The cost of atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2014, 08:12 AM
RE: The cost of atheism
Christian,
Is your point, "Better the devil that you know than the one that you don't"?

If Islam is taking over the UK, then it's because a) it's a better religion than Christianity b) It's a better meme than Christianity or c) The Muslims procreate faster than the Christians.

Islam is roughly 600 years behind Christianity in terms of maturity. You may be right. Perhaps the UK and the rest of the world will go through another Dark Age before a second Enlightenment leads us back to reason. Its possible that we will face this cycle many times before a) we blow ourselves up or b) we grow up.

In the meantime, brush up on your Arabic and wear loose fitting collars.

Doc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like docskeptic's post
27-08-2014, 08:16 AM
Hi Frank, welcome to the forum.
I think religions decline will speed up in the next generation, mostly because while people are now quitting their various faiths, they won't be indoctrinating their future children into religions across the board.
It's really just a matter of time.
27-08-2014, 08:17 AM
(27-08-2014 08:08 AM)ChristianMan Wrote:  
(27-08-2014 08:04 AM)Res Publica Wrote:  I'm an atheist, but I still fear the death of god, for a valueless society will start to look everywhere for values, and I worry about what these values might be.

I understand and appreciate your position. I think some people produce more heat than light, and in the frenzy of a cause fail to see clearly.

See what clearly? Allah, Yahweh, Vishnu, Thor? But fortunately for us after 200,000 years of human evolution, and lots of dead religions you rightfully reject, and all the other religions on planet of 7 billion, magically you got it right.

We don't read a book containing absurd claims like men magically popping out of dirt, or talking snakes, or babies born without a second set of DNA. You are the one with the invisible sky hero, not us.

We really do not care about your self serving circular reasoning because all religions quote their books to prove their deities. Just like being at the DMV, get in line and take a number.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-08-2014, 08:18 AM
(27-08-2014 08:00 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(27-08-2014 07:48 AM)ChristianMan Wrote:  Thanks for the respectful interaction chaps, always a pleasure.

Thank you for your own rudeness coming onto a website you do not own then expecting us to obey you.

Brian, chill out!

Where have I even given a command, or asked you to obey me. I even said that I have no suggestions, I'm just pointing out what, to me, is obvious. Have I been rude, offensive, argumentative even?

For people who believe they take the intellectual high ground, overcoming faith and emotion with reason and logic, you seem... well, something else.

hmm, I wonder why atheists are considered untrustworthy and immoral? I wonder what conclusion someone reading this thread would come to.
27-08-2014, 08:20 AM
(27-08-2014 08:18 AM)ChristianMan Wrote:  hmm, I wonder why atheists are considered untrustworthy and immoral? I wonder what conclusion someone reading this thread would come to.
Thank you for showing us your true colours. Not that we couldn't see them already.
27-08-2014, 08:20 AM
(27-08-2014 08:12 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Christian,
Is your point, "Better the devil that you know than the one that you don't"?

If Islam is taking over the UK, then it's because a) it's a better religion than Christianity b) It's a better meme than Christianity or c) The Muslims procreate faster than the Christians.

Islam is roughly 600 years behind Christianity in terms of maturity. You may be right. Perhaps the UK and the rest of the world will go through another Dark Age before a second Enlightenment leads us back to reason. Its possible that we will face this cycle many times before a) we blow ourselves up or b) we grow up.

In the meantime, brush up on your Arabic and wear loose fitting collars.

Doc

That did make me laugh, thanks.
27-08-2014, 08:21 AM
(27-08-2014 08:04 AM)Res Publica Wrote:  I'm an atheist, but I still fear the death of god, for a valueless society will start to look everywhere for values, and I worry about what these values might be.

That is odd. Most religious people reject lots of the "values" their religion historically held. Look back at the old testament and see how much of those values have been tossed by modern Christians and Jews. Most people, religious or not, live by the golden rule. Not much more is needed.
27-08-2014, 08:21 AM
(27-08-2014 08:20 AM)DunkleSeele Wrote:  
(27-08-2014 08:18 AM)ChristianMan Wrote:  hmm, I wonder why atheists are considered untrustworthy and immoral? I wonder what conclusion someone reading this thread would come to.
Thank you for showing us your true colours. Not that we couldn't see them already.

True colours? Please read all the posts here. Are you serious?
27-08-2014, 08:24 AM
Quote:I wonder what conclusion someone reading this thread would come to.

I conclude you've come here claiming you don't want to start a fight, then proceeded to try to start one.
27-08-2014, 08:28 AM
(27-08-2014 08:21 AM)wazzel Wrote:  

That is odd. Most religious people reject lots of the "values" their religion historically held. Look back at the old testament and see how much of those values have been tossed by modern Christians and Jews. Most people, religious or not, live by the golden rule. Not much more is needed.

I'm trying so hard not to be drawn. The problem I have come across with atheists is that they want to quote OT texts and say christians have abandoned / changed their minds on them etc. I understand that when your fighting a cause its easy to make blanket statements without seeing how christians understand how their own tests work. The Bible interprets itself, it tells us what is abidingly valid and what was fulfilled at the coming of Christ etc. Let me give a brief example. In the OT the Sabbath was on a Sunday and work was forbidden. In the New Covenant, Christ fulfils what the Sabbath was pointing to ---- resting from dead works -----. and so we keep the Sabbath by trusting in Jesus.

On the other hand we maintain homosexual practice is wrong because it is outlawed in the OT, and the re-outlawed in the New Testament. (outlawed personally not civically).

**** I'm not trying to change anyone's mind about atheism, I think thats pointless. Just correcting inaccuracies******