The concept of Hell

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2012, 10:02 PM
RE: The concept of Hell
Just as a side note, much of the modern concept of hell comes from Dantes Inferno. This gave Hell an actual physical description of hell. The popularity and the concreteness of Dante's work meant that this became the common image of hell.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-06-2012, 11:47 PM
(15-06-2012 05:17 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(14-06-2012 10:17 PM)Diogenes of Mayberry Wrote:  Good question Xino.

I have attached a section from my book, Manifest Insanity - that I am hoping to get published soon (if any agents or publishers are reading this thread) - which covers the origins of the concept of hell for my arguments with theists. I continue on, in the chapter of my book that I extracted this section from, to discuss Revelation and the creation and embellishment of the Christian concept of hell as a weapon for their doctrine of terror.

I initially introduced myself and my book on this thread, where interested readers can see my summary of the virgin birth mythology.
Excellent writing! I have written a book too, am bypassing agents and publishers....I don't think they are necessary. I would love to read more of your book.
Good luck with the book Mark . After being seriously ripped off by Publisher and on line sellers (Zeus & Boomerang Books) I too will be avoiding them like the plague. No
17-06-2012, 08:25 AM
I concur,hell must be the wickedest thing God could do,i mean after sacrificing his son to save us,he could send us to a place 'where the fires are hotter than sulphur' for eternity.If God really exists i would like to believe that this is not true.The prophets probably used Hell as a scare tactic to make people follow the coz they were a bunch of losers even the Kings wouldnt listen to.
17-06-2012, 08:52 AM
The number of people who are obviously destined to go to hell makes it difficult to believe that the current imperfect state of the universe is justified by the perfect god's intended end state. If essentially everyone is intended to end up in hell, in what way can the end state be considered perfect or even "good"? If now is not perfect, and then will not be perfect, then why do we think there might be a perfect god out there? Either he's bad (at least from a human moral perspective) or he doesn't exist. Right?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
17-06-2012, 08:58 AM
If all you have to do is accept God/Jesus as your savior, I would then expect heaven to be full.

If the heaven/hell issue is as I was taught in the Catholic church...I would have to say hell ought to be full and heaven sparsely populated. Unless they promoted all the folks in purgatory when they did away with that.

I don't give the idea much thought any more.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
17-06-2012, 09:33 AM
The funny thing about hell is it can be avoided,some lady told us in Sunday School that if you get saved,no matter how many times you sin it's ok as long as you repent.Dont know if it was true but i got saved immediately,i mean its a good deal right?
So even though i'm atheist,my last words would be repentance and im safe...scadenfreude
17-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Growing up as a Jehovahs Witness I was taught the Hell/Hades in the bible are the same thing.

But it simply means mans 'common grave.' The eternal torment means your are eternally doomed from everlasting happy life. In hell you are simply unconscious of anything.

Of course, this is just one of the many thousands of christian denominations who interpret the scriptures how they wish.

Forget Jesus. Stars died so you could live.-Lawrence Krauss

For god loved the world so much he tortured his only begotten son, gave him a 3 day nap only to wake up in ultimate awesomeness and called it a sacrifice.
17-06-2012, 09:25 PM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2012 09:28 PM by Diogenes of Mayberry.)
Hi Mark, thank you for the very kind comment in your reply. Now, if only a publisher would think that too...or see the snippets I have posted and contact me.

I am investigating the self-publishing route, but only after I had exhausted the traditional publishers. I realize they take a huge cut versus what I could earn e-publishing myself, but I would like the credibility of trying it the old-fashioned way first. I have a submissions outstanding with a few publishers who specialize in this genre, so for now I am waiting to hear. Stay tuned for more of my book, as I cover over 3000 years of doctrinal history and I have lots of material on an array of topics. I feel my greatest achievement with this book was summarizing so much into only 400 pages of satirical dialogue.

The best of luck in you publishing your manuscript. Is it also about religion?

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-06-2012, 09:34 PM
A quick humour break:

"Is hell exothermic or endothermic? Support your answer with proof."
Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law
or some variant. One student, however, wrote the following:
Quote:"First, We postulate that if souls exist, then they must
have some mass. If they do, then a mole of souls can also have a mass.
So, at what rate are souls moving into hell and at what rate are souls
leaving? I think we can safely assume that once a soul gets to hell, it
will not leave.

Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for souls entering hell, let's
look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of
these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion,
then you will go to hell. Since there are more than one of these
religions and people do not belong to more than one religion, we can
project that all people and souls go to hell. With birth and death
rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in hell to increase
exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change in volume in hell. Boyle's Law
states that in order for the temperature and pressure in hell to stay
the same, the ratio of the mass of souls and volume needs to stay constant. Two options exist:

1. If hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls
    enter hell, then the temperature and pressure in hell will increase
    until all hell breaks loose.
  2. If hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of
    souls in hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until hell
    freezes over.

So which is it? If we accept the quote given to me by Theresa Manyan
during Freshman year, "that it will be a cold night in hell before I
sleep with you" and take into account the fact that I still have NOT
succeeded in having sexual relations with her, then Option 2 cannot be
true...Thus, hell is exothermic."

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
18-06-2012, 02:13 AM
(17-06-2012 09:25 PM)Diogenes of Mayberry Wrote:  Hi Mark, thank you for the very kind comment in your reply. Now, if only a publisher would think that too...or see the snippets I have posted and contact me.

I am investigating the self-publishing route, but only after I had exhausted the traditional publishers. I realize they take a huge cut versus what I could earn e-publishing myself, but I would like the credibility of trying it the old-fashioned way first. I have a submissions outstanding with a few publishers who specialize in this genre, so for now I am waiting to hear. Stay tuned for more of my book, as I cover over 3000 years of doctrinal history and I have lots of material on an array of topics. I feel my greatest achievement with this book was summarizing so much into only 400 pages of satirical dialogue.

The best of luck in you publishing your manuscript. Is it also about religion?
Hi Diogynes, yeah...its about religion LOL. Have a look at my website, http://www.markfulton.org My email is mfulton@bigpond.net.au It might be best to chat about publishing via email so we don't derail this thread