The big bang

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2012, 09:08 AM
RE: The big bang
Don't worry about your English. Most non-native speakers have better spelling/grammar than native speakers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GwJ's post
10-01-2012, 09:30 AM
Thk's.
In my image is every post total war in my head. Big Grin
I think it was an achievement that there are people who can read it at all. Rolleyes

Note: To send this message, no trees cut down,
although there are many electrons severely hindered.
All the bits are reused.

Future World

73 Jim .--. . .---- .-. . .- PE1REA
Email, put amsat dot org behind the call
10-01-2012, 10:25 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2012 10:32 AM by germanyt.)
(09-01-2012 11:28 PM)GwJ Wrote:  I'm sorry for semi-hijacking this, but I come to a point in an argument with someone about the big bang where I am no longer able to proceed. It's the famous "You can't make something from nothing." argument. I actually know very little on that subject so I don't know how to answer it. How DID the matter for the big bang become available?

Expansion indicates that at one point the universe will stop expanding and contract. Gravity will slowly pull everything back together and the entire universe will collapse on itself similarly to a giant star. It's theorized that all that mass will create an epic black hole that will not sustain itsef and guess what? "BANG"! It's possible that the universe has collapsed and expanded trillions of times through history. Each time creating a universe that lasts from maybe 100 billion years to trillions of years or more. As for who started the first 'bang' or what existed before the it, who knows? Maybe God. But def not any god of existing religion.
(10-01-2012 08:40 AM)Jim Wrote:  Weird Kid, if you think you will kill yourself if you lose your believe in a god, you have a very low self-rate.
Most of the people on my own forum (FreeThinker) are ex-Christians and none of them has the idea of suicide.
They all says that their life has improved better since they are not a Christian.

ps, English as not my native language, so sorry for the misspelling.

Clicked on your link. English is my only language. Sad

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
10-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Sorry, i thought it was clear that I'm a Dutchman.
Whatever, that is how Dutch looks. Big Grin
Its not difficult if you speaks it your whole live. Big GrinBig Grin

Note: To send this message, no trees cut down,
although there are many electrons severely hindered.
All the bits are reused.

Future World

73 Jim .--. . .---- .-. . .- PE1REA
Email, put amsat dot org behind the call
[+] 1 user Likes Jim's post
10-01-2012, 11:09 AM
(10-01-2012 10:25 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Expansion indicates that at one point the universe will stop expanding and contract. Gravity will slowly pull everything back together and the entire universe will collapse on itself similarly to a giant star. It's theorized that all that mass will create an epic black hole that will not sustain itsef and guess what? "BANG"! It's possible that the universe has collapsed and expanded trillions of times through history. Each time creating a universe that lasts from maybe 100 billion years to trillions of years or more. As for who started the first 'bang' or what existed before the it, who knows? Maybe God. But def not any god of existing religion.

Nope, latest finding is that the rate of expansion is increasing; the universe is expanding faster and faster, so no collapse.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
10-01-2012, 11:19 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2012 11:21 AM by TheBeardedDude.)
Red Dragon did a good job of giving a quick synopsis of why the planets in our own solar system do not all rotate the same way. All of the planets should rotate the same way we do with a vertical axis. Note that we do not have a vertical axis. This is due to the fact that a large planetesimal collided with Earth ~4.5 billion years ago and caused our axis to tilt and also nearly destroyed Earth but some of the ejecta from that collision coalesced into our moon, this is part of the reason why dating the age of the moon gives a good approximation for the age of the Earth. The moon has a rather fascinating geologic history too, but we can do that another day. Also note that the angle of tilt of the Earth changes along with other factors and are commonly call Milankovitch Cycles. Uranus (as RD pointed out) is essentially rotating on its side. Simple calculations can give us an estimate for the size of the body needed to do that to such a large planet.
(10-01-2012 11:09 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-01-2012 10:25 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Expansion indicates that at one point the universe will stop expanding and contract. Gravity will slowly pull everything back together and the entire universe will collapse on itself similarly to a giant star. It's theorized that all that mass will create an epic black hole that will not sustain itsef and guess what? "BANG"! It's possible that the universe has collapsed and expanded trillions of times through history. Each time creating a universe that lasts from maybe 100 billion years to trillions of years or more. As for who started the first 'bang' or what existed before the it, who knows? Maybe God. But def not any god of existing religion.

Nope, latest finding is that the rate of expansion is increasing; the universe is expanding faster and faster, so no collapse.

I still like the Futurama episode where they go forward far enough in time so that even the very last proton decays and then the Big Bang starts over again and it repeats itself over and over again. The first time I watched it, I thought of the closed system concept of the universe but that is not quite what they are saying in that episode, fun to think about though.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
10-01-2012, 11:37 AM
(10-01-2012 11:09 AM)Chas Wrote:  

Isn't it still speculated that the acceleration is remnant from the big bang and it just hasn't started slowing down yet? Not sure. Been a minute since I paid attention to astro physics. Been all politics and football as of late.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
10-01-2012, 12:12 PM
I've heard two different ideas on the big bang.

1. We are still expanding and galaxies will be so far apart we'll never reach them, or something like that.

2. We are still expanding but the galaxy will collapse back onto itself to eventually create another big bang.

The theory is still a long ways from being complete and they will probably never know all the details. I just know either explanation is better than "God did it!"

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-01-2012, 12:17 PM
(10-01-2012 12:12 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  I've heard two different ideas on the big bang.

1. We are still expanding and galaxies will be so far apart we'll never reach them, or something like that.

2. We are still expanding but the galaxy will collapse back onto itself to eventually create another big bang.

The theory is still a long ways from being complete and they will probably never know all the details. I just know either explanation is better than "God did it!"

I wonder if they know how fast objects are moving away from us. Like if you draw a line from us, through the center of the universe, and to another galaxy on the opposite side. How fast is it moving away from us?

[Image: i-dunno-lol_1_.jpg]

-Mark Twain
10-01-2012, 12:17 PM
(09-01-2012 10:39 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  And I don't see myself as not believing in God ever. If I ever do, I will probably kill myself. So, let's hope thaat doesn't happen.

There was a time when I would have said the same thing. I was so confident in my believe that I thought I could never give it up. I prayed that God would never let me stop believing, and I stood on what I thought was solid ground.

And yet here I am. It is not as scary as you think it is from your position. And you do not lose everything there is to live for. You gain the ability to decide what is worth living for, and that is a precious and powerful decision that no one can make for you.
[+] 2 users Like kineo's post