The concept of forgiveness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2015, 10:36 AM
The concept of forgiveness
This past weekend I was on one of our worship teams at our main campus location for the church I still reluctantly attend from time to time. They started a series on forgiveness and I thought, "well, okay, this might actually be decent." I will admit some of the ideas that were thrown out were satisfactory but then came the bomb drop......

.....You can't forgive someone without having god in your life. What the fuck? Forgiveness, apart from god, is void and meaningless. Huh?

Why does christianity feel that it has the market cornered on the concept of forgiveness? This question opened up the door for other questions...where did the concept originate from? How did it develop? Why is it primarily associated with religions, specifically christianity? I've attempted to do some google searches incognito so that it doesn't search for my biases but I've been drawing blanks because everything I hit on links back to religion or christianity. Has anyone come across or done any studies on the psychology of forgiveness and where this comes from?

I would think that one could only need to grant forgiveness if they feel they have been wronged. And to be wronged may stem from a belief that some right has been violated. This is as far as I got...

**Crickets** -- God
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2015, 10:41 AM
RE: The concept of forgiveness
Yes, many Christians have a hard time believing anyone can do anything without God--and that includes forgiveness. *sigh* Here's an interesting article I found.

http://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/...s_instinct

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
11-08-2015, 11:09 AM
Not sure if article is relevant to the topic, but here it is: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/forgiveness/

As for concept being associated with religion it may be simply the case of religion apropriating whatever concept clergy think it's good for their own use. Just like with morality - you can't be good without sky daddy.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
11-08-2015, 11:53 AM
I would think the ideas of offense, apology, and forgiveness would be much studied in the social sciences (but am heading for a nap and too lazy to google). Apology and forgiveness provide a ritual that smooths the way for members of a group to work together even after they've been at odds with each other.

I agree with you that the person doing the forgiving is coming from a feeling of being wronged. (Though that feeling may be somewhat manufactured and the "wrong" may not be a wrong at all in the onlookers' eyes. "Forgiveness" was one of my mother-in-law's favorite ways of wrong-footing people.)

Forgiveness can be tricky/ambiguous and often produces more offense and conflict, not less. It's easy to see why people would associate it with god, as it fits so well with the divine MO.
16-08-2015, 09:11 PM
LOL Is that why ''God'' created ''hell?'' Because he is so ...forgiving?

At least when I'm pissed at someone, I don't throw them into a fire pit ...forevah! Ohmy

Be true to yourself. Heart