The cost of atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2014, 07:59 AM
RE: The cost of atheism
If Christianity were to go to the leading edge of morality and ethics it wouldn't be Christianity any more Phil...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2014, 07:59 AM
(27-08-2014 07:57 AM)phil.a Wrote:  ChristianMan:

And by the way - instead of trying to scare people into Christianity with threats of Islam, why not consider attracting them to Christianity by dragging your church out of the dark ages?

Why not actually take your church to the leading edge of ethics and morality rather than having it dragging along behind the rest of society holding back ethical advancement?

Just a thought ;-)

Phl

Because in doing so the Church itself is stripped of Christian values.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
27-08-2014, 08:00 AM
(27-08-2014 07:48 AM)ChristianMan Wrote:  Thanks for the respectful interaction chaps, always a pleasure.

Thank you for your own rudeness coming onto a website you do not own then expecting us to obey you.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-08-2014, 08:01 AM

And by the way - instead of trying to scare people into Christianity with threats of Islam, why not consider attracting them to Christianity by dragging your church out of the dark ages?

Why not actually take your church to the leading edge of ethics and morality rather than having it dragging along behind the rest of society holding back ethical advancement?

Just a thought ;-)

Phl

That'd be one of the problems with basing your church solely off a book written two thousand years ago. You either drop the book and lose the religion, or drag slowly behind society, losing parts of the book along the way anyway.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
27-08-2014, 08:04 AM

And by the way - instead of trying to scare people into Christianity with threats of Islam, why not consider attracting them to Christianity by dragging your church out of the dark ages and making it stand for something worthwhile?

Just a thought ;-)

Phl

Hi

I am not foolish enough to come to an atheist website and try and 'scare' people into christianity. Not that I would try and scare anyone into Christianity. I was just pointing out, what I think, is obvious. One poster hear understands something about Islam, I don't think the rest do. Western Governments certainly do not.

I'm not sure what you mean about taking the church to the leading edge on ethics and morality? Is it reference to same sex marriage? Im not sure what you mean.
Why would one who has removed themselves from religion go back? There are too many fallacies and contradictions that have no credibility other than "have faith" of which we know you have to have "belief" in something supernatural? I like to play in the fantasy world sometimes, it's fun there, but coming down to reality, I like to know how things work and so do many of other people. I can not see where the path away from religion towards logic and reason would lead you back.

Secularism is on the rise, the fall away from religion is growing in numbers for many reasons. The ability to access information at our fingertips has been and will continue to be a part of finding answers through fact rather than spoon fed faith. Me personally, I think going to church is a cop out on life, you would rather be blindly led by someone who chooses what you should hear and what you should believe rather than do the work yourself and filter through what doesn't belong. Square peg, round hole, doesn't work unless forced and that's what I get from religions, fear and guilt dressed up as favor and grace.

Believe in truth, believe in facts, believe in the goodness of people without the need of scriptures written during a time in which we do not live. Are we not smarter than our distant relatives? I begin to wonder as too many hold ancient writings that have and are still being interpreted to this day due to original misinterpretation.

In any case, welcome to the forum Smile

I tend to ask random questions, sometime stupid ones, but I can almost guarantee I'm smarter for asking than not.
I'm an atheist, but I still fear the death of god, for a valueless society will start to look everywhere for values, and I worry about what these values might be.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
27-08-2014, 08:05 AM
(27-08-2014 08:04 AM)ChristianMan Wrote:  

And by the way - instead of trying to scare people into Christianity with threats of Islam, why not consider attracting them to Christianity by dragging your church out of the dark ages and making it stand for something worthwhile?

Just a thought ;-)

Phl

Hi

I am not foolish enough to come to an atheist website and try and 'scare' people into christianity. Not that I would try and scare anyone into Christianity. I was just pointing out, what I think, is obvious. One poster hear understands something about Islam, I don't think the rest do. Western Governments certainly do not.

I'm not sure what you mean about taking the church to the leading edge on ethics and morality? Is it reference to same sex marriage? Im not sure what you mean.
What is it that you think we have missed about Islam that you understand - I am curious to know...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 1 user Likes CiderThinker's post
27-08-2014, 08:08 AM
(27-08-2014 08:00 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(27-08-2014 07:48 AM)ChristianMan Wrote:  Thanks for the respectful interaction chaps, always a pleasure.

Thank you for your own rudeness coming onto a website you do not own then expecting us to obey you.

Wait. What?

Where did that come from? I didn't pick up that attitude in any of his posts. Perhaps I missed it?
[+] 3 users Like TheBear's post
27-08-2014, 08:08 AM
(27-08-2014 08:04 AM)Res Publica Wrote:  I'm an atheist, but I still fear the death of god, for a valueless society will start to look everywhere for values, and I worry about what these values might be.

I understand and appreciate your position. I think some people produce more heat than light, and in the frenzy of a cause fail to see clearly.
[+] 1 user Likes ChristianMan's post