The cost of atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2014, 11:31 AM
RE: The cost of atheism
(27-08-2014 10:42 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(27-08-2014 10:37 AM)ChristianMan Wrote:  Not sure what you are on about. I haven't tried to prove the existence of God. I wouldn't bother here to be honest. All I have done is answer questions about the Bible. Nothing circular. I think atheists like to leap on an idea and ride it because others do. Its a bit self congratulatory and fruitless.

Don't hand me that crap. This is not our first rodeo. You came in here with the idea that you had this awesome invention and if you "just" expose us to it we would magically fold and go "wow, that is neat".

If you are not here to provide evidence for your god then you are wasting our time and yours. Otherwise be willing to consider that you are the one who is wrong and we are here to explain to you why you are wrong.

I don't lie about what I want for you(humanity in general). I think humanity can do way better than believing in a fictional sky hero based on an ancient comic book. You and everyone else with other god claims.

Brian, I'm sorry I find you irrational and unpleasant. I don't think your comments reflect the content of this thread, and I'm going to disengage from you. You seem like a very angry unhappy man. I don't think atheism is working for you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2014, 11:32 AM
(27-08-2014 10:46 AM)TheBear Wrote:  
(27-08-2014 10:33 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Can someone give me the gist of what this new guys believes about homosexuality?

He's confused about it. He has strong homosexual urges, but at the same time, thinks its morally wrong. So, he blames atheists. Drinking Beverage

That made me laugh, thanks.
27-08-2014, 11:32 AM
(27-08-2014 11:31 AM)ChristianMan Wrote:  
(27-08-2014 10:42 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Don't hand me that crap. This is not our first rodeo. You came in here with the idea that you had this awesome invention and if you "just" expose us to it we would magically fold and go "wow, that is neat".

If you are not here to provide evidence for your god then you are wasting our time and yours. Otherwise be willing to consider that you are the one who is wrong and we are here to explain to you why you are wrong.

I don't lie about what I want for you(humanity in general). I think humanity can do way better than believing in a fictional sky hero based on an ancient comic book. You and everyone else with other god claims.

Brian, I'm sorry I find you irrational and unpleasant. I don't think your comments reflect the content of this thread, and I'm going to disengage from you. You seem like a very angry unhappy man. I don't think atheism is working for you.

Why because it frustrates you that you cant control the conversation?Is that why you call me irrational?

I am not the one with the invisible sky hero.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-08-2014, 11:33 AM
(27-08-2014 11:05 AM)phil.a Wrote:  
(27-08-2014 10:44 AM)joben1 Wrote:  Christianman, what does moral mean to you?

It looks to me like it's something he receives from authority.

I'd infer from this that he can't yet ethically discern by himself, e.g. he's at pre-rational levels of moral development

If so, he probably won't be able to understand the possibility of ethical discernment without a moral rule book, since the possibility of doing that will be out of sight to him.

Phil

Thats rather condescending Phil. What a shame.
27-08-2014, 11:34 AM
Looked up "circular reasoning" yet, or are you simply going to whine and complain about what we are not doing?

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-08-2014, 11:35 AM
(27-08-2014 11:31 AM)ChristianMan Wrote:  You seem like a very angry unhappy man. I don't think atheism is working for you.

What the hell does Brian's Atheism have to do with his level of happiness?

Atheism has nothing to do with one's happiness. You can be the cherry on a shit sundae and still be an atheist, you can be a happy person and be an atheists.

Not only are you delusional about your own beliefs, you are also delusional about atheism.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
27-08-2014, 11:36 AM
(27-08-2014 11:31 AM)ChristianMan Wrote:  You seem like a very angry unhappy man. I don't think atheism is working for you.

(27-08-2014 11:33 AM)ChristianMan Wrote:  Thats rather condescending Phil. What a shame.

Pot, meet kettle.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
27-08-2014, 11:38 AM
Provide us with the study that demonstrates believers are more happy than other groups, or STFU.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
27-08-2014, 11:38 AM
(27-08-2014 11:18 AM)ChristianMan Wrote:  
(27-08-2014 10:23 AM)CiderThinker Wrote:  No - because I don't believe the teachings of Jesus to be moral. But I would at least more satisfied as to the rationale of the choice to become one.

Two things then:

1. Can you give me examples of the teachings of Jesus that are immoral?

2. On what basis do you say they are immoral?

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling, in singleness of heart, as you obey Christ;

Tells slaves to accept their place as slaves.

If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple.

Openly preaches hate.

“Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.”

Places blind faith on the same level as reasonable doubt - to my mind the latter is far more moral.

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself.

Gives free reign for believers to think nothing of consequences of their actions.

Those are four that immediately spring to mind.

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 3 users Like CiderThinker's post
27-08-2014, 11:39 AM
(27-08-2014 11:10 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(27-08-2014 11:00 AM)ChristianMan Wrote:  Bucky, diversion to my grammar will not hold as a valid answer to my question, to which of course you have no valid answer.

We have had a completed Bible for 2000 years now, unchanged. Why do you say we do not have a set moral standard? Do not murder, do no lie, do not steel, ring any bells? My stance here on homosexuality is based on the Bible, so I have no clue what you are on about.

Look at this clown. This is going to be a slaughter once GWOG and Bucky go all Divinity college on him. The Bible was completed 2000 years ago!!!!!! It was despite that fact that most of the books were not even written til the 2nd or even 3rd century. What an ignoramus. Ok I don't have to bother with this fool at all as he knows nothing about his faith or his book.

Its such a shame to come here and just be called a fool, an ignoramus, a prat. Guys, your not selling atheism very well. Your just unpleasant not nice people, who seem incapable of reasonable and rational discussion. Do I have to be the enemy just because I am a chrisitan? I have friends who are atheists, we manage not to shoot each other. Yes, I disagree with you, and? Is that life threatening to you, are you insecure in your beliefs? I don't get it. I was hoping to make friends here.