The bright side of quitting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2015, 05:19 AM
RE: The bright side of quitting
(09-06-2015 07:55 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I don't believe in being an ass hole just for the sake of being an ass hole. Sticking it to the boss gains nothing in and of itself. I also don't believe in delaying the achievement of my goals just for the sake of impressing someone, especially when I know that someone wouldn't hesitate to do the same if the situation were reversed, and they likely would have dropped you in an instant if it had suited their needs.

Be respectful and follow the rules when doing so costs you nothing, but recognize that it's a fine line between being courteous and being used. Also remember that the whole point of not burning bridges is because the connection might one day help you in the achievement of your goals. But if you have to abandon your goal in order to not burn a bridge, then that defeats the purpose of leaving it up.

Congrats on escaping the "pay the bills" job and getting started on your career.

I worked for a machine shop years back that had a really bad problem with employee turnover. The problem was the shop foreman -- a guy a year or two younger than myself. He loved yelling at people - and "showing you what you're doing wrong". He once tried showing me how to "Really make chips" on a big Bridgeport milling machine - where I was using a 6 inch face cutter with carbide inserts - to shave off the face of some 3 inch plate steel.

He did his calculations - engaged the machine - at MUCH too high a feed rate - and torqued the workpiece and wiped out every insert in the holder. Probably 150 bucks worth of inserts - and an hour of time to fix. I quipped "Yeah - that's MUCH better".

A real genius him.

He also like to lie to employees. I found a better job, at better pay -- and put in my two weeks notice. He offered to match the money. I (dumbly) stayed.

The money failed to show up in my paycheck.

I confronted him a week later - with a tape recorder in my pocket. He gave me a runaround - but did acknowledge he'd offered me more money to keep me there.

I took two days off (without notice) and found another job. I came in on Monday to collect my toolbox. I entered through the front office and confronted the owner - and gave him the tape- and explained if he listened - he'd find out why he had a huge employee turnover. His foreman was a fuckhead.

The foreman confronted me, when I came into the shop to get my toolbox - and insisted he was going to search my shit before I left. Though, that'd never been standard procedure - in fact I'd never seen it happen before.

It didn't happen then, either -- as I'm quite a bit bigger than him.

And yes -- he got the finger and several choice words as I left.

And I STILL feel good about that.......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
10-06-2015, 07:19 AM
(09-06-2015 04:10 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I finally quit my dead end manual labor job of almost 11 years. I didn't give a 2 week notice either. This may seem like a dick move, but I had alerted the management weeks in advance that I would be leaving. This is because I recently graduated from college and a new job opportunity opened up for me. It would allow me to actually use my training in art history and archaeology instead of busting my ass to make ends meet. I was officially hired yesterday.

My new position is a cataloger at an online estate sale company. It's sort of like ebay for rich people. I will be driving all over the area working with customers wishing to parse out their estates. My duties include researching the history of art and antiques, working with a photographer to create appealing and accurate online listings, and staging items for pickup by online bidders. It's hourly and commission, so I will be making a lot more money than in my previous job.

I still plan on going to grad school at some point. For now, this will allow me to do research for a living--something I do plenty of in my free time.

Umm you forgot the best part ... all the ummm, *nice people* you may meet doing this. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
10-06-2015, 07:33 AM
Did it feel like this?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
10-06-2015, 12:30 PM
The only down side is that the main company building is almost 47 miles away from my current apartment. I believe they reimburse you for traveling 30 miles or more. The money isn't the issue, it's the lost time in travel. I will rectify this when my lease is up in November.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user