The coming Russian Theocracy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2013, 08:47 PM
The coming Russian Theocracy
Christopher Hitchens spoke a number of times about the concerning role of the Orthodox Church in Russian government. George W Bush 'looked into Putin's soul' and what he connected to was Putin's wearing a religious symbol on the day the two met. Putin very well could have been playing Bush, but if there is any doubt the role religion has on Russian governance, one needs look no further than recent anti-gay legislation passed in Russia.

Listen to Hitchens's warning. No doubt he would have much to say about recent Russian legislative obsession on stamping out homosexuality.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like BryanS's post
22-10-2013, 01:40 AM (This post was last modified: 22-10-2013 01:45 AM by PoolBoyG.)
RE: The coming Russian Theocracy
Hitch is making an ass out of himself.

'If you search the internet, you'll find some pictures praising Stalin.' Something like that. I can find one of Putin riding Sharks.

So his argument is that the Russian state uses religious tradition during government appointments.
So is the US a theocracy because new Presidents swear on the Bible? Or when courts swear on the Bible? Or when 99.99% of politicians proclaim religious beliefs? Or when the very money itself is printed to praise God?

What does Russia do? A priest waves his hands at people.

Keep it in context Hitch, christ. No fear mongering needed.

note: But yes, Putin needs to stop his and other religious bullshit within the government.
[+] 2 users Like PoolBoyG's post
22-10-2013, 08:09 PM
I say a USSR reformation is more likely. The Federation has the exact same power structure as the Union, and a poll of Ukrainians said that 70% want their old government back.
22-10-2013, 08:18 PM
(22-10-2013 08:09 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I say a USSR reformation is more likely. The Federation has the exact same power structure as the Union, and a poll of Ukrainians said that 70% want their old government back.

A recrudescent (borrowing a favorite word of Hitch) USSR is unlikely except if by force. Russians use military force on their southern border, and economic blackmail on its Western border (withholding selling energy during the winter, for instance).
22-10-2013, 08:20 PM
(22-10-2013 08:18 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(22-10-2013 08:09 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I say a USSR reformation is more likely. The Federation has the exact same power structure as the Union, and a poll of Ukrainians said that 70% want their old government back.

A recrudescent (borrowing a favorite word of Hitch) USSR is unlikely except if by force. Russians use military force on their southern border, and economic blackmail on its Western border (withholding selling energy during the winter, for instance).

True my friend, and If it does happen I doubt it will be called the USSR, though it will have 'Soviet' and 'Republic' in it's name. But between a theocracy and USSR, I pick the later. Big Grin
22-10-2013, 09:14 PM
(22-10-2013 08:20 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(22-10-2013 08:18 PM)BryanS Wrote:  A recrudescent (borrowing a favorite word of Hitch) USSR is unlikely except if by force. Russians use military force on their southern border, and economic blackmail on its Western border (withholding selling energy during the winter, for instance).

True my friend, and If it does happen I doubt it will be called the USSR, though it will have 'Soviet' and 'Republic' in it's name. But between a theocracy and USSR, I pick the later. Big Grin

There is very little difference in practice between the Soviet Union and a Theocracy. It only asked Orthodoxy to the State rather than to the Church.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
23-10-2013, 02:57 AM
Don't worry about Russia becoming a theocracy, worry about the US, it's pretty much already there.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
[+] 1 user Likes Caveman's post
23-10-2013, 05:49 AM
(23-10-2013 02:57 AM)Caveman Wrote:  Don't worry about Russia becoming a theocracy, worry about the US, it's pretty much already there.

The role of religion in the US is irrelevant to topic of this thread. "But, but, but... the US is bad too" is not a coherent argument for anything.

That said, the Russian parliament recently passed a law making offending religion illegal and punishable with fines and jail. "public actions expressing clear disrespect for society and committed with the goal of offending religious feelings of the faithful" will face punishment of up to 3 years in jail.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...sexuality/
http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/477597/20...me0hSQykxZ

And Putin signed a law in the past year that requires religion education in schools:
http://www.christianpost.com/news/russia...ols-87634/
23-10-2013, 06:27 AM
I don't see any signs that Russia is becoming a theocracy. Does Putin even have a religion?
As a former KGB guy, he is was not supposed to have one.
23-10-2013, 06:43 AM
(23-10-2013 06:27 AM)black_squirrel Wrote:  I don't see any signs that Russia is becoming a theocracy. Does Putin even have a religion?
As a former KGB guy, he is was not supposed to have one.

If you don't see it, I suspect you aren't looking. The links were supplied.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user