat dot org behind the call
[+] 3 users Like Jim's post