The concept of Hell

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-06-2012, 06:44 AM
RE: The concept of Hell
I put the science to it... kinda. Went up to fourteen random Christians and told them, "I will burn in hell for you." (Dang Gwynnies made me do it; it's a long story... Tongue) The short story is, don't try that shit at home. Anybody that seriously believes in the gospel of hell or preaches that shit should be launched head-first into a wood chipper. One with dull blades. And piranha.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-06-2012, 11:22 AM
I like that House - I could see telling some Christians "If Jesus wants to save me, then he should take my place in hell. Let him burn for all eternity for me. Now that's a sacrifice"

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
24-08-2012, 05:36 AM
When I was a small child, someone tried to explain heaven as a wonderful top of the line house that you will live in, hell was like living in the slums. As an adult one place is happiness/comfort the other sadness/pain. I thought then, and still believe that if I am wrong and there is heaven/hell, I would rather live in the slums in eternal sadness/pain then be with some of the truly horrible people that will go to heaven because they went to church on a Sunday..

Pascals wager in reverse Smile
[+] 1 user Likes saki's post
24-08-2012, 08:46 AM
The present concept of "eternal fire" probably comes from the constantly burning trash dump, in the Valley of Hinnon, outside the City of Jerusalem. The bodies of criminals were dumped there, (it's possible Jesus, if he even existed, was dumped there). The huge number of carcasses of animals were dumped there. The stench was likely overwhelming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gehenna

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
24-08-2012, 09:09 AM
(14-06-2012 08:19 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  Recently I was in thread and got into a discussion with Vosur. One of the subjects that we touched upon was the concept of Hell.

At two of my local place of worship I managed to convince the clergy that there is no Hell because that would go against the greatest of God's punishments.

I'm curious about how atheists use Hell in their arguments against theists.

For theists, what is hell to you? Does it exist?
Here is what I usually say. According to Christianity, we are to believe in God out of faith. According to Christianity, not believing in God is punishable by eternity in hell. It doesn't matter what else we may do in our lives, if we don't have faith in God, we can be cast into hell. Why is faith necessary at all? If this was true, then having faith would be the single most important thing we can do in our lives and yet, God hasn't bothered to make this obvious to each and every one of us. As a parent, I do every thing in my power to help my children succeed. Why would God leave failure by ignorance such a real possibility for all of us? Why not just let us know without a doubt that he exists and just require that we follow his teachings? It makes no sense.

And when we fail to have faith out of nothing but honest ignorance, instead of helping us see the "truth", we are punished. But, not only are we punished, but we are punished in the most cruel way imaginable - by eternal pain and suffering of the highest magnitude. God, being omnipotent and all (*cough, cough*) could choose to just make us cease to exist since we are such an "abomination". That would seem to solve all his problems with us. So why doesn't he at least do that? What kind of being would send us to eternal suffering instead? It sounds more like Satan than any god.

The typical response I get to that is along the lines of "God doesn't send us to hell, we send ourselves there by our own freely chosen sins."

Fine, but at the very least God allows us to send ourselves there when he could demonstrate the all-loving mercy he supposed to have and remove us from existence so we don't have to suffer the torturous consequences of our own mistakes for eternity. Besides, since God supposedly creates everything, then he created hell. Why would any omni-benevolent being create such a place?

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair