The "cheating" pocket game

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2011, 01:13 PM
The "cheating" pocket game
At the end of the eighties, begin nighties my brother had an electronic pocket checkers game.

I remember it vividly, a small gray box about 20 by 20 cm, some buttons, leds and mini checker disks on a small pin. They fit into slots on the board. Kind of looked like this but this is a chess version.
[Image: AAAAAqYbDSEAAAAAACjhXQ.jpg]

When it was your turn, you push the disk, pull it out of the slot, place it into the new position and push it again. Then it was the computers turn. He/she/it indicated with the X and Y leds what disk it wanted you to move. Push the disk, computer indicates where it wanted you to move the disk, put it there and push the disk again. It kept track of the moves and it was hard to cheat since it would not allow you to move the wrong disk.

It kind of worked well...
Unless...
Unless you dared to win...

On some occasions, when you where at the winning hand...
It started to move disks that where already removed from the board, did not allow you to move certain legal pieces, or made illegal moves itself. If you kept up with it, chances started to turn and you would loose in no time. Undecided

To this day, being an general electronic/software/hardware service engineer... I have absolutely no clue on how this can happen to a program. Especially a simple binary program like those that where written in the 80s.

I don't get it Huh

I's still kind of funny if I think about it. A little childish game with an attitude. Smile
Any experiences from you people?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2011, 01:23 PM
RE: The "cheating" pocket game
Yeah. I had a similar chess game it would cheat when you started to win by moving pieces that had already been captured, by not acknowledging the positions of my pieces, not recognising the type of pieces (it would say the queen was a pawn) and by not accepting legitimate moves. I would constantly rage quit. Eventually I stopped playing with it altogether.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
11-08-2011, 01:31 PM
(11-08-2011 01:23 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Yeah. I had a similar chess game it would cheat when you started to win by moving pieces that had already been captured, by not acknowledging the positions of my pieces, not recognising the type of pieces (it would say the queen was a pawn) and by not accepting legitimate moves. I would constantly rage quit. Eventually I stopped playing with it altogether.
You don't know how reassured that I am now knowing that I was not alone Smile

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
11-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Happy to help Big Grin. It sounds to me like they used the same poor programming for both of the games even though they are different machines and purchased In different decades.

11-08-2011, 02:35 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about a dirtier version of a "pocket game" haha Angel

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
11-08-2011, 04:17 PM
(11-08-2011 02:35 PM)k37713 Wrote:  I thought this thread was going to be about a dirtier version of a "pocket game" haha Angel

So what is this dirtier "pocket game" that you speak of ?. Huh Tongue

11-08-2011, 04:53 PM
oh my word i remember those, well when i was about 3 my family had one, gawd memories Big GrinD

"In real life , as opposed to that happy, clappy, rainbow fantasy world that you see fit to fly through on your winged unicorn of delusion" - Mitchell and Webb