The cancellation of "Rock Beyond Belief" by the Commander of Ft. Bragg

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2011, 09:38 AM

The cancellation of "Rock Beyond Belief" by the Commander of Ft. Bragg
I wrote the blog that this links to (fair warning), but the topic is important to me as it has to do with the quelling of secularism in the U.S. Army.

http://immovableatheist.wordpress.com/20...nd-belief/

At the bottom of the blog is a link to a petition for this event. Please take a minute to support SGT Justin Griffith, as he is trying to end religious influence in our Armed Forces.

I won't post ANY time I write something, but I am trying to promote a cause with this one.
Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2011, 10:08 AM

RE: The cancellation of "Rock Beyond Belief" by the Commander of Ft. Bragg
I signed the petition and bookmarked the site. I'll make sure to spread the word to any and all sites I frequent.
20-03-2011, 10:15 AM

(20-03-2011 10:08 AM)Cdf50 Wrote:  I signed the petition and bookmarked the site. I'll make sure to spread the word to any and all sites I frequent.

THANK YOU>
20-03-2011, 12:47 PM
I don;t think it applies to non-americans , right ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2011, 12:59 PM

(20-03-2011 12:47 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  I don;t think it applies to non-americans , right ?

It's about inclusion and free speech. I would expect that anyone could sign the petition.
20-03-2011, 01:22 PM

Well the petition has fields that would only apply to americans, so i think it's americans only.
20-03-2011, 01:29 PM

(20-03-2011 01:22 PM)Cdf50 Wrote:  Well the petition has fields that would only apply to americans, so i think it's americans only.

Looking at the petition on their page, you can highlight where it says "USA" and replace it with your own country of origin. You do not have to specifically enter any field, though I would recommend the name field at a minimum
20-03-2011, 05:01 PM

Oh i see.

Well, you've certainly interested me. I usually don't get involved in these things, but this has gotten me really riled up. I just emailed "Ben Abel
Public Affairs Officer
Fort Bragg
benjamin.abel@us.army.mil" (Got the contact from http://ffrf.org/news/action/protest-army...-festival)

I'm probably going to e-mail the other people too.

Here's mah email to Mr. Abel:

"My name is Charles Domingos De Farias Jr. I'm a senior at Dedham High School in Dedham, Massachusetts. I say this only so you know that I'm not really anybody of importance but am just a high school student that's soon to be a college student. I usually don't involve myself in such matters as this, I'm usually more quiet and isolated from controversial events and protests and petitions, but this latest event just really struck home for me.

I realize you probably have a lot on your plate and you've probably received a few of these annoying E-mails, but I feel like I speak on behalf of a large portion of, not just non-theists, but Americans as a whole when I say that this just isn't right. I'm referring to the Army's lack of funding towards the "Rock Beyond Belief Festival". If this were done to avoid supporting non-theists and making theist soldiers feel uncomfortable, it'd be understandable had the army not provided considerable funds for the heavily Christian "Rock the Fort" event, for which the "Rock Beyond Belief Festival" was created as a response to. The fact that the "Rock the Fort" event was allowed and supported in the first place is already a political error which brushes up against the separation of church and state, but the equal treatment of a non-theist concert, such as the "Rock Beyond Belief Festival" would certainly balance this. It seems incredibly discriminatory and against the very constitution.

So if you are to read just one thing from this E-mail, I guess it would be this: It bothers me when the army of the nation I belong to violates one of the most dearly held principals of the nation they have sworn to protect. How am I to trust or even support an army that can't even stick to the laws set down by their own nation? I can't, and I'm sure others feel the same. So for the sake of not only justice and equality, but also for morale and continuing support our valiant men and women, I hope to see the "Rock Beyond Belief Festival" given the support it's entitled to.

Sorry for taking your time,
Sincerely,
A concerned Citizen."
20-03-2011, 08:06 PM

Mr. Abel replied with:
Quote:> From: benjamin.abel@us.army.mil
> To: charles37@live.com
> Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 21:53:56 -0400
> Subject: Re: Sorry to bother you, Mr. Abel. (UNCLASSIFIED)
>
> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Sir,
> Thank you for your note. You are certainly someone of import and I hope I can address some of your concerns.
> First, I think one of the most important parts of this controversy, that is largely being overlooked by those criticizing Fort Bragg's actions, is that the Garrison commander is responsible for the health, safety and welfare of the Fort Bragg military community. He is not responsible for the entertainment of those groups not directly supported by the installation - our Soldiers, Families, retirees and civilian employees. If, in the course of events on post, we have the opportunity to include members of the general public, that is great. But the garrison commander must evaluate how he can best support the military community, with limited resources.
> Col. Sicinski, the garrison commander, did approve the event on post. Our analysis of attendance by our supported communities suggested that the main post parade field would not be suitable, so one of the theaters on post was offered. The Rock Beyond Belief organizers then cancelled the event.
> As for the funding of Rock the Fort, that has been the subject of a good deal of misinformation. The funds that came from the Fort Bragg community were not appropriated monies (government funds) but rather weekly tithes and offerings that came from the various Christian congregations on post. A bit more explanation may be warranted. The Army recognizes a number of Distinctive Faith Groups - the variety of Christian denominations, Muslims, Jews, Buddhists and Wiccans. Each of these groups has a separate and independent Chaplain Tithes and Offerings fund which the congregation uses as it sees fit. In the case of Rock the Fort, the Christian congregations elected the use their donated funds to help produce the Rock the Fort concert. The other non-Christian groups did not participate. I believe that the Rock Beyond Belief organizers have petitioned for Distinctive Faith Group status, but they are very early in the process and so have no discrete funding like the recognized congregations on post.
> A good analogy would be to transplant this situation into any city or town across the country. A group wants to produce an event on city property, lets say the town square, and requests that the city pay for the production of the event. Unless the event is of every great benefit to the entire community, it wouldn't be a wise investment to spend town or city funds for an event that shows little potential for return on investment. I would argue that it would be unwise for that community's leaders to not use the monies in the best manner possible. Now if the event's organizer were to fund the event on their own, that would be a different story and a much easier decision to make.
> The situation surrounding the Rock Beyond Belief concert is fraught with emotion, so it would be difficult to envision assuaging all the concerns that our fellow citizens have. We understand that Rock Beyond Belief is being reconsidered for later this year, and we hope that the event can happen at some point.
> Again, thank you for your note. I hope that my explanation is of some value to you.
>
> All the best,
>
> Ben

And i replied with:

Quote:Thank you for replying. Seeing as how all my information has been one sided and now I'm hearing another side to the story, I feel it's best I sit this one out. I'd rather not put myself in a debate where I don't actually know all of the facts. Not to question your honestly or your access to information, but I know all too well that when it comes to situations like these where one side says one thing and the other says something else, it's best staying out of it. Plus, if what you tell me is true, it seems I have no chance here. Although it certainly bothers me a great deal that it's so much more difficult for a non-secular concert to occur than a religious one. With no offense to any military official, I can't help but feel like there's some prejudicial force behind it, forgive me for my ignorance if I'm wrong. But then again, it seems like this is more of a society issue than a military one.

I'll make sure to send your response to those that feel the same way I do and to post it where I got my information. I'm sure many will continue to argue that there is injustice in this, and I don't blame them.

I wish you and our forces the best and equality to both our theist and non-theist soldiers, hopefully this resolves without too much of a mess.
21-03-2011, 01:20 AM

Wait, they're spending my tax money how?

As employer to the US military I am very disgruntled.