Poll: What came first?
The chicken
The egg
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
The chicken or the egg

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2011, 10:38 AM

The chicken or the egg
What came first? The chicken or the egg?
Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2011, 10:46 AM

RE: The chicken or the egg
The egg came before the chicken.
The chicken egg came after the chicken.

This statement might appear weird at first, but taking into consideration the differentiation between species, mutations and generally evolution, it makes perfect sense.

The egg is a structure as ancient as the first unicellular microorganism.
[+] 1 user Likes Celestus87's post
11-05-2011, 11:21 AM
(11-05-2011 10:38 AM)anunn1 Wrote:  What came first? The chicken or the egg?

Your question is actually a false dichotomy...

You should try reading about primitive lifeforms to get a clear understanding of the possibilities. If you need a few good titles, feel free to contact me.

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2011, 11:47 AM
(11-05-2011 11:21 AM)Thammuz Wrote:  Your question is actually a false dichotomy...

Zactly

So many cats, so few good recipes.
11-05-2011, 12:18 PM
First off you need to define what a chicken-egg is. Is it
  1. An egg that hatches a chicken
  2. An egg laid by a chicken

Option 1: The egg came first...
Somewhere in evolution, two animals closely resembling chickens mated. The female laid the first real chicken-egg...

Option 2: The Chicken came first.
The animal hatched above could be a female laying the first chicken-egg

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
(I love it when you have 1 elegant theory to explain a lot of things.)

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
11-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Since you asked, you get to hear my little tangent about what I learned.

A species is a population of individuals that are genetically close enough to produce fertile offspring. So it would seem like the best, and impossible, test to find out when exactly the transition form leading to a chicken became a chicken would to be to hope into a time machine and follow the genetic strings into the past and mate a modern day chicken to a chicken from every generation along the way until we find one that doesn't produce fertile offspring. The problem with that(aside from there being many individuals in a generation all with different genetic makeup) is that fertility doesn't disappear within one generation. We can breed individuals that are genetically farther and farther part, and the percent likeliness that the offspring will be fertile will progressively go down, but at no point does it jump from 100% to 0%.

But, seeing at the genetic makeup of a chicken doesn't change after it hatches, whereas the genetic makeup from one generation to the next does, however you define chicken, the egg must have came first.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
11-05-2011, 09:56 PM
I think the question should be rephrased as:

Which came first?
1. The chicken
2. The egg
3. False dichotomy
4. You cannot make a special distinction between generations (No mother gave birth to offspring of another species.)

I vote 4.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
11-05-2011, 10:02 PM
I voted chicken. Since the mutation that gave rise to what is classified as 'chicken' comes first.

We don't have a clear way to categorise species in biology yet, apparently we haven't even got a 100% accurate copy of the human genome.. Still lots of reading errors.
11-05-2011, 11:46 PM

(11-05-2011 09:56 PM)daemonowner Wrote:  4. No mother gave birth to offspring of another species.

I vote 4.

And evolution happens how then? Huh

Evolution requires cosmic radiation strong enough to alter a genome (wtb Betelgeuse supernova!) to hit a parent before or during impregnation.
12-05-2011, 12:32 AM
(11-05-2011 11:46 PM)Celestus87 Wrote:  And evolution happens how then? Huh
Dividing into species only makes sense in retrospect.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.