The cross at Ground Zero

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2014, 11:09 PM
RE: The cross at Ground Zero
(10-03-2014 02:39 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 02:05 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  I think I side with the theists on this one. Not that I believe the cross at Ground Zero means anything in the religious sense, but I do think it's a piece of history, and there's no denying that people took some measure of comfort in finding this symbol in the wreckage of the World Trade Center.

Anyone else think atheists are overreaching on this one?

http://www.today.com/news/world-trade-ce...2D79328902
I would say they have to atleast admit that the building was designed with hundreds of perpendicular girders and the probability of you finding a cross shaped like that is about 99% in any circumstance.
The design was already in the building and there are hundreds of them in the supports of the building.

Pleaase reaaad this.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
10-03-2014, 11:17 PM
If it's used as a reminder of how their "god" failed them, in favor of a different more powerful "god", then yeah, sure...put it up.

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
10-03-2014, 11:36 PM
(10-03-2014 11:17 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  If it's used as a reminder of how their "god" failed them, in favor of a different more powerful "god", then yeah, sure...put it up.

Just like Jesus's cross, a reminder of Christianity's inability to supernaturally save life.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
11-03-2014, 06:12 AM
It doesn't bother me hugely, but I find any fascination over it to be bizarre. If someone looks at it and thinks "what a neat coincidence that a building composed of intersecting straight beams meeting at 90 degree angles would leave a cross in the wreckage", I'll think they're inane, but harmless.

If they think "What a wonderful sign from God.", I'll think they're stupid. If that's the case, their god certainly came a long way from granting decisive military victories against the infidels to letting 3,000 die in an attack from the infidels and sparing a cross-shaped piece of wreckage as... a reminder?
11-03-2014, 10:58 AM
(10-03-2014 04:46 PM)cufflink Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 03:33 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  To me, it comes down to that one question: is government, by displaying that cross, endorsing a religion? I think the clear answer is no. The government is acknowledging that, at that dark moment in our history, the people of New York (and the USA) found inspiration in that particular piece of wreckage, for religious reasons.

I agree. This is not the Ten Commandments in front of a courthouse. It's history. Let it go.

Just one correction:

"The government is acknowledging that, at that dark moment in our history, the some people of New York (and the USA) found inspiration in that particular piece of wreckage, for religious reasons."

I stand corrected, and gratifyingly so.