The big thread of atheism quotes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-07-2011, 09:06 PM
The big thread of atheism quotes
The purpose of this thread is to find and post quality, thought provoking quotes from various people and discuss them. Try not to copy and paste entire pages. Just post the ones that make your nipples hard. This can also be a good place to reference people who claim "such and such believed in God" (Franklin, Einstein, etc). You can just link this page and go, oh really? I'll start off in Independence Day fashion with my favorite founding fathers.

Thomas Paine

"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

"Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man."

"It is not a God, just and good, but a devil, under the name of God, that the Bible describes."

"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

"My mind is my own church."

"Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."

"One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests."

"That God cannot lie, is no advantage to your argument, because it is no proof that priests can not, or that the Bible does not."

"The Vatican is a dagger in the heart of Italy."

"The whole religious complexion of the modern world is due to the absence from Jerusalem of a lunatic asylum."

I really did go through and just pick out the ones I liked. Still a bunch.

And it just wouldn't be founding father atheist quote day without of course:

Thomas Jefferson

"In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty."

"It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God."
(Absolute freedom of religion, not just freedom for your religion)

"It is always better to have no ideas than false ones; to believe nothing, than to believe what is wrong."
(I think this one applies nicely to atheism. People are always in such a hurry to believe in something that they quickly embrace false ideas.)

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear."

"To talk of immaterial existences is to talk of nothings. To say that the human soul, angels, God, are immaterial, is to say they are nothings, or that there is no God, no angels, no soul."

"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burned, tortured, fined, and imprisoned, yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half of the world fools and the other half hypocrites."

"Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man."

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2011, 09:20 PM
RE: The big thread of atheism quotes
Probably worth mentioning that Jefferson denied being an atheist. And, I don't mean he just denied it when his political enemies attacked him over it. I believe he denied it in some of his private writings as well (which became public after his death).

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
04-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Interesting thread. I'm posting some quotes from from one of my favorite authors:

Isaac Asimov

(some quotes are in spoiler tags because they're a bit long)

"I am an atheist, out and out. It took me a long time to say it. I've been an atheist for years and years, but somehow I felt it was intellectually unrespectable to say one was an atheist, because it assumed knowledge that one didn't have. Somehow, it was better to say one was a humanist or an agnostic. I finally decided that I'm a creature of emotion as well as of reason. Emotionally, I am an atheist. I don't have the evidence to prove that God doesn't exist, but I so strongly suspect he doesn't that I don't want to waste my time."

"There are many aspects of the universe that still cannot be explained satisfactorily by science; but ignorance only implies ignorance that may someday be conquered. To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today."

"If I were not an atheist, I would believe in a God who would choose to save people on the basis of the totality of their lives and not the pattern of their words. I think he would prefer an honest and righteous atheist to a TV preacher whose every word is God, God, God, and whose every deed is foul, foul, foul.

I would also want a God who would not allow a Hell. Infinite torture can only be a punishment for infinite evil, and I don't believe that infinite evil can be said to exist even in the case of Hitler. Besides, if most human governments are civilized enough to try to eliminate torture and outlaw cruel and unusual punishments, can we expect anything less of an all-merciful God?

I feel that if there were an afterlife, punishment for evil would be reasonable and of a fixed term. And I feel that the longest and worst punishment should be reserved for those who slandered God by inventing Hell."

"To be sure, the Bible contains the direct words of God. How do we know? The Moral Majority says so. How do they know? They say they know and to doubt it makes you an agent of the Devil or, worse, a Lbr-l Dm-cr-t. And what does the Bible textbook say? Well, among other things it says the earth was created in 4004 BC (Not actually, but a Moral Majority type figured that out three and a half centuries ago, and his word is also accepted as inspired.) The sun was created three days later. The first male was molded out of dirt, and the first female was molded, some time later, out of his rib. As far as the end of the universe is concerned, the Book of Revelation (6:13-14) says: "And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind." … Imagine the people who believe such things and who are not ashamed to ignore, totally, all the patient findings of thinking minds through all the centuries since the Bible was written. And it is these ignorant people, the most uneducated, the most unimaginative, the most unthinking among us, who would make themselves the guides and leaders of us all; who would force their feeble and childish beliefs on us; who would invade our schools and libraries and homes. I personally resent it bitterly."

"One would suppose that the battle for religious liberty was won in the United States two hundred years ago. However, in the time since, and right now, powerful voices are always raised in favor of bigotry and thought control. It is useful, then, to have a compendium of the thoughts of great men and women of all faiths (and of none) on the subject, to convince us that we men and woman of freedom are not and never have been alone."

"Although the time of death is approaching me, I am not afraid of dying and going to Hell or (what would be considerably worse) going to the popularized version of Heaven. I expect death to be nothingness and, for removing me from all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism."

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
04-07-2011, 09:33 PM
(04-07-2011 09:20 PM)BnW Wrote:  Probably worth mentioning that Jefferson denied being an atheist. And, I don't mean he just denied it when his political enemies attacked him over it. I believe he denied it in some of his private writings as well (which became public after his death).

Yeah, most founding fathers were deists. Not atheists, but still Christians have no right to say they were Christians or that we are a Christian nation. They were secularists first and deists second.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
04-07-2011, 10:54 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2011 10:57 PM by Buddy Christ.)
(04-07-2011 09:20 PM)BnW Wrote:  Probably worth mentioning that Jefferson denied being an atheist. And, I don't mean he just denied it when his political enemies attacked him over it. I believe he denied it in some of his private writings as well (which became public after his death).

I didn't mean the quotes had to be from atheists, but that the quotes themselves were of an atheist nature. The "atheist" adjective is signifying the quote, not the quoted. Benjamin Franklin is famous for his "Lighthouses are more useful than churches" quote, but that's only because he hated organized religion, as did most of the early Americans who had just fled a religious stranglehold.

You don't have to be an atheist to appreciate the facade of theism.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
04-07-2011, 11:55 PM

I agree. I have read several writings over the years in which he says he was not an atheist. I do however, believe that he ( and many others ) may have denied atheism due to religious persecution. I have never read anything that would lead me to believe that he had any religious convictions at all.
Even in the new, developing country, there was a strong religious force, and a mixed one at that. Many of the hard core religions, like the quakers, found it OK to publicly kill their own children for disobedience. Imagine what they would have done to an outspoken atheist.
In the days of witch burning, children's executions, tar and feathering, lynch mobs, and a bundle of other public unpleasantries, it would have been wise to state publicly that you are not an atheist, or leave papers to be found by any mob attacking your house. I believe that he would have been better off in the hands of the English, than the hands of any church as an atheist.

Oxymoron: "Religious teaching"
"Simple common sense goes out the window when religion comes in through the door." Me (Blasphemy Fan )
05-07-2011, 12:37 AM
I have a notepad of atheistic quotes.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Einstein

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought,
but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein

"Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung." - Voltaire

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire

"I am very fond of truth, but not at all of martyrdom." - Voltaire

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one:
"O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it." - voltaire

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere" - Voltaire

"If God created us in his own image, we have more than reciprocated." - Voltaire

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent Him." - voltaire

"it is interesting to find that people of faith now seek defensively to say that
they are no worse than fascists or Nazis or Stalinists" - Christopher hitchens

"Teach a man to reason, and he'll think for a lifetime." - Phil Plait

"Faith means not wanting to know what is true." - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Atheism is the voice of a few intelligent people." - Voltaire

"An idea does not gain truth as it gains followers." - Amanda Bloom

"The time appears to me to have come when it is the duty of all
to make their dissent from religion known." - John Stuart Mill

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

"Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for
religious convictions." - Blaise Pascal

"gods always behave like the people who created them." - Zora Hurston

"Religion belonged to the infancy of humanity. Now that humanity
had come of age, it should be left behind." - Sigmund Freud

"When you understand why you dismiss all the other gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen Roberts

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin

"Let us try to teach generosity and altruism, because we are born selfish" - Charles Darwin

"A man who dares to waste one hour of his time has not discovered the value of life"
- Charles darwin

"If you have nothing in quantum mechanics, you will always get something" - Lawrence krauss

"He who establishes his argument by noise and command shows that his reason is weak."
- Michel de Montaigne

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born,
and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity; when many people suffer from
a delusion it is called religion." - Robert Pirsig

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

“In some awful, strange, paradoxical way, atheists tend to take religion more seriously
than the practitioners.” - Jonathon Miller

“We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to
die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been
here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains
of Arabia. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater
than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively
exceeds the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in
our ordinariness, that are here.” - Richard Dawkins

"The christian god makes man human, then burns him when he acts like one" - Unknown

"If we long to believe that the stars rise and set for us, that we are the reason there
is a Universe, does science do us a disservice in deflating our conceits?....For me, it is
far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however
satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
05-07-2011, 02:43 AM
Friedrich Nietzsche.

"In Christianity neither morality nor religion come into contact with reality at any point."

"I call Christianity the one great curse, the one great intrinsic depravity, the one great instinct of revenge, for which no means are venomous enough, or secret, subterranean and small enough - I call it the one immortal blemish upon the human race."

"Faith means not wanting to know what is true."

Epicurus.

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"

Albert Einstein.

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."

"The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this."

Carl Sagan.

"It is said that men may not be the dreams of the Gods, but rather that the Gods are the dreams of men."

"I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience. And in addition, to whatever measure this term has any meaning, science has the additional virtue, and it is not an inconsiderable one, of being true."

Stephen King.

"The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance...logic can be happily tossed out the window."

Georgia Harkness.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”

Diego Rivera.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-07-2011, 05:56 AM
(04-07-2011 09:33 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  

Yeah, most founding fathers were deists. Not atheists, but still Christians have no right to say they were Christians or that we are a Christian nation. They were secularists first and deists second.

I don't think that is true either. There were certainly a few who were deists and at least one confirmed atheist in Benjamin Franklin but I think the majority of them were Christians.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
05-07-2011, 05:33 PM
My favorite.

I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires.
– Susan B. Anthony