The cost of atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2014, 02:44 PM
RE: The cost of atheism
(27-08-2014 02:32 PM)ChristianMan Wrote:  
(27-08-2014 02:25 PM)wazzel Wrote:  Atheist are no different in the consistency of they morality that religious people. We are all human and exhibit the same traits.

tally up insults in this thread see how the atheists come out. Anyway, by inconsistent I meant that atheists have no universal standard of right and wrong. So each does what is right in their own eyes, or that of their peer group.

Christians do not have a universal standard either. Each denomination views things a little bit differently. It will vary within denominations also, based on peer groups. Using this just because it is a current issue, look at how different religious groups react to the gay rights issue. If Christian morals were universal they would all be reacting the same, but they are not.

Again we are all human, that trumps the nature of our view on religion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2014, 02:45 PM
(27-08-2014 02:34 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(27-08-2014 02:22 PM)wazzel Wrote:  The only one written close enough to the crucifixion (in about year 30) to have had an eye witness is Matthew. If you think the righter was young, but old enough to be a part of what was going on, say 15 or so in year 30. That would make that person a minimum of 75 at the time Matthew was written, using the year 90 as a reasonable estimate. That is on the extremely high end of life expectancy for that time. All the other were written far enough away to exceed the normal life span at that time to have been an eye witness.

I don't think we know with any certainty when they were written, either. Most of that stuff is in the form of educated guesses. I'm not disagreeing with the scholarly consensus -- just pointing out that it's not something we know.

No we do not know for sure, but I would call it more than an educated guess.
27-08-2014, 02:46 PM
(27-08-2014 02:25 PM)wazzel Wrote:  Atheist are no different in the consistency of they morality that religious people. We are all human and exhibit the same traits.

tally up insults in this thread see how the atheists come out. Anyway, by inconsistent I meant that atheists have no universal standard of right and wrong. So each does what is right in their own eyes, or that of their peer group.

Or perhaps their culture? Just like religionists. You don't get your morals from the Bible, you get them from your self and your culture.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
27-08-2014, 02:48 PM
(27-08-2014 02:32 PM)ChristianMan Wrote:  tally up insults in this thread see how the atheists come out. Anyway, by inconsistent I meant that atheists have no universal standard of right and wrong. So each does what is right in their own eyes, or that of their peer group.

First of all, the atheists in this thread are just a handful to the total number worldwide. You cannot judge the whole by the select few that are here, good or bad. Secondly, I think atheists standards are at least on par with Christians because it all boils down to "how does this affect me", even if you don't want to see it that way. I don't want to be murdered, so its fair to assume that my neighbor shouldn't be either. I don't want to be stolen from, so neither should my neighbor. I don't want to be assaulted... etc.

To say that I need a deity to want good things for myself (have morals) is a non-argument to me.

Yes I do agree that there is no universal standard, but on the major issues. (life, health, property) the majority are in agreement.

Please visit my blog at whatisatheism.blogspot.com.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-08-2014, 02:50 PM (This post was last modified: 27-08-2014 10:37 PM by kingschosen.)
Also, you're another hypocrite claiming to be "of God" while condemning people unabashedly.

This is why I have such an unpleasant view of fellow Christians. I've spent nearly 3 years trying to bridge the gap and share respect and understanding, yet your kind blows up my bridge with a single thread.

You're not unique. We've seen dozens of your kind here. Maybe you should actually follow the Bible and live with love for all people and ignore their sin as Christ does.

Those elected by God have no sin... it's not seen by God because it's forgiven.

Again, you're trying to pretend to be more righteous than God, and you're using Christianity as a cover for your hate.

I'm out too, I guess. I have nothing left to say to your pathetic self.

*drops mic*

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 6 users Like kingschosen's post
27-08-2014, 02:54 PM (This post was last modified: 27-08-2014 06:40 PM by Bucky Ball.)
But never forget, he came here "hoping to make friends".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
27-08-2014, 02:55 PM

tally up insults in this thread see how the atheists come out.

The only difference I see so far is that the atheists are actually aware they are saying deeply offensive things :-)

Phil
27-08-2014, 03:02 PM
(27-08-2014 12:34 PM)ChristianMan Wrote:  
(27-08-2014 11:56 AM)wazzel Wrote:  Does not help the situation at all, Jesus said you still have to follow the old rules (Matthew 5:17).

No he didn't, He said he did not come to abolish the law but to fulfil it. For example the rules on sacrificing animals are fulfilled in His sacrificial death; so instead of sacrificing animals we now trust in the ultimate sacrifice. Everything in the OT is either fulfilled and now taken up into the person of Christ, or fulfilled and then re-issued through Christ. Fulfilled is not abolished. Standard Christian theology.

Matthew 5:18 : "For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished."

EVERYTHING is not "accomplished" So whether this idiot thinks it's "standard Christian theology" or not, (which BTW does not exist, as they all have their own take on everything), Jebus said something else, and he's a heretic. Heaven and earth have not disappeared. Thus the law remains in place. Paul said that women must be silent "according to the law". He also thought the law remained in place.

This fool thinks the way to make friends is to accuse people (with no evidence) of being the cause for the rise of Islam in Britain.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
27-08-2014, 03:04 PM
(27-08-2014 02:38 PM)ChristianMan Wrote:  
(27-08-2014 01:49 PM)wazzel Wrote:  Are you comfortable and numb yet?

I am, lol! Going to retire for the night. It's been an interesting time. Hard to have any meaningful discussion with anyone though when I'm talking to about 15 people at the same time. The saddest things I read on here were actually from a professing christian, not from an atheist. That was a surprise. Thanks for the exchanges.

Next time, try challenging someone to a boxing match in our boxing arena.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
27-08-2014, 03:08 PM
(27-08-2014 02:50 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  You're not unique. We've seen dozens of your kind here. Maybe you should actually follow the Bible and live with love for all people and ignore their sin as Christ does.

That does seem the better option, short of droppin the whole Bible'n sin routine wholesale...

Wink

... this is my signature!