The craziest / weirdest food you had.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2016, 12:50 PM
RE: The craziest / weirdest food you had.
I would say ostrich (long time ago).
Snails when I was a kid and didn't have a word to say (I hated that, I found that disgusting).
I also get served frog legs a few years ago, but I really couldn't eat them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2016, 08:46 PM
Abalone. It had the texture of a thick garden hose.

I've eaten cabeza in tacos, and it's not terrible that way. The texture is weird enough I don't think I could stand to eat it by itself. After all my pathology training, though, I now strongly oppose eating nervous tissue. Its just dumb, guys.

I've eaten tongue, both pickled in Basque dishes and as lingua on tacos. Not bad, the texture didn't freak me out like I expected it to.

I've had alligator and Rocky Mountain oysters. They're both pretty tasty.

Yeah, abalone. Nothing creeps me out like weird sea creatures.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
05-12-2016, 06:30 PM
(04-12-2016 08:46 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  After all my pathology training, though, I now strongly oppose eating nervous tissue. Its just dumb, guys.

Blink Blink

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
05-12-2016, 07:10 PM
(05-12-2016 06:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-12-2016 08:46 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  After all my pathology training, though, I now strongly oppose eating nervous tissue. Its just dumb, guys.

Blink Blink

It twitches like live Gagh. Tongue
12-12-2016, 06:22 PM
(05-12-2016 06:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Blink Blink

Is that a blink of confusion or disagreement? lol

Also, is there some way to subscribe to threads? It seems a full time job to try to keep up with posts I've commented on. Undecided

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
13-12-2016, 12:39 AM
(04-12-2016 08:46 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  Abalone. It had the texture of a thick garden hose.

I've eaten cabeza in tacos, and it's not terrible that way. The texture is weird enough I don't think I could stand to eat it by itself. After all my pathology training, though, I now strongly oppose eating nervous tissue. Its just dumb, guys.

I've eaten tongue, both pickled in Basque dishes and as lingua on tacos. Not bad, the texture didn't freak me out like I expected it to.

If Abalone was like a thick garden hose it wasn't prepared properly. It should be smooth and tender.

My favorite worst food is beets, yep, I hate the flavor. I can chew beets until they are gray but am unable to swallow them, somehow they block my swallow mechanism. Shocking Gasp Exclamation

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself
13-12-2016, 09:57 AM
(13-12-2016 12:39 AM)Ro3bert Wrote:  If Abalone was like a thick garden hose it wasn't prepared properly. It should be smooth and tender.

My favorite worst food is beets, yep, I hate the flavor. I can chew beets until they are gray but am unable to swallow them, somehow they block my swallow mechanism. Shocking Gasp Exclamation

I've heard that from other people, and it's probably true just because it's so rare that most chefs would never get the opportunity to be very experienced at preparing it. But between the first initial bad experience and the price tag, I'm okay with just writing it off as gross. Got a cool shell, though. Rolleyes

13-12-2016, 12:44 PM
Rabbit

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
13-12-2016, 12:58 PM
(04-12-2016 08:46 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  Abalone. It had the texture of a thick garden hose.

I don't think you can get abalone anymore - it's protected now. I love abalone!!! And the shells are gorgeous too. And if done right it almost melts on your tongue - like scallops.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
13-12-2016, 01:38 PM
(13-12-2016 12:58 PM)Dom Wrote:  I don't think you can get abalone anymore - it's protected now. I love abalone!!! And the shells are gorgeous too. And if done right it almost melts on your tongue - like scallops.

This was only about a year ago so I'm pretty sure it's still a thing, but from what the waiter told us there's limits on how many can be caught and when they can do it. They only let them catch them a few days a year and the permits are expensive.