The circular argumentation revisited

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2016, 05:42 PM (This post was last modified: 17-08-2016 06:03 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
RE: The circular argumentation revisited
Wait... Pasadi's buddy ALSO thinks that Darwinism and Christianity are opposites?

Did he not see where I just explained that one of the greatest geneticists and evolutionary biologists in the world is a devout Christian? (As are many others, my wife included.)

What is wrong with these people?!

Edit to Add: Seriously... many truly outstanding evolutionary biologists are Christians who are outspoken about their love of God and of (actual) science.

Francis Collins - evangelical Christian who was head of Human Genome Project and is now the director of US National Institutes of Health and author of The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Reasons for Belief.
Robert Asher - palaeontologist and professor at the University of Cambridge Department of Zoology and a curator at the University Museum of Zoology. Author of Evolution and Belief: Confessions of a Religious Paleontologist.
Francisco Ayala - evolutionary biologist, works in population and evolutionary genetics. Called the "Renaissance Man of Evolutionary Biology". His studies and discoveries of human anatomy and physiology have opened up new methods and approaches to combating diseases and ailments. Author of Darwin’s Gift to Science and Religion.
R. J. Berry - former president of both the Linnean Society of London and the "Christians in Science" group. Author of God and the Biologist: Personal Exploration of Science and Faith.
John Gurdon - British developmental biologist and Anglican Christian. In 2012, he won the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for the discovery that mature cells can be converted to stem cells. Gave several interviews about how evolutionary biology informed and strengthened his faith.
Kenneth Miller - Catholic and professor at Brown University, author of Finding Darwin's God, frequent public speaker against Intelligent Design/Creationism.
Joan Roughgarden - evolutionary biologist who has taught at Stanford University since 1972. Author of Evolution and Christian Faith: Reflections of an Evolutionary Biologist.
Mary Higby Schweitzer - paleontologist at North Carolina State University who believes in the synergy of the Christian faith and the truth of empirical science, who demonstrated the method by which DNA had been preserved in the red blood cells of T. rex dinosaur bones.

And so on, and so on... literally thousands upon thousands of evolutionary biologists are Christians, worldwide. Do you realize how stupid you sound when you say that we're the ones who have to defend evolution against Christianity?

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
17-08-2016, 05:55 PM
(12-08-2016 09:37 AM)Echo Wrote:  Yes the brain naturally recognizes design when it sees 'function' and more so 'complexity with function'. 'where there is function; there is design' [...]

Nope. Raindrops are (normally) perfectly spherical due to the force of gravity. This is a conjunction of several naturally occurring things: gravitational attraction between two bodies; surface tension; molecular ionisation; kinetic energy; cooling and condensation etc. There is no observable "design" of the raindrop.

And the "function" of the raindrop is of course a process of the water cycle—which is also naturally occurring.

Lead shot has the same geometric properties as raindrops, and until recently was manufactured using exactly the same principle (molten lead dropped down shot towers). Has the lead shot therefore been "designed"? No. It originally stemmed from when William Watts noticed the sphericity of raindrops, and decided he could make lead shot using the same principle.

Your argument about design and function is on shaky ground, as Watts (obviously!) didn't design raindrops.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
17-08-2016, 06:01 PM
(10-08-2016 12:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-08-2016 12:19 PM)theBorg Wrote:  Wishful thinking: I bet I have solved more Millennium Prize Problems than you.

nanana boo boo and I bet I make a shitload ton more money than you and could sumo the shit outta you. So fucking what?

You fail to even understand what God is. Why is it so hard to understand the meaning of I AM?

What's a MIllennium Prize Problem? I'll bet I am the only on on the board who has ever removed a 12 ft long alligator from a sewage processing tank with a back hoe and chain, so there!
[+] 2 users Like Born Again Pagan's post
17-08-2016, 06:02 PM
Anyone want to take bets that Borg here won't respond to my post, just like Pasadi didn't respond to my earlier ones?

I wouldn't take the opposite bet, personally... if these adherents are any guide to the congregation, the Orthodox Church's motto seems to be "cover your eyes and ears and hum really loudly if anyone presents facts that are counter to your preexisting worldview".

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
18-08-2016, 01:57 AM
(17-08-2016 06:01 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  What's a MIllennium Prize Problem? I'll bet I am the only on on the board who has ever removed a 12 ft long alligator from a sewage processing tank with a back hoe and chain, so there!

Well, it's either this, in which he's basically claiming to have solved the Poincaré conjecture or some other magical wizardry to have answered one of the other six questions posed to the mathematical community in 2000...

...or it's trophy someone won in a race through the Kessel Run.

18-08-2016, 02:58 AM
(10-08-2016 12:19 PM)theBorg Wrote:  
(10-08-2016 12:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I AM.
Wishful thinking: I bet I have solved more Millennium Prize Problems than you.

Wow, look, it can write (quite) proper english if it only wants.
Makes one woner how much more dishonest this person is/was on various topics discussed here.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
18-08-2016, 02:00 PM
(10-08-2016 12:19 PM)theBorg Wrote:  
(10-08-2016 12:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I AM.
Wishful thinking: I bet I have solved more Millennium Prize Problems than you.

I'll take that bet. In fact I'd bet my house on it. Unless your name is Grigori Perelman we have solved the same number, zero. What the fuck fantasy world do you live in?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
19-08-2016, 12:32 AM
(18-08-2016 01:57 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(17-08-2016 06:01 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  What's a MIllennium Prize Problem? I'll bet I am the only on on the board who has ever removed a 12 ft long alligator from a sewage processing tank with a back hoe and chain, so there!

Well, it's either this, in which he's basically claiming to have solved the Poincaré conjecture or some other magical wizardry to have answered one of the other six questions posed to the mathematical community in 2000...

...or it's trophy someone won in a race through the Kegel Run.

FTFY
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
19-08-2016, 03:21 AM
Quote:...or it's trophy someone won in a race through the Kegel Run.

in only 12 parsecs?

Which made no sense and drove me nuts...Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like The Dark One's post
25-08-2016, 12:19 PM
(10-08-2016 01:08 PM)theBorg Wrote:  
(10-08-2016 12:31 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  What relevance is what "the atheists" prefer?
The atheist, who calls himself "god", is not atheist, but the anthropo-theist.

If a god existed. Would he believe in other gods?

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin