The cover-up

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2017, 10:28 AM
RE: The cover-up
(25-05-2017 10:42 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(25-05-2017 02:07 PM)pablo Wrote:  Thanks for the sweeping generalization, but not all of us "'muricans" are Trump voting, redneck, dumb-asses.

Was Mordant's post referring to all Russians in a sweeping generalisation or just the Russian oligarchy / Military Industrial Complex? The latter, I think.

If you also assumed the latter, why make the assumption that the edited version referred to all Americans?

Tongue

In the same vein, you'd need to challenge Mordant's post by stating that not all Russians support Putin ... which, I think, is obvious.

Wink

I was more or less trying to make a point that I'm tired of being called an idiot around here because of our idiot president and the people who voted for him.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
26-05-2017, 10:36 AM
(26-05-2017 10:28 AM)pablo Wrote:  
(25-05-2017 10:42 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Was Mordant's post referring to all Russians in a sweeping generalisation or just the Russian oligarchy / Military Industrial Complex? The latter, I think.

If you also assumed the latter, why make the assumption that the edited version referred to all Americans?

Tongue

In the same vein, you'd need to challenge Mordant's post by stating that not all Russians support Putin ... which, I think, is obvious.

Wink

I was more or less trying to make a point that I'm tired of being called an idiot around here because of our idiot president and the people who voted for him.

Fair enough... but you won't hear that from me.

Cool

Well, except in jest, of course.

Blush

26-05-2017, 10:37 AM
(25-05-2017 10:42 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Was Mordant's post referring to all Russians in a sweeping generalisation or just the Russian oligarchy / Military Industrial Complex? The latter, I think.

Tongue

Wink

You and me both.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
26-05-2017, 12:22 PM
(26-05-2017 10:37 AM)julep Wrote:  
(26-05-2017 10:28 AM)pablo Wrote:  I was more or less trying to make a point that I'm tired of being called an idiot around here because of our idiot president and the people who voted for him.

You and me both.

It certainly doesn't help the resistance... it's demoralizing. Trumpers are a vocal, armed, crazy minority. They are going to be incredibly difficult to deal with.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
26-05-2017, 12:46 PM
(25-05-2017 12:39 PM)mordant Wrote:  A philosophical question: which, objectively speaking, is the greater threat to America: ISIS or Russia?

Russia. ISIS and other terrorist groups seem more like a convenient enemy allowing gov to tighten regulations in name of security.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 5 users Like Szuchow's post
26-05-2017, 03:32 PM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2017 03:36 PM by mordant.)
(25-05-2017 01:52 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Aww shucks, you beat me to it. I was going to rewrite Mordant's post correcting for bias.

What the hell, I'll do it anyway.
I am not laboring under the misapprehension that America is pure as the driven snow, but I was addressing the relative threat of two specific actors TO America.

Assuming for the sake of argument that America is at least as bad an actor on the world stage as Russia ... does that somehow make what Russia has done okay? Does it somehow make them less of a threat? Does it change my assessment of the relative existential threat of the two actors I was actually discussing?

I get really tired of the spreading habit of using "well, they/he/she did it too/first" types of arguments. They are almost always irrelevant. In this case, my point stands quite apart from whether America represents a threat to Russia, ISIL, or itself. The only relevance is the extent to which our lack of moral leadership might enable or embolden other bad actors.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
26-05-2017, 03:51 PM

Tongue

Wink

It's not that different from the theists (and some others) who show up here and think that all atheists are of one mind.

Now it seems to be acceptable for remarks to be made about how we Americans are all like tRump and his cronies.

We get grief about caring about our country from people who want to point out that their country is so obviously superior.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post