The concept of Hell

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2012, 08:19 PM
The concept of Hell
Recently I was in thread and got into a discussion with Vosur. One of the subjects that we touched upon was the concept of Hell.

At two of my local place of worship I managed to convince the clergy that there is no Hell because that would go against the greatest of God's punishments.

I'm curious about how atheists use Hell in their arguments against theists.

For theists, what is hell to you? Does it exist?

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-06-2012, 09:00 PM
RE: The concept of Hell
Hell is merely "without god." Technically, being a Christian is to be born again in spirit - imbued with the Holy Spirit - which makes it impossible to give credence to evil. It's a self-falsifying concept that has nothing to do with anything other than one person bullying another.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
14-06-2012, 09:10 PM
(14-06-2012 08:19 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  At two of my local place of worship I managed to convince the clergy that there is no Hell because that would go against the greatest of God's punishments.
Can you explain what you mean by this? How is Hell going against the greatest of God's punishments? What is the greatest of God's punishments?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
14-06-2012, 09:11 PM
My next video deals with this very subject.

Must be lots of really good people down there. What a shame. Good thing it doesn't exist.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
[+] 1 user Likes lightninlives's post
14-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Good question Xino.

I have attached a section from my book, Manifest Insanity - that I am hoping to get published soon (if any agents or publishers are reading this thread) - which covers the origins of the concept of hell for my arguments with theists. I continue on, in the chapter of my book that I extracted this section from, to discuss Revelation and the creation and embellishment of the Christian concept of hell as a weapon for their doctrine of terror.

I initially introduced myself and my book on this thread, where interested readers can see my summary of the virgin birth mythology.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Origins of Hell.pdf (Size: 92.63 KB / Downloads: 51)

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
[+] 1 user Likes Diogenes of Mayberry's post
14-06-2012, 11:07 PM
Have you read Elaine Pagel's "The Origins of Satan " ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
15-06-2012, 09:08 AM
I was raised being told that my father would probably go to hell because he didn't go to church and accept
Jesus Christ as his personal savior. I now have a son and do not accept Jesus. The father becomes the son...

It's just a bullying tactic used by the church on illiterate minds. They were told that without the church and without god they would be sent to hell. It was a way to control, and get money out of people.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
[+] 1 user Likes FaceOfBoe's post
15-06-2012, 11:50 AM
oops... I meant values > God is often described by christians for being all forgiving and loving to his creations. So the idea of eternal torture flies dorectly in teh face of this belief (I know the bible is full of contradictions, but this is about Hell)

Thanks for the link I'll read it with relish.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
15-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Hell: A place that exists only in the folklore of ancient pre-technology subsistence level agrarian societies.
Used as a metaphor for a place of punishment for those who have disobeyed the wishes of the deity of the tribal leader.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
15-06-2012, 05:17 PM
(14-06-2012 10:17 PM)Diogenes of Mayberry Wrote:  Good question Xino.

I have attached a section from my book, Manifest Insanity - that I am hoping to get published soon (if any agents or publishers are reading this thread) - which covers the origins of the concept of hell for my arguments with theists. I continue on, in the chapter of my book that I extracted this section from, to discuss Revelation and the creation and embellishment of the Christian concept of hell as a weapon for their doctrine of terror.

I initially introduced myself and my book on this thread, where interested readers can see my summary of the virgin birth mythology.
Excellent writing! I have written a book too, am bypassing agents and publishers....I don't think they are necessary. I would love to read more of your book.
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post