Poll: What came first?
The chicken
The egg
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
The chicken or the egg

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2011, 03:00 AM
RE: The chicken or the egg
Compare it to the idea that a latin speaking mother would give birth to a spanish speaking child. To say that the small number of mutations that accumulated between you and your offspring counts as a speciation event is ridiculous.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2011, 07:49 AM

Yeah, I can see your point. Every single mutation indeed cannot possibly qualify as an evolutionary step. This is not what I intended to say; sorry if it came up that way. Blush
Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Dawkins also adresses this problem in 'The greatest show on earth'. He describes how difficult it is to classify humans into different categories, starting from the Australopithecus to the modern Homo Sapiens. At no specific point can you really say a new species is born. Classification may be difficult, but it makes evolution make even more sense.

So imagine how difficult it must be to classify something as a chicken, a modern egg or an egg-laying animal.

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
12-05-2011, 11:21 PM
The only way I can think of to distinguish between species is by asking whether they would be able to interbreed. If not, they could be considered different species.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

13-05-2011, 12:18 AM
That would make dogs and wolves the same species...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
13-05-2011, 12:21 AM
(12-05-2011 11:21 PM)daemonowner Wrote:  The only way I can think of to distinguish between species is by asking whether they would be able to interbreed. If not, they could be considered different species.

Manny the mule disapproves Tongue

But in general, you're right

[Image: Maultier_grau.jpg]

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
[+] 1 user Likes Thammuz's post
13-05-2011, 04:52 AM
This is what wikipedia has to say on the species problem.

13-05-2011, 10:06 AM
When I'm making chicken fried rice, the egg comes first, then gets put in a separate bowl while I stirfry the chicken.

The real question is:

Which comes first, the soy sauce or the oyster sauce (or soy and oy as I like to call them)?

And it's a trick question. Either one is good.

For God so loved the world that he arranged for everyone to both have free will and to suffer the terrible consequences of making the wrong choice. Kind of a dick move, God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-05-2011, 10:54 PM
I say the egg, thus, came the "new species" out of that egg, and so, the "Chicken could now laid chicken eggs.

[Image: ganonsigresize.png]
15-05-2011, 01:08 AM
You are all wrong.

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

The answer is very simple; A horny rooster... Tongue

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user