The cause of obesity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2017, 10:29 PM
RE: The cause of obesity
I've found these books are very good at explaining obesity and weight gain and how what you eat isn't simply about what your caloric intake is:

Fat Chance- Dr. Robert Lustig
Why We Get Fat- Gary Taubes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2017, 07:18 AM
For years I bought into the anti-sugar thing. For a short amount of time, I also did the anti-carb shindig and in 2011, I banished potatoes -- one of my favorite foods -- in doing so, to establish a reliance on ketones. I never felt right. Did that for about two months. Felt like shit. Shitty energy. Everything was out of whack. Eventually I said fuck it, reintroduced potatoes and started feeling normal again.

Thankfully more research has come about over the years (the site Anabolic Men is my favorite source for all things hormonal optimization) that carbs can be integral for testosterone levels (something I want to produce optimally and naturally for as long as I can). I eat fruits and potatoes just about every day. I feel great (for the most part). The big fructose scare is a little overblown, unless you are taking in over 40 or 50 grams of fructose a day.

When I did the anti-sugar/anti-carb stuff, I'd feel cold in my hands and feet (signs of a sluggish thyroid/hypometabolism). When I embraced fruit and potatoes again (my tongue gave 'em a big ol' hug), along with using coconut oil/cooking with it, those cold feelings were mitigated. I love honey! One of my favorite pre-bed snacks or even a regular dessert. Hell, I love prunes and raisins, too, which I'll eat on days I'm not eating honey. But one of my favorite snacks is cottage cheese with raisins and a little bit of honey drizzled on top. With my diet, I try to obtain saturated and monounsaturated fats from whole food sources while trying to avoid PUFAs as much as possible.

I think, in simple terms, a consistent caloric deficit over a period of time = weight loss, but that's purely weight loss, taking muscle loss into account as well. For fat loss, there needs to be a deficit + your macros (F/C/P from food) need to be on point to avoid muscle wasting. I've never met a human being on earth -- that does not have a disease or metabolic disorder -- that hasn't burned fat in a caloric deficit.
10-03-2017, 05:20 PM
(10-03-2017 07:18 AM)UndauntedToast Wrote:  Thankfully more research has come about over the years (the site Anabolic Men is my favorite source for all things hormonal optimization) that carbs can be integral for testosterone levels (something I want to produce optimally and naturally for as long as I can).

Interesting. I've been on Androgel over a decade now but I still take measures to keep the old HPTA active and my fellas inflated like hCG or D-Aspartic Acid to trick my pituitary to keep luteinizing hormone signaling in spite of the exogenous T and natural aromatase inhibitors like grape seed extract and long jack (similar in potency to Tamoxifen, that's some serious shit, no man boobs for Girly). And it's true that if a man supplements hCG he will in fact show up as pregnant on a standard home test. It's a fun party trick. Big Grin

#sigh
14-08-2017, 04:07 PM
(27-02-2017 07:55 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I jumped on the anti sugar (and all it's cousins (hfcs, agave nectar, honey, etc.)) bandwagon years ago. Best decision I made as far as diet is concerned. I never went completely anti carb, but I've never had a problem staying fit despite consuming relatively large portion of my daily calories in fat,

I eat lots of protein, quite a bit of fat, less carbohydrates though not necessarily sparse. I don't avoid but go easy on grains, have whole fruit whenever I feel like it, I allow myself something I'd consider a sweet maybe once per week, and I avoid sugary drinks (soda, fruit juice, etc.) like the plague.

I have to avoid grains like wheat like the plague. For some weird reason, it gives me brain fog and I feel like this Hobo . Finding gluten free options has become a game since I also have to be on a low carb diet.

"What sort of God would promise us a land like this?" - Zensunni lament
[+] 1 user Likes Yarnie2015's post
25-09-2017, 10:36 AM
ive never been overweight but I changed my body composition by weight lifting occasionally and then despite that, I cut carbs drastically opting for fat and protein and now I'm super lean (7-9% BF per bio impedance meter), I am vascular and I feel good and I don't feel hungry much for snacks, if I eat protein and fat. The problem is that's actually kind of rare when you're out and about but you can make it work. And the best fat for satiation is saturated animal fat. sorry but it is. And I drink lots of whole milk. and some folk say this is bad for the heart. may be, I cannot express an opinion on that but I'm skeptical though I don't want to turn this into a debate. I used to get tired also after lunch even to the extent it affected my work performance and since cutting carbs, which I'm not religious about but it's actually pretty easy since I feel good, as long as I have provisions available, then I now don't get that tired or tired at all after work, which tells me this is probably nature's 'correct' way to eat. Go figure. All those docs were wrong and they look so skinny, unhealthily skinny and neurotic, with no tone- I mean Essylstyn, mcdougall, et all. go figure because I was a vegan once out of ideology. I was conscientious and still am high in conscientiousness overall but I've given up caring about animals and that sort of ting and I am not at this point too worried about the planet in terms of what diet could do to it, or animal foods. I eat a lot of eggs and whole milk for breakfast to get a solid start. there was a guy in a nursing home who ate like 25 eggs a day according to Dr Perlmutter who was a big influence on my thinking as I listened to an audiobook of his on a long drive and that convinced me that it's probably alright. The sheer phobia people have about food and eggs and saturated fat, even as they guzzle orange tang.

Anywhoo I'm not trying to promote anything, just share the honest truth.
[+] 1 user Likes viking's post
25-09-2017, 11:48 AM
(25-09-2017 10:36 AM)viking Wrote:  ive never been overweight but I changed my body composition by weight lifting occasionally and then despite that, I cut carbs drastically opting for fat and protein and now I'm super lean (7-9% BF per bio impedance meter), I am vascular and I feel good and I don't feel hungry much for snacks, if I eat protein and fat. The problem is that's actually kind of rare when you're out and about but you can make it work. And the best fat for satiation is saturated animal fat. sorry but it is. And I drink lots of whole milk. and some folk say this is bad for the heart. may be, I cannot express an opinion on that but I'm skeptical though I don't want to turn this into a debate. I used to get tired also after lunch even to the extent it affected my work performance and since cutting carbs, which I'm not religious about but it's actually pretty easy since I feel good, as long as I have provisions available, then I now don't get that tired or tired at all after work, which tells me this is probably nature's 'correct' way to eat. Go figure. All those docs were wrong and they look so skinny, unhealthily skinny and neurotic, with no tone- I mean Essylstyn, mcdougall, et all. go figure because I was a vegan once out of ideology. I was conscientious and still am high in conscientiousness overall but I've given up caring about animals and that sort of ting and I am not at this point too worried about the planet in terms of what diet could do to it, or animal foods. I eat a lot of eggs and whole milk for breakfast to get a solid start. there was a guy in a nursing home who ate like 25 eggs a day according to Dr Perlmutter who was a big influence on my thinking as I listened to an audiobook of his on a long drive and that convinced me that it's probably alright. The sheer phobia people have about food and eggs and saturated fat, even as they guzzle orange tang.

Anywhoo I'm not trying to promote anything, just share the honest truth.

The reason you got tired after lunch was you probably ate some (or a lot of) carbohydrates, which induces a insulin release, and that makes you sleepy.
http://drcederquist.com/insulin-resistan...fter-lunch

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
25-09-2017, 08:48 PM
In my case it was 40 years of the munchies. Sad
[+] 5 users Like Gwaithmir's post
25-09-2017, 08:55 PM
(25-09-2017 08:48 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  In my case it was 40 years of the munchies. Sad

^^^ QFT.
25-09-2017, 10:20 PM
A few times I've used a low-carb diet to drop unwanted weight, but as soon as I put carbs back into the mix the weight would creep back up.

I tend towards carb cravings, so for me the most effective strategy is to front-load with a fat-heavy and/or protein-heavy meal. On days when I eat like that, I can go 6-8 hours without feeling a need to grab a snack. Too much sugar and starch, and food is the only thing I can think of.

Not sure if this has translated into weight loss, but my clothes don't seem as snug on me as of late.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-09-2017, 09:18 PM
I have been high protien low carb for ~9 months, and those carb cravings still rule my mind. I think part of my impulse to binge is driven by my body rebelling against the new me.
I am dragging myself kicking and screaming, it seems Big Grin