The classical music and art that you like thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2017, 08:16 AM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2017 10:08 AM by julep.)
The classical music and art that you like thread
Have at it, kids!

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2017, 08:43 AM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2017 08:46 AM by Chas.)
RE: The classical music you like thread
I'm mostly not an opera fan, but this aria moves me.

The clip is from the movie "Farinelli" about the famous 18th century castrato.
The actual singer is soprano Ditte Højgaard Andersen.

[Image: ditteha10.jpg]

I just discovered this recording by French countertenor Philippe Jaroussky. Amazing.
I don't believe he's a castrato.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
10-04-2017, 09:03 AM
My mother had some Beverly Sills albums when I was a teenager and even though I hated opera I could tell that this dame could fuckin sing!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
10-04-2017, 09:14 AM
Also, last year I happened on a youtube video of pianist, Martha Argerich. Holy shit, I'd never heard of her. I was living under a rock or something. When I watched this I literally sobbed from watching her amazing talent.

[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
10-04-2017, 09:34 AM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2017 10:04 AM by Vera.)
Okay, let’s do this thing!

[Image: sleeves2.gif?w=736]

My favourite “classical” music is… baroque Rolleyes (quite enjoy a lot of Renaissance and Mediaeval music too). Almost exclusively Italian baroque, but some French stuff is very good, too.

(This wooden staff thingy is the precursor of conducting. Story goes, Lully stabbed himself in the foot with it and later died of an infection.)

(a bit too fast, but lovely. The ringtone on my phone, as well. Minkowski, the conductor, has great recordings of Handel’s operas)

Jaroussky! Yes, Chas, he’s not a castrato, modern countertenors use a falsetto technique of sorts. Luckily for me (or maybe it’s vice versa) there’s been an increased interest in countertenors recently, so there are currently quite a few really good ones. Obviously, Jaroussky (he’ll actually have two concerts in Brazil this month, but in Sao Paolo and Rio and I’m someplace else and I think it’ll be too expensive to buy both a ticket for one of his concerts and a plane ticket, find a hotel, etc. Plus, I prefer to enjoy my music in the peace of solitude (story of my life Rolleyes ) And since there are quite a few roles in Baroque operas for countertenors (esp. my beloved Vivaldi and Handel), I’m kinda spoilt for choice… Some of my favourites besides Jaroussky are Max Emanuel Cencic and Xavier Sabata (Andreas Scholl and James Bowman are the stars of the previous generation)

You should definitely give Vivaldi’s La Fida Ninfa a listen (it has three of my favourite male singers, a tenor, a countertenor and a bass; the ladies are also very good. It’s an exceptional recording) and Handel’s Amadigi di Gaula (Pena Tiranna is from this opera). And that’s just for starters Rolleyes

But don't let me bore you... Rolleyes

PS. Also, Jaroussky is an atheist.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
10-04-2017, 11:15 AM
RE: The classical music and art that you like thread
The introduction to this is sorta boring, but about 4:50 when the main theme is introduced by the horns and the piano, it gets a lot better. It's tons-o-fun to play.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
10-04-2017, 12:37 PM
Yeah? Bach at ya'.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
10-04-2017, 01:11 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2017 01:20 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(10-04-2017 12:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yeah? Bach at ya'.

They made me learn that when I first started lessons. I could never separate it from the scary TV/movies things. Facepalm

I like this one better. The descending pedal theme at about 3:30, is very musical. I usually crank on the 32' pedal pipes to blow it out, and rattle the windows. Big Grin
I also double the octaves and use both feet for these parts. Quite lyrical. (I NEVER play the fugue).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
20-04-2017, 08:31 AM
I'm not a great opera lover but geeze, Maria Callas really was amazing. I started to binge watch some of her work and it's very impressive. Too bad she hooked up with Onassis towards the end. He didn't want a wife that had a career, or that's what I read, and then he dumped her for Jackie. Beverly Sills said something to the effect that she would trade her entire singing career for two years of singing like Maria Callas. Anyway, get your hankies out for a good cry over the Butterfly....

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
20-04-2017, 11:47 AM
Liszt.
A a couple of the simpler pieces ...

Heart

Pretty sure this is fairly well known...

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post