The colour of dinosaurs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2013, 02:04 PM
The colour of dinosaurs
The first dinosaur fossil found to retain colour belonged to a sinosauropteryx, but many people don't know this ,as apparently the news was more bothered war and celebrities doing something dumb, as if those two are remotely comparable in importance.
You can even see the banded tail on the fossil!
National geographic
Wikipedia

Some time later colour was found in an anchiornis.
National geographic
Wikipedia

What do you think, have any other species been found with preserved color? Or maybe texture?

How our understanding of dinosaurs have changed, from clumsy lumbering grey beasts to a much more varied plethora of creatures.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-05-2013, 03:23 PM
RE: The colour of dinosaurs
Well as we know, animals adapt to their surroundings. So camouflage is only logical for these creatures. Grey would have been a terrible disguise in most situations, which would lead me to believe that these animals were colored much the same as what we see today on living animals. Coloring them all the same is naive, yet logical until we find their colors however. By giving them indistinct color in our renderings, we are not making rash assumptions until we can be sure what they may have looked like.
21-05-2013, 02:08 PM (This post was last modified: 21-05-2013 02:33 PM by mysterics.)
RE: The colour of dinosaurs
It seems there is already a major topic covering all kinds of paleontology discoveries, I guess that's what I get for not reading the stickies. That's a rather bad habit of mine.

I guess it's true, in that by showing uniform color it is not so much a rash assumption until we learn more about them.
I notice imagination tends to be a bit more wild for dinosaur's color nowdays, I think partly because we know more about the habitat they lived in, the discovery of display structures, and such discoveries about real color,anchorinis must have been a striking animal indeed.