The big thread of atheism quotes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2011, 06:01 PM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2011 06:22 PM by Hughsie.)
RE: The big thread of atheism quotes
My favourites are in my sig Big Grin

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2011, 08:46 AM
(05-07-2011 05:56 AM)BnW Wrote:  I don't think that is true either. There were certainly a few who were deists and at least one confirmed atheist in Benjamin Franklin but I think the majority of them were Christians.

Sorry it took a little while to get back to you.

John Adams - Unitarianism, perhaps the least Christian sect of Christianity.
Benjamin Franklin - a deist that still held many Christian values.
Alexander Hamilton - A Christian of varying religiosity throughout his life.
John Jay - Episcopalian.
Thomas Jefferson - Deist, but still taking some Christian values.
James Madison - I can't find what he claimed to be, only that his was a strong supporter of the separation of church and state.
George Washington - He went through Christian motions but held no piety to the christian God. His actions seemed to better reflect deism, though I don't think he ever clarified on this point.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
06-07-2011, 08:49 AM
"If I had the power that the New Testament narrative say that Jesus had, I would not cure one person of blindness, I would make blindness impossible; I would not cure one person of leprosy, I would abolish leprosy." Joseph Lewis

“We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles
06-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Favourite- 'Religion had it's run, let science lead the future'- ?

[Image: the-future.jpg]

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
06-07-2011, 09:07 PM
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours" - Stephen Roberts

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

"The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike" - Delos B. McKown

"Which is it, is man one of God's blunders or is God one of man's?" - Friedrich Nietzsche
09-07-2011, 07:45 AM
A few random ones...

"It is clear to me that the writings of the Christians are a lie, and that your fables are not well-enough constructed to conceal this monstrous fiction: I have even heard that some of your interpreters, as if they had just come out of a tavern, are onto the inconsistencies and, pen in hand, alter the originals writings, three, four and several more times over in order to be able to deny the contradictions in the face of criticism."
(Celsus 178 CE)

"I say quite deliberately that the Christian religion, as organized by its churches, has been and still is, the principal enemy of moral progress in this world."

Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)

“But if external evidence (in support of the Bible) be wanting, and internal evidence be fatal to the truthfulness of the writings, then it will become our duty to remove them from the temple of history, and to place them in the fairy gardens of fancy and of myth, where they may amuse and instruct the student, without misleading him as to questions of fact.”
(Annie Basant)

“But apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?”
(Reg, leader of the People’s Front of Judea)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-07-2011, 11:35 PM
TTA

God is like a software agreement people skim through it and say " I agree"

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to us who do

-Isaac Asimov
11-07-2011, 05:29 AM
"Morality is doing what is right, no matter what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, no matter what is right."

I have no idea who said this. I guess I should have looked it up. I'd like to have it as a bumper sticker for my car.

"Those of us who write and study history are accustomed to its approximations and ambiguities. This is why we do not take literally the tenth-hand reports of frightened and illiterate peasants who claim to have seen miracles or to have had encounters with messiahs and prophets and redeemers who were, like them, mere humans. And this is also why we will never submit to dictation from those who display a fanatical belief in certainty and revelation."
— Christopher Hitchens

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
06-09-2011, 12:37 AM
'The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike.' - Huang Po

'Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.' - Author Unknown

'Man created God in his own image.' - Ludwig Feuerbach

'I've got nothing against God. It's his fan club I can't stand.' - Bumper sticker

These next two are less directly atheistic:

'As one lamp serves to dispel a thousand years of darkness, so one flash of wisdom destroys ten thousand years of ignorance.' - Hui-Neng

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.' - Abraham Lincoln

As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods;
They kill us for their sport.
- Shakespeare's King Lear
06-09-2011, 02:43 AM
“Christians at all levels of intelligence and capacity are being denied access to vital information concerning their religion, and this curtailment of information helps breed either an attitude of ill-founded complacency, or one of smug self-certainty. Living in a kind of metaphysical dream, the custodians of “old fashioned” Christianity stumble from one futile explanation of New Testament events to another. Jesus was sinless; Jesus was sexless; Jesus was all-knowing; Jesus is the Saviour of the whole World; Jesus is God. Such sentiments slip easily from the lips when the mind has been overtaken by spiritual vertigo due to intellectual undernourishment.”
(Douglas Lockhart)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user