The cure for cancer is: get AIDS!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2012, 07:09 AM
RE: The cure for cancer is: get AIDS!
(25-12-2012 05:22 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  
(24-12-2012 09:06 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  All of these are life style, apart from a genetic weakness, which is not a cause but a compounding factor. I could have a genetic weakness to lung disease, but if I don't smoke I'm fine.

Not true. A healthy lifestyle only decreases the risk of cancer there is no guaranteed way to prevent it.

Got any proof of your claim?. I know this is difficult for you to grasp. Just because its your opinion does NOT make it fact. In your time here you have shown that they are two very different things.
Don't need to, I have a perfect BMI, eat raw vegan, perfect blood tests, don't smoke, don't drink and exercise frequently- I can't even remember the last time I had a simple illness, so it doesn't bother me enough to where I need to research it, since I'm doing everything right to begin with.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-12-2012, 07:20 AM
(25-12-2012 07:09 AM)FZUMedia Wrote:  
(25-12-2012 05:22 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Not true. A healthy lifestyle only decreases the risk of cancer there is no guaranteed way to prevent it.

Got any proof of your claim?. I know this is difficult for you to grasp. Just because its your opinion does NOT make it fact. In your time here you have shown that they are two very different things.
Don't need to, I have a perfect BMI, eat raw vegan, perfect blood tests, don't smoke, don't drink and exercise frequently- I can't even remember the last time I had a simple illness, so it doesn't bother me enough to where I need to research it, since I'm doing everything right to begin with.
Well, if that is you in your avatar picture, then I'd say you look rather poorly. Tongue

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 2 users Like frankiej's post
25-12-2012, 07:28 AM
(25-12-2012 07:20 AM)frankiej Wrote:  
(25-12-2012 07:09 AM)FZUMedia Wrote:  Don't need to, I have a perfect BMI, eat raw vegan, perfect blood tests, don't smoke, don't drink and exercise frequently- I can't even remember the last time I had a simple illness, so it doesn't bother me enough to where I need to research it, since I'm doing everything right to begin with.
Well, if that is you in your avatar picture, then I'd say you look rather poorly. Tongue
I don't consult people that reccomend "bacon butties" as often as I should.
25-12-2012, 07:30 AM
Well, that is probably what is wrong then, man. It is nice that I could be of help.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 3 users Like frankiej's post
25-12-2012, 09:15 AM
(24-12-2012 09:06 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  
(23-12-2012 04:05 PM)Vosur Wrote:  [Image: facepalm95.jpg]

The many causes of cancer
All of these are life style, apart from a genetic weakness, which is not a cause but a compounding factor. I could have a genetic weakness to lung disease, but if I don't smoke I'm fine.
No, there are many other natural factors that can lead to cancer. These risks are ever present as long as you are alive. It takes a few rogue cells to screw up your entire body, and within them are years and years of accumulation of mutations.

There are random mutations in our cells,
When DNA replication goes awry,
Now and then proteins fix them well,
But sometimes one of them get by.

The bright star in the sky we call the Sun,
Contains ultraviolet rays that damage our DNA,
Proteins fix them till there's none
But sometimes one of them gets away.

The very air we all inhale,
Contain oxygen that produces radicals,
Now and then antioxidants prevail,
But sometimes the system's fallible.

That rogue gene started this whole chain,
Cell cycles and gene expression go hay wire,
Proliferation and metastasis through the vein,
This goes on until the body expires.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
[+] 2 users Like robotworld's post
25-12-2012, 09:34 AM
You missed the point entirely. Eating right (I wouldn't call eating raw food right since our digestive system and teeth are better suited to deal with cooked food) and living a healthy lifestyle doesn't mean you will never get cancer. It just means a reduced risk. You can lower the chances of developing it but You are at as much a risk of developing cancer as the rest of us.

And I agree with frankie. Even if you can't remember feeling unwell you should still consult a dr, you do not look healthy in your avatar.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
25-12-2012, 10:15 AM
(25-12-2012 09:15 AM)robotworld Wrote:  
(24-12-2012 09:06 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  All of these are life style, apart from a genetic weakness, which is not a cause but a compounding factor. I could have a genetic weakness to lung disease, but if I don't smoke I'm fine.
No, there are many other natural factors that can lead to cancer. These risks are ever present as long as you are alive. It takes a few rogue cells to screw up your entire body, and within them are years and years of accumulation of mutations.

Some people may have Rogue cells, I have Paladin cells that shut down such infidels- as I said, I'm not worrying about that, since I don't even get the common cold in years let alone mutations. My cell crime rates are so low it's not even noticeable.
[+] 1 user Likes FZUMedia's post
25-12-2012, 11:21 AM
(25-12-2012 10:15 AM)FZUMedia Wrote:  
(25-12-2012 09:15 AM)robotworld Wrote:  No, there are many other natural factors that can lead to cancer. These risks are ever present as long as you are alive. It takes a few rogue cells to screw up your entire body, and within them are years and years of accumulation of mutations.

Some people may have Rogue cells, I have Paladin cells that shut down such infidels- as I said, I'm not worrying about that, since I don't even get the common cold in years let alone mutations. My cell crime rates are so low it's not even noticeable.
"Paladin cells" has got to be the most awesome thing I've heard today Big Grin

It's really great if you have a top notch immune system, armed with ever ready cells coupled with tons of other defense mechanisms. In an average human, cell "crime rates" are really, really low because we have proteins within these cells that can activate a "suicide" switch for the cells if they go rogue. Even if the cell goes rogue, there are other cells that can eat up such rogue cells. However, it takes just one cell that have accumulated mutations over the years and have evaded all the defense mechanism to lead to a major screw up, just like how just one virus is needed to hijack the nucleus of a cell to kill it, despite all the defense mechanisms inside and outside the cell.

Such mutations can be obtained as I mentioned just by being alive. Consider the amount of cells in our body, and the damage the cells receive every second just because we breathe/stay under the sun for a little too long/eat/drink. That's why the probability of having cancer increases as you grow older, accumulating mutations. It's very different from having a common cold, as some of these mutations are unfortunate side-effects of the processes required to even stay alive.

On the bright side, not all mutations are harmful. Quite a number of them are neutral and/or silent, not significantly affecting body functions. The harmful mutations however, are another story. Even a single base change can lead to disaster.

Even so, having a healthy lifestyle can indeed reduce your chances of having cancer Smile

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
[+] 1 user Likes robotworld's post
25-12-2012, 07:49 PM
(25-12-2012 11:21 AM)robotworld Wrote:  
(25-12-2012 10:15 AM)FZUMedia Wrote:  Some people may have Rogue cells, I have Paladin cells that shut down such infidels- as I said, I'm not worrying about that, since I don't even get the common cold in years let alone mutations. My cell crime rates are so low it's not even noticeable.
"Paladin cells" has got to be the most awesome thing I've heard today Big Grin

It's really great if you have a top notch immune system, armed with ever ready cells coupled with tons of other defense mechanisms. In an average human, cell "crime rates" are really, really low because we have proteins within these cells that can activate a "suicide" switch for the cells if they go rogue. Even if the cell goes rogue, there are other cells that can eat up such rogue cells. However, it takes just one cell that have accumulated mutations over the years and have evaded all the defense mechanism to lead to a major screw up, just like how just one virus is needed to hijack the nucleus of a cell to kill it, despite all the defense mechanisms inside and outside the cell.

Such mutations can be obtained as I mentioned just by being alive. Consider the amount of cells in our body, and the damage the cells receive every second just because we breathe/stay under the sun for a little too long/eat/drink. That's why the probability of having cancer increases as you grow older, accumulating mutations. It's very different from having a common cold, as some of these mutations are unfortunate side-effects of the processes required to even stay alive.

On the bright side, not all mutations are harmful. Quite a number of them are neutral and/or silent, not significantly affecting body functions. The harmful mutations however, are another story. Even a single base change can lead to disaster.

Even so, having a healthy lifestyle can indeed reduce your chances of having cancer Smile
Hmmm, taking into account everything said, what are the chances of getting cancerous mutations by pure chance? assuming you live a perfectly healthy lifestyle. I made up the statistic '99% of cancers are removed if you live healthily'.
25-12-2012, 08:15 PM (This post was last modified: 25-12-2012 08:28 PM by Janus.)
Wow! 'Paladin cells'. That's supercool!
I'm waiting for the 'Optimus Prime cells' myself.
And it looks like HIV could be it.

Right now curing cancer is more important for medical science than preventing it, since we don't really have a scientific clue, a.k.a. empirically backed consensus, how to stop the process from starting in the first place. Sofar we can only detect it, 'catch' it, when the process is already underway, and needs to be stopped in its tracks.
[+] 1 user Likes Janus's post