The concept of Hell

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2012, 07:38 PM
RE: The concept of Hell
(18-06-2012 07:29 PM)Diogenes of Mayberry Wrote:  Ato, in 2007 the Catholic Church disavowed the notion that hell is full of babies, when they issued their "hope " that unbaptized babies maybe, possibly, won't go to hell. This was the Vatican's attempt to undo Augustine's idiotic doctrine of Original Sin, which, when he was forced to defend this steaming pile of crap to other bishops, is where he had to state that unbaptized babies would have to go to hell. Then along came limbo from other theologians who thought it up as a set of mental gymnastics to try to soothe all the traumatized parents.
Alright, I clearly stand corrected. I just think that it's bullshit eitherway. Good job though! I can already see you being very informative..... In fact, I'll give ya a rep.

Thumbsup

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2012, 03:58 PM
(14-06-2012 09:00 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Hell is merely "without god." Technically, being a Christian is to be born again in spirit - imbued with the Holy Spirit - which makes it impossible to give credence to evil. It's a self-falsifying concept that has nothing to do with anything other than one person bullying another.
If Hell is merely being "without god" then I'm in Hell right now. I can do this for eternity. Bring it.

[Image: 553193_635722216633_1026343474_n.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Science Believer's post
19-06-2012, 04:38 PM
(19-06-2012 03:58 PM)Science Believer Wrote:  
(14-06-2012 09:00 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Hell is merely "without god." Technically, being a Christian is to be born again in spirit - imbued with the Holy Spirit - which makes it impossible to give credence to evil. It's a self-falsifying concept that has nothing to do with anything other than one person bullying another.
If Hell is merely being "without god" then I'm in Hell right now. I can do this for eternity. Bring it.
You only think you are without god, you atheist. You are with no-god god, which is god, 'cause god's almighty like that. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
19-06-2012, 04:59 PM
If only Hell were real, we'd all get to hang out with these cats...

[Image: commonality.jpg?w=640]

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
[+] 1 user Likes Seasbury's post
19-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Y U has non-dead people in there? And I couldn't hang out wif Brad Pitt. Words would be spoken...

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
19-06-2012, 05:09 PM
(19-06-2012 05:04 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Y U has non-dead people in there? And I couldn't hang out wif Brad Pitt. Words would be spoken...
They'll be there in time... Lol

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
21-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Quote: How exactly God punishes violators of the kosher laws is a matter of
conjecture. Some scholars speculate that it involves a period of
spiritual cleansing in gehinnom, the Jewish version of hell, while others believe God may permanently destroy the souls of serial offenders.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_p...food_.html

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
21-06-2012, 11:16 PM
Heaven & Hell are imaginative mental constructs used to manipulate people. If you can't sway someone with a reward, sway them with a punishment.

Just obey me and all will be good. If you don't, things can get much worse, not only for you but for all your loved ones.

A while back I made the argument that an all knowing being would also be an all feeling being, meaning that this being would feel every tortuous moment of every soul in hell for all time. One person feeling torture for all time would be unimaginable, but imagine if you felt the tortures of everyone who ever lived writhing in hell.

So the next time a theist talks about their all knowing god, mention ^ this idea that their god feels the torture of a billion billion souls and that's why he's unable to stop a rapist, to stop a murderer, to prevent any natural disaster, to do anything at all, because he's in so much agonizing pain.

Then laugh maniacally like the Joker and walk away.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
22-06-2012, 12:54 AM
I came up with an argument that infinite reward/punishment in a logical fallacy (not explained like the best, but I hope you get my point.) The thread was called "The Concept of Hell," but it was basically just me seeing if I was on the right path with that fallacy. Here you go, maybe it would help some.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...pt-of-Hell

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned" - Anonymous
I am glad to live where there is no God, for I am moral, and mortal; I do not wish to worship He who crafts an immoral immortality.
22-06-2012, 02:32 AM
The eternity of the spirit idea, then the punishment of that spirit in an eternity of hell, is what I think leads so many religious people to seem to be obsessed with death.

Which in it's self is dangerous. Cause it shifts all priorities to the afterlife.

When the concern should be for the living, and those who will be alive when we are gone.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp