The cross at Ground Zero

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2014, 02:05 PM
The cross at Ground Zero
I think I side with the theists on this one. Not that I believe the cross at Ground Zero means anything in the religious sense, but I do think it's a piece of history, and there's no denying that people took some measure of comfort in finding this symbol in the wreckage of the World Trade Center.

Anyone else think atheists are overreaching on this one?

http://www.today.com/news/world-trade-ce...2D79328902
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TwoCultSurvivor's post
10-03-2014, 02:06 PM
RE: The cross at Ground Zero
Let them have it.
10-03-2014, 02:08 PM
It doesn't bother me, but it has zero weight with me, too. If the steel girders made the Star of David or some other impossible shape then I would be like, cool, but a cross happens every time two straight lines fall to the ground.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
10-03-2014, 02:14 PM
Xtians babbling as usual about their 'faith' should keep in mind that allah clearly won the battle that day.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
10-03-2014, 02:39 PM
(10-03-2014 02:05 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  I think I side with the theists on this one. Not that I believe the cross at Ground Zero means anything in the religious sense, but I do think it's a piece of history, and there's no denying that people took some measure of comfort in finding this symbol in the wreckage of the World Trade Center.

I would say they have to atleast admit that the building was designed with hundreds of perpendicular girders and the probability of you finding a cross shaped like that is about 99% in any circumstance.
The design was already in the building and there are hundreds of them in the supports of the building.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
10-03-2014, 02:52 PM
(10-03-2014 02:05 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  I think I side with the theists on this one. Not that I believe the cross at Ground Zero means anything in the religious sense, but I do think it's a piece of history, and there's no denying that people took some measure of comfort in finding this symbol in the wreckage of the World Trade Center.

Doesnt bother me personally, but funny how "god", yet again, stood idly by while great evil happened.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
10-03-2014, 02:57 PM
The cross at Ground Zero
And then added his signature to it.

You know, for all the GodDidIt talk, you'd think this would be clear evidence that Jesus blew up the WTC, and wanted everyone to know.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 2 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
10-03-2014, 03:05 PM
I'd rather it stay out. "Oh my gosh, this vague symbol of my god showed up after thousands of innocent people died horribly and said god did jack to help them! Let's make a big deal out of it!" The sheer lack of logic it stands for shouldn't be preserved.

Though, I would be all for it if it was included with an extremely backhanded description. "A piece of metal hyped up by idiots who cannot look at the big picture."
10-03-2014, 03:11 PM
The cross at Ground Zero
I just don't understand the symbolism. A horrible tragedy like this one deserves more thought than "Welp, all part of God's Plan" comfort, especially one caused by religion.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
10-03-2014, 03:12 PM
Given the circumstances that surround it, if it brings some comfort or peace to survivors or victims families then let it be.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post