The continuing degeneration of "NEW ATHEISMS" idols

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2013, 07:54 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2013 08:02 PM by PoolBoyG.)
RE: The continuing degeneration of "NEW ATHEISMS" idols
I'll make a quick note on some people (mostly Matt Dillahunty, Noam Chomsky and PZ Myers) mentioned that I recognized, and found most agreeable when considering a larger spectrum of topics concerning society. Really all out excellent and well reasoned and empathic guys. Thumbsup

But I'll be addressing those (the usual suspects Rolleyes ) that have peddled misinformation, fear mongering, general irrational and misguided bigotry that do cause harm to society not only on an individual basis but as a whole. I don't think I’ll find anything new to address, since I already see users reusing similar talking points already addressed in the Original Post, so i'll just make my grand post now.

It may be that some users see themselves as antitheists who want to target all religions equally and on point, but are misguided on how to go about it. Some have expressed themselves as unabashed doomsday islamophobes, “THE CULTURE WAR IS COMING!” Bechased Or are just run of the mill keyboard racists. Hobo The following is for those fine people.

Well, here we go… Drinking Beverage

POE’S?
We have users that think irrational and racist attitudes towards Muslims are a conspiracy theory – a fabrication – something imagined with no evidence for. Something that is a non issue and should be silenced. This is a level of degeneracy that’s beyond my abilities to mend. I wish I had greater trust that some people aren't so detached from reality, that they’re bored poe’s. But in my heart or hearts, I know they're sincere. Confused

MUSLIMS TODAY ARE A UNIQUE EVIL
Something already addressed in the OP, but something armchair crusaders are desperately pushing for. Users here aren't critiquing Islam; they’re targeting Muslims – people – people of a defined religion and region – ALL OF THEM.

No, bad antitheist, bad! Beat_stick

Why can’t these people accept historical and current circumstances of certain regions that are impoverished due to larger factors already addressed?
Why don’t these people accept examples of similar regions that suffer in the same way but are of a completely different religion, culture, race, or what have you? Or of regions and religions similar to the more “noble” and “civilized” religions and believers? Huh

BUZZWORDS AND THE REAL VICTIMS
Some users here love codeword’s. Don’t want to be a confrontational racist? Well, we have tried and true codewords. Use words like “urban” or “ghettos”. “I’m not saying black people, but certain people in cities. I’M not racist. YOU’RE racist for calling me out on it. I’M the victim here.”
By why stop there? “Islamophobe is a code word for anti-white!”
"I'M not RACIST. I'm just using words to define an entire people. STOP PERSECUTING ME!" Bechased

MUSLIMS, ISLAM, ARABS, TERRORISTS – WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE?
Here’s where users get especially sloppy, inaccurate, insidious and dangerous. You still have users painting beliefs and crimes of a few onto ENTIRE regions - billions of people. How offensive is it to be sneered and barked at to speak for my entire white male race when the mafia, or US military murders innocent people intentionally for their belief of a greater good? Or defending myself against some supposed atheist leaders atrocities? Are these users so blind? And to have these exact same people IGNORE when these groups do openly and loudly object to it.

CRUSADER MENTALITIES
"If you don’t support our racist bigotry, then you support terrorists. It’s black and white; you’re either with “US” or “THEM”.”
This isn't a fantasy world, these aren’t fantasy people. These aren’t faceless hive minded hordes, and you are NOT persecuted crusaders. Your theoretical and racist stoicism is bullshit.

Alright, i'm done. Bowing

But seriously, you guys have some awful beliefs. You know who you are Dodgy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like PoolBoyG's post
09-08-2013, 08:00 PM
(09-08-2013 07:54 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  I'll make a quick note on some people (mostly Matt Dillahunty, Noam Chomsky and PZ Myers) mentioned that I recognized, and found most agreeable when considering a larger spectrum of topics concerning society. Really all out excellent and well reasoned and empathic guys. Thumbsup

But I'll be addressing those (the usual suspects Rolleyes ) that have peddled misinformation, fear mongering, general irrational and misguided bigotry that do cause harm to society not only on an individual basis but as a whole. I don't think I’ll find anything new to address, since I already see users reusing similar talking points already addressed in the Original Post, so i'll just make my grande post now.

It may be that some users see themselves as antitheists who want to target all religions equally and on point, but are misguided on how to go about it. Some have expressed themselves as unabashed doomsday islamophobes, “THE CULTURE WAR IS COMING!” Bechased Or are just run of the mill keyboard racists. Hobo The following is for those fine people.

POE’S?
We have users that think irrational and racist attitudes towards Muslims are a conspiracy theory – a fabrication – something imagined with no evidence for. Something that is a non issue and should be silenced. This is a level of degeneracy that’s beyond my abilities to mend. I wish I had greater trust that some people aren't so detached from reality, that they’re bored poe’s. But in my heart or hearts, I know they're sincere. Confused

Something already addressed in the OP, but something armchair crusaders are desperately pushing for. Users here aren't critiquing Islam; they’re targeting Muslims – people – people of a defined religion and region – ALL OF THEM.

Why can’t these people accept historical and current circumstances of certain regions that are impoverished due to larger factors already addressed?
Why don’t these people accept examples of similar regions that suffer in the same way but are of a completely different religion, culture, race, or what have you? Or of regions and religions similar to the more “noble” and “civilized” religions and believers? Huh

Some users here love codeword’s. Don’t want to be a confrontational racist? Well, we have tried and true codewords. Use words like “urban” or “ghettos”. “I’m not saying black people, but certain people in cities. I’M not racist. YOU’RE racist for calling me out on it. I’M the victim here.”
"I'M not RACIST. I'm just using words to define an entire people. STOP PERSECUTING ME!" Bechased

Here’s where users get especially sloppy, inaccurate, insidious and dangerous. You still have users painting beliefs and crimes of a few onto ENTIRE regions - billions of people. How offensive is it to be sneered and barked at to speak for my entire white male race when the mafia, or US military murders innocent people intentionally for their belief of a greater good? Or defending myself against some supposed atheist leaders atrocities? Are these users so blind? And to have these exact same people IGNORE when these groups do openly and loudly object to it.

CRUSADER MENTALITIES
"If you don’t support our racist bigotry, then you support terrorists. It’s black and white; you’re either with “US” or “THEM”.”
This isn't a fantasy world, these aren’t fantasy people. These aren’t faceless hive minded hordes, and you are NOT persecuted crusaders. Your theoretical and racist stoicism is bullshit.

But seriously, you guys are awful. You know who you are Dodgy

What a load of crap. Islam is not a region or a people is is an IDEA it is not racist to criticise it. If you want to be an apologist for the most misogynistic backwards thinking and repressive religion in the world today fine but do not call me or anyone else a racist who speaks out against it!

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
09-08-2013, 08:02 PM
(09-08-2013 07:54 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  ... those (the usual suspects Rolleyes ) that have peddled misinformation, fear mongering, general irrational and misguided bigotry...

Some have expressed themselves ... just run of the mill keyboard racists ... those fine people...

... users... some people... they’re bored poe’s... But in my heart or hearts, I know they're sincere...

... armchair crusaders ... Users here ...

... these people ... these people...

... Some users here...

... users get especially sloppy... users painting beliefs... these users...

But seriously, you guys are awful. You know who you are Dodgy

Don't be fatuous. It doesn't become you.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
09-08-2013, 11:18 PM
(09-08-2013 07:54 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  I'll make a quick note on some people (mostly Matt Dillahunty, Noam Chomsky and PZ Myers) mentioned that I recognized, and found most agreeable when considering a larger spectrum of topics concerning society. Really all out excellent and well reasoned and empathic guys. Thumbsup

But I'll be addressing those (the usual suspects Rolleyes ) that have peddled misinformation, fear mongering, general irrational and misguided bigotry that do cause harm to society not only on an individual basis but as a whole. I don't think I’ll find anything new to address, since I already see users reusing similar talking points already addressed in the Original Post, so i'll just make my grand post now.

POE’S?

CRUSADER MENTALITIES

I agree completely, I find it hard sometimes to call myself atheist.
As I read and hear comments by other atheists I'm disgusted by there lack of intellect and consideration of life's intricacies. Having respect for all considerations is a part of what makes society function well.

It seems to me there is far to much hate and misunderstanding put forward in the name of atheism. If you belittle a race of people because of there beliefs, that's because you are an arsehole NOT because you're an atheist.
10-08-2013, 12:39 AM
(09-08-2013 11:18 PM)wheresmybeans Wrote:  

POE’S?

CRUSADER MENTALITIES

I agree completely, I find it hard sometimes to call myself atheist.
As I read and hear comments by other atheists I'm disgusted by there lack of intellect and consideration of life's intricacies. Having respect for all considerations is a part of what makes society function well.

It seems to me there is far to much hate and misunderstanding put forward in the name of atheism. If you belittle a race of people because of there beliefs, that's because you are an arsehole NOT because you're an atheist.

What race of people?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-08-2013, 12:54 AM
(10-08-2013 12:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-08-2013 11:18 PM)wheresmybeans Wrote:  I agree completely, I find it hard sometimes to call myself atheist.

What race of people?

Yeah I know, it’s confusing, right? Where we are focusing on religion, they are focusing on race

It’s almost like they are the ones being racist. And perhaps being prejudice towards us…

hmmm…

10-08-2013, 01:32 AM
(09-08-2013 11:18 PM)wheresmybeans Wrote:  I agree completely, I find it hard sometimes to call myself atheist.

"Their lack of intellect"? It's true in some cases but certainly a blanket statement like this is untrue. Do you really view atheists as lacking in intellect? Are you aware of the amount of atheism among the best educated?

There's a difference between having respect and being in agreement -- let's not confuse the two. While I agree that Richard Dawkins can be disrespectful (as I've argued against him on his own site), he is certainly fair in many cases against his opponents. In The God Delusion, to give just one example, he gave both the case for and against Hitler's Christianity and came to (what I feel is) a thoughtful conclusion that we can't really know if Hitler was a Christian or not. And when we're talking about someone like Sam Harris, I'm not aware of a single case in which he hasn't given his opponents all the respect they deserve.

Holding prejudice against a group, however, is not respectful. Prejudice doesn't make a society function well.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Starcrash's post
10-08-2013, 06:59 AM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2013 07:04 AM by cjs.)
Poolboyg, you can read the new atheist authors' books and listen to their speeches, but in the end you decide what your opinion is. Take the ideas from each that you want to explore further, and leave the ones you do not. I've read some of most of the ones mentioned and agree with some of it, not so much with other parts of it. For example, I'm not sure about the lack of free will that Sam Harris talks about as someone mentioned above. I like Matt Dilahuntey's logic and ability to break it down. Hitch had ideas on things beyond atheism, some of which I didn't agree with. Thought-provoking authors, if they're good, will make you think and might piss you off at times too.

As for criticizing religions such as Islam, I'm a woman, so Islam scares me. I am in the south, so right-wing fundie Christians scare me. The repression of women is a common theme, but it's been done in Christianity too, so I'm not just picking on a group of people. I base that on what history I've read and what I see on the news (such as the Taliban shooting girls for trying to go to school, the inquisition, our legislature wasting tax dollars on school prayer and past efforts to not teach evolution, etc.)

The point is, don't try to find one person to emulate. Sift through the information, and form your own opinions. Who knows, you might write a book one day that we will be debating about?

Godless in the Magnolia State
[+] 2 users Like cjs's post