The cost of atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2014, 06:59 AM
The cost of atheism
Hi all,

Brief disclosure, I am a christian but not here to get into bun fights. Been there, done that, not interested.

I do want to raise a point about the cost of atheism to the western world. In particular I live in the UK, but I'm sure this holds true for the US etc.

I do not think that atheism ever has a chance of winning the day. Thats not because I am a christian its just that human beings have an inherent need to worship and derive meaning from God - however they articulate or formulate that. Thats why in the US Atheists are the most mistrusted people in society. Thats not going to change. Again, not a christian point, just a point.

However, atheists main point of attack has been on christianity. I realise that in the heat of debate silly things are said, christians are demonised, described as violent because of the OT, etc etc. And this has had an effect on society, you have had an impact. I think thats been seen in gay marriage etc.

Here is the rub. People are not turning to atheism, they never will. Instead Islam is filling the void. I predict that within 20 years the UK will be an Islamic state. I don't know about the US. If you want to know what that will look like, take a look at the Calaphate. This is the cost of atheism. You are trading Christianity for Islam.

Of course Christianity will continue and perhaps even thrive. Historically, it is when we are marginalised, and persecuted that the church is refined, becomes what it was meant to be, and grows. But what will society look like? Your attacks on Islam them will not be met with the same non-violent response that you have received from christians. This is the cost of atheism.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2014, 07:22 AM
RE: The cost of atheism
Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum.

The cost of atheism... losing facebook friends and ... nope, that's about it.

So what are you advocating? That christians and atheists should team up to repel the evil tide of Islam? I guess it wouldn't be the first time.

[+] 9 users Like DLJ's post
27-08-2014, 07:30 AM
Our (the US) attacks on Islam is not from atheist. Remember the US is a "Christian nation" or at least that is what a majority of the population thinks.

The cost of being an atheist in the US could be significant. In some cases it cost people their family, friends, jobs, etc. Being an open atheist also means you are not going to be trusted by lots of people.
27-08-2014, 07:31 AM
To be frank, I am past making suggestions. Im just pointing out the obvious.

Everyone likes to have a cause, an enemy, something to fight for, its human. We can choose what we do, but we cannot choose the consequences.
27-08-2014, 07:31 AM
Citations as to the growth of Islam? I'm UK based but I see very little evidence of much growth - indeed if anything I would say that the younger generation of British Muslims are more accepting of secular values, obviously not in every case but certainly for the majority. If anything I would say in 20 years that British Muslims will have a more violent minority - but it will be a smaller minority...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 2 users Like CiderThinker's post
27-08-2014, 07:34 AM
Can you believe in Father Christmas (Santa Claus) again after it was revealed to you as a lie? No. In the same way people can't go back to Christianity. Nor to Islam.

The reason you are scared about Islam 'filling the void' in the UK is because of the idea that they breed faster. If so then it's not going to matter if the original natives are Christian or atheist.

Therefore your reasoning is flawed.

And yes, more people are actually rejecting organised religion. I suspect because it's easier to reject religion the younger you are and the wide spread use of the Internet as allowed people to learn more at a younger age.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
27-08-2014, 07:35 AM
(27-08-2014 07:30 AM)wazzel Wrote:  Our (the US) attacks on Islam is not from atheist. Remember the US is a "Christian nation" or at least that is what a majority of the population thinks.

The cost of being an atheist in the US could be significant. In some cases it cost people their family, friends, jobs, etc. Being an open atheist also means you are not going to be trusted by lots of people.

Sorry to hear that. There is of course, no such thing as a christian nation, only a nation that has christians in it. I would not describe either the US or UK as christian. The danger of 'christian nations' is mass hypocrisy and bad decisions. Just as going to MacDonalds doesn't make you a christian, so going to church doesn't make you a christian, and much less living in a nation that calls itself christian.
27-08-2014, 07:35 AM
Also - we are living proof that the need for God is not inherent....

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 5 users Like CiderThinker's post
27-08-2014, 07:36 AM
Doom on the horizon!!... Not sure why you actually fear that is happening. It's a fear that I've seen particular US politicians stir up every now and is even more outrageously laughable in that scenario.

People may frequently like to cling to groups or ideas, but that isn't limited to religions.

But if Islam became the majority anyway... or was truly culturally rises to a noticeable or impactful level. That "atheism focused against Christianity" would shift to more equal focus against Islam. Christianity is only focused on for being a majority that exerts it's control.

But we'll remember this idea when 50 years go by and the Shinto's come out of their underground fortresses and spread their messages across.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
27-08-2014, 07:37 AM
The stats don't back you up on this, Christian affiliation and church attendance are declining, we can look at the amount of people that declare themselves as "no religion" in Britain:

[Image: article-2109488-1201DB96000005DC-137_468x317.jpg]

There has been a similar increase in America, particularly among Millennials:

[Image: GallupDec2009Poll01.gif]

If you don't think church leaders are concerned about this, you just aren't paying attention.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 8 users Like TheInquisition's post