The bright side of quitting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-06-2015, 04:10 PM
The bright side of quitting
I finally quit my dead end manual labor job of almost 11 years. I didn't give a 2 week notice either. This may seem like a dick move, but I had alerted the management weeks in advance that I would be leaving. This is because I recently graduated from college and a new job opportunity opened up for me. It would allow me to actually use my training in art history and archaeology instead of busting my ass to make ends meet. I was officially hired yesterday.

My new position is a cataloger at an online estate sale company. It's sort of like ebay for rich people. I will be driving all over the area working with customers wishing to parse out their estates. My duties include researching the history of art and antiques, working with a photographer to create appealing and accurate online listings, and staging items for pickup by online bidders. It's hourly and commission, so I will be making a lot more money than in my previous job.

I still plan on going to grad school at some point. For now, this will allow me to do research for a living--something I do plenty of in my free time.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 19 users Like ghostexorcist's post
09-06-2015, 04:13 PM
RE: The bright side of quitting
There's nothing quite like the joy of giving your old boss the finger as you slide out the door...

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
09-06-2015, 04:13 PM
There is that... but I always like the overly excessive dramatic exit element as another bright side of quitting. Like telling everyone you're leaving to go join the super rich!

While I currently look forward to my soon days of quasi-quitting aka transferring

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
09-06-2015, 04:15 PM
Good for you Thumbsup

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

09-06-2015, 04:30 PM
That's awesome!!! Congrats! Big Grin Hug
09-06-2015, 05:03 PM
Work is always so much more fulfilling when it's in an area that you have an active interest in. Congrats and good luck! Smile

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased
09-06-2015, 06:12 PM
Good going! Thumbsup

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-06-2015, 06:17 PM
Good for you. Best of luck! Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
09-06-2015, 07:55 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2015 08:00 PM by yakherder.)
I don't believe in being an ass hole just for the sake of being an ass hole. Sticking it to the boss gains nothing in and of itself. I also don't believe in delaying the achievement of my goals just for the sake of impressing someone, especially when I know that someone wouldn't hesitate to do the same if the situation were reversed, and they likely would have dropped you in an instant if it had suited their needs.

Be respectful and follow the rules when doing so costs you nothing, but recognize that it's a fine line between being courteous and being used. Also remember that the whole point of not burning bridges is because the connection might one day help you in the achievement of your goals. But if you have to abandon your goal in order to not burn a bridge, then that defeats the purpose of leaving it up.

Congrats on escaping the "pay the bills" job and getting started on your career.

'Murican Canadian
09-06-2015, 08:36 PM
(09-06-2015 07:55 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I don't believe in being an ass hole just for the sake of being an ass hole. Sticking it to the boss gains nothing in and of itself. I also don't believe in delaying the achievement of my goals just for the sake of impressing someone, especially when I know that someone wouldn't hesitate to do the same if the situation were reversed, and they likely would have dropped you in an instant if it had suited their needs.

Be respectful and follow the rules when doing so costs you nothing, but recognize that it's a fine line between being courteous and being used. Also remember that the whole point of not burning bridges is because the connection might one day help you in the achievement of your goals. But if you have to abandon your goal in order to not burn a bridge, then that defeats the purpose of leaving it up.

Congrats on escaping the "pay the bills" job and getting started on your career.

I had the blessing of my immediate manager to not give a full 2 week notice. He even shook my hand just before I left the last time I was at work. I didn't burn any bridges in that respect. The general manager, however, wasn't very happy. But I didn't care since he was the kind of prick who expected people to work a 16 hour shift just because he was too cheap to hire more people.

Thanks for the well wishes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post