The coming Russian Theocracy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2013, 10:08 AM
RE: The coming Russian Theocracy
theocracy
a form of government in which God or a deity is recognized as the supreme civil ruler, the God's or deity's laws being interpreted by the ecclesiastical authorities.

In the case of Russia, it is the Kremlin doing the interpreting. I'm not making the case that Russia IS a theocracy, just that it bears watching. Insert a puppet "ecclesiastical authority" class and you're pretty on your way to a theocracy.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2013, 10:46 AM
(23-10-2013 06:43 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-10-2013 06:27 AM)black_squirrel Wrote:  I don't see any signs that Russia is becoming a theocracy. Does Putin even have a religion?
As a former KGB guy, he is was not supposed to have one.

If you don't see it, I suspect you aren't looking. The links were supplied.
Why not provide some actual links, rather than Christopher Hitchins opinion.
After his drum beat for the war in Iraq, I do not take him seriously
as an authority on international affairs.

They are probably more relaxed than in the Soviet era about religious
freedom, but to say that it is turning into a theocracy is going overboard.

there are definitely are anti-democratic tendencies. Putin has not unlearned
the old ways.
23-10-2013, 11:39 AM
I believe Chas was referring to these links:

(23-10-2013 05:49 AM)BryanS Wrote:  That said, the Russian parliament recently passed a law making offending religion illegal and punishable with fines and jail. "public actions expressing clear disrespect for society and committed with the goal of offending religious feelings of the faithful" will face punishment of up to 3 years in jail.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...sexuality/
http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/477597/20...me0hSQykxZ

And Putin signed a law in the past year that requires religion education in schools:
http://www.christianpost.com/news/russia...ols-87634/

I don't think anyone here, including myself, is stating that Russia IS becoming a theocracy. Merely stating that there are some distressing signals in that direction. The same can be said about other nations that are not the subject of this thread. Powerful nations have used religion to manipulate their citizens to advance certain goals throughout human history. Seems to me to that vis a vis Russia there is some merit to this idea. Hitchens was no fool and like many great minds we often don't see some of the wisdom unless in hindsight. As a skeptic, I don't buy into everything Hitchens said but I don't dismiss anything very easily either. His opinion has weight.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes Heathen's post
24-10-2013, 09:12 AM
"anti-gay" legislation

Nicel loaded trigger phrase to surely cream the panties of politically correct west.

Lets explore what this phrase means.

Does it mean that it is illegal to be gay? If so, then provide evidence.

Random, non related question. If me and my friends wanted to have a "we love pussy " parade or write articles expressing our love for pussy. Do you feel that this would be necessary or beneficial for society for our sexual tastes to be a parade or a magazine?

I would like an answer to that random non related to the topic question.
24-10-2013, 09:14 AM
the current russian legislation (which is or isn't anti-gay) is not a sign of a theocracy. Most countries except for the U.S. have similar laws.
24-10-2013, 09:41 AM (This post was last modified: 24-10-2013 09:48 AM by Heathen.)
(24-10-2013 09:14 AM)I and I Wrote:  the current russian legislation (which is or isn't anti-gay) is not a sign of a theocracy. Most countries except for the U.S. have similar laws.

You're kidding, right?

No, probably not. No

24-10-2013, 09:42 AM
(24-10-2013 09:41 AM)Heathen Wrote:  
(24-10-2013 09:14 AM)I and I Wrote:  the current russian legislation (which is or isn't anti-gay) is not a sign of a theocracy. Most countries except for the U.S. have similar laws.

You're kidding, right?

No, probably not. No

Do you know what the legislation is about? It's not criminalizing being gay at all.
24-10-2013, 09:44 AM
Reread what I quoted, I even put it in bold type for you.

24-10-2013, 10:17 AM
(24-10-2013 09:44 AM)Heathen Wrote:  Reread what I quoted, I even put it in bold type for you.

Yes many countries have laws against people openly stating their sexual cravings. Why is it necessary for anyone to do this in the first place is beyond me.
24-10-2013, 10:31 AM
(24-10-2013 09:14 AM)I and I Wrote:  Most countries except for the U.S. have similar laws.

Please provide examples of such laws and then explain how the US is different from every other country.