The cause of obesity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2017, 01:29 AM
The cause of obesity

That's a great video, but I do worry about the mixed messages people get from this stuff.

We don't give people realistic guidelines - and no one ever talks about when too much exercise is unhealthy - as it is at the Olympic level and in several sports. That's why many of them need to sleep with a defibrillator in the room - or even have them implanted. A normal resting heart rate is between 60 to 100 beats per minute. Endurance athletes who build up their red blood cells - swimmers, runners, cyclists, etc can have a resting heart rate as low as 30 beats per minute. At that rate the heart sometimes skips a beat, or stops entirely!

Now conflicting messages - well the WHO said that refined fructose is uniquely obesogenic back in 2012. In 2015 they released a guideline to reduce refined sugars in the diet to no more than 10% of daily energy.

It's a shame we don't get plain speaking health professionals. We don't know what specific pathways cause obesity at present. We know that it's positively associated with a sedentary lifestyle, Metabolic syndrome, Insulin resistance, Diabetes, Mental Health including depressive disorders, certain types of foods like potato, and yes refined sugars too.

As Heisenberg said, "an expert is someone who knows some of the worst mistakes that can be made in his subject, and how to avoid them".

In the TED Talk Peter says that obesity may be the body's coping mechanism for something else - i.e. a symptom. I wish he would put that in context. All diseases can be defined as a symptom of something else as it is, so it wouldn't change the issue that obesity is a health condition and defined by some bodies as a disease. The flu for example is a symptom of your body fighting off a viral infection. Your body devotes resources to manufacturing white blood cells and fighting the infection, and as a result you feel drowsy, tired, and poorly. You also experience loss of appetite and strength.

At the end of the day though I do agree with him that it's not a simple matter of kilojoules in and kilojoules out, which has been the conventional wisdom, and is what most doctors and dieticians continue to believe at present.

My Blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Aractus's post
26-02-2017, 05:30 AM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2017 08:48 AM by EvolutionKills.)
RE: The cause of obesity
There are also societal considerations. Foods heavy in starches, salts, and refined sugars, tend to be far cheaper than 'healthier' alternatives. If you grow up on a high fructose and high salt diet, even if you want to, changing life long habits is hard; assuming you can even afford to. Surgery breakfast cereals with colorful mascots aren't marketed to children during cartoons because it's good for them. Not everyone has the luxury of not being sedentary, especially if much of that revolves around their job.

I wouldn't be surprised if calories in and out is, and will remain, a very helpful guideline. Whether or not someone can change that balance, and at what opportunity cost, is still something worth looking into.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
26-02-2017, 06:23 AM
Obesity is caused by easy access to spoons...................

Wink

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
26-02-2017, 06:28 AM
(26-02-2017 06:23 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Obesity is caused by easy access to spoons...................

Wink

[Image: tumblr_m798ct6Ixs1rzd746o1_500.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
27-02-2017, 07:42 PM
My two cents:
Both the way we eat as well as the way we exercise as a species has changed drastically while our physique has not changed since the stone ages.
So we evolved to eat berries, fruit, nuts, and animals pretty much.
We also used to hunt and gather food, work on shelter, fire, etc all day long.
Nowadays though:
We have a lot of processed meat. Bread. pasta, processed meat, smoothies, added sugars, too much salt, etc etc. Our diets are pretty shitty unless we make an effort to eat better.
And we also exercise less and the type of exercise is generally less draining. So an active person might walk to work or cycle. But most people drive or take the bus/train. Then we sit all day. Then we go home and sit some more. If we are conscious of that we might go to the gym and work our asses off in a ridiculous pace considering our life style. And then we go home and make up for the work out with some ice cream and oreo cookies.

I think that is the issue really nowadays.
We can try and be apologetic about it but I am pretty damn sure that this is the actual root problem. Our life style changed drastically while our biology did not.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
27-02-2017, 07:47 PM
I eat a crappy diet if you compare what I eat with what you are 'supposed' to eat. I eat when I am hungry...but not even then sometimes. Food just isn't all that important to me. When I do eat, I eat what I want or what's available. I live a pretty sedentary life. I can only assume it's genetics that keeps me at a healthy weight.

I have been told I have a vending machine diet and that's pretty accurate.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
27-02-2017, 07:54 PM
I'm fat. The reason I'm fat is because I consume more calories than I burn.

I used to be much heavier. When I was losing weight I was burning more calories than I consumed.

That's how it works.
[+] 2 users Like I'mFred's post
27-02-2017, 07:55 PM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2017 07:59 PM by yakherder.)
I jumped on the anti sugar (and all it's cousins (hfcs, agave nectar, honey, etc.)) bandwagon years ago. Best decision I made as far as diet is concerned. I never went completely anti carb, but I've never had a problem staying fit despite consuming relatively large portion of my daily calories in fat,

I eat lots of protein, quite a bit of fat, less carbohydrates though not necessarily sparse. I don't avoid but go easy on grains, have whole fruit whenever I feel like it, I allow myself something I'd consider a sweet maybe once per week, and I avoid sugary drinks (soda, fruit juice, etc.) like the plague.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
27-02-2017, 08:42 PM
(26-02-2017 01:29 AM)Aractus Wrote:  That's why many of them need to sleep with a defibrillator in the room - or even have them implanted. A normal resting heart rate is between 60 to 100 beats per minute. Endurance athletes who build up their red blood cells - swimmers, runners, cyclists, etc can have a resting heart rate as low as 30 beats per minute. At that rate the heart sometimes skips a beat, or stops entirely!

That's a load of bunk.
I'd be interested in studies that show slow resting HR (alone) in athletes leads to asystole.
http://stanfordhealthcare.org/medical-co...letes.html

I personally think some obesity can be traced to epigenetics.
People who come from families who were significantly hungry, (lacked food) for extended frequent periods may have epigenetic structures that promote eating whenever the opportunity arises, in order to survive. These days those epigenetics do not work to our advantage, where food is abundant and ubiquitous.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
27-02-2017, 09:05 PM
(27-02-2017 07:54 PM)ImFred Wrote:  I'm fat. The reason I'm fat is because I consume more calories than I burn.

I used to be much heavier. When I was losing weight I was burning more calories than I consumed.

That's how it works.

Quite honestly... You are correct. Processed foods aside the fact remains that that if you take in more calories than you burn then over time it is stored as excess fat. It's easy to lose weight (in theory) but putting that plan into action usually involves a lifestyle change. It takes roughly 3000 calories make 1lb of fat. If you consume 3000 calories less per week you will gradually lose weight over time.

I certainly don't eat like I should but I do try to eat healthy most of the time. I allow myself one cheat day a week and go eat mexican food since that is my favorite food. But I eat each day incorrectly since I only eat one meal a day. I'll eat a light snack sometime during the day but generally eat my meal around 2-3pm. That isn't healthy either but I've done it for years. I've been lucky with my weight throughout the years. Partly because I raced bikes competitively from the age of 5 through 35. I quit competitive racing 10 years ago after a bad crash but still ride everyday. Being a Firefighter / Paramedic also helps since once we put our gear on we are wearing about 90lbs of gear before we even pick up a tool. So being in shape is in my best interest for myself and the people that I work with. Then part of it is just genetics. Obesity just doesn't run in my family so that's just a lucky break down my family tree.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.