The cure for cancer is: get AIDS!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2012, 08:32 PM
RE: The cure for cancer is: get AIDS!
(25-12-2012 07:49 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  
(25-12-2012 11:21 AM)robotworld Wrote:  "Paladin cells" has got to be the most awesome thing I've heard today Big Grin

It's really great if you have a top notch immune system, armed with ever ready cells coupled with tons of other defense mechanisms. In an average human, cell "crime rates" are really, really low because we have proteins within these cells that can activate a "suicide" switch for the cells if they go rogue. Even if the cell goes rogue, there are other cells that can eat up such rogue cells. However, it takes just one cell that have accumulated mutations over the years and have evaded all the defense mechanism to lead to a major screw up, just like how just one virus is needed to hijack the nucleus of a cell to kill it, despite all the defense mechanisms inside and outside the cell.

Such mutations can be obtained as I mentioned just by being alive. Consider the amount of cells in our body, and the damage the cells receive every second just because we breathe/stay under the sun for a little too long/eat/drink. That's why the probability of having cancer increases as you grow older, accumulating mutations. It's very different from having a common cold, as some of these mutations are unfortunate side-effects of the processes required to even stay alive.

On the bright side, not all mutations are harmful. Quite a number of them are neutral and/or silent, not significantly affecting body functions. The harmful mutations however, are another story. Even a single base change can lead to disaster.

Even so, having a healthy lifestyle can indeed reduce your chances of having cancer Smile
Hmmm, taking into account everything said, what are the chances of getting cancerous mutations by pure chance? assuming you live a perfectly healthy lifestyle. I made up the statistic '99% of cancers are removed if you live healthily'.
Assuming you have a perfectly healthy lifestyle, and somehow your genetic combination contains the lowest risk for cancer, I'd say the probability is very low. There are a lot of factors contributing to each type of cancer, and each cancer differs vastly from one another. It's a very complex issue and it really depends on the individual. There are quite a few cancerous tumours that are obtained not due to lifestyle choices, but the combination of genes determined upon conception. For instance: Retinoblastoma, a form of eye tumour.

Here's a nice related comic from PHD comics.
[Image: phd042009s.gif]

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like robotworld's post
25-12-2012, 08:59 PM
(25-12-2012 08:32 PM)robotworld Wrote:  
(25-12-2012 07:49 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  Hmmm, taking into account everything said, what are the chances of getting cancerous mutations by pure chance? assuming you live a perfectly healthy lifestyle. I made up the statistic '99% of cancers are removed if you live healthily'.
Assuming you have a perfectly healthy lifestyle, and somehow your genetic combination contains the lowest risk for cancer, I'd say the probability is very low. There are a lot of factors contributing to each type of cancer, and each cancer differs vastly from one another. It's a very complex issue and it really depends on the individual. There are quite a few cancerous tumours that are obtained not due to lifestyle choices, but the combination of genes determined upon conception. For instance: Retinoblastoma, a form of eye tumour.

If my chances are 'very low' for some eye thing I have never heard about then I'm not worried about it. That's your spiel being a scientist (? I think??) This is my spiel from an entrepreneur;

Instead of having a donation model- why don't you invest that money into malaria shots that exist already (at a very cheap rate too) for people in poor countries, give them out- on the condition that they will do hard labour for you for x amount of time- That way you can get an initial investment which is saving people's lives anyway, and you are also getting more money back for potential reinvestment and you are producing products.
25-12-2012, 09:22 PM
(25-12-2012 07:09 AM)FZUMedia Wrote:  Don't need to, I have a perfect BMI, eat raw vegan, perfect blood tests, don't smoke, don't drink and exercise frequently- I can't even remember the last time I had a simple illness, so it doesn't bother me enough to where I need to research it, since I'm doing everything right to begin with.

You sound like the perfect subject for handling, "Okay dude, you got this here cancer." ... think your lifestyle had shit to do with it? ... think your lifestyle's gonna save you? ... you don't know shit, brother. ... Now Anjele, she knows some shit. ... you, not so much.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
25-12-2012, 09:37 PM
(25-12-2012 08:59 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  
(25-12-2012 08:32 PM)robotworld Wrote:  Assuming you have a perfectly healthy lifestyle, and somehow your genetic combination contains the lowest risk for cancer, I'd say the probability is very low. There are a lot of factors contributing to each type of cancer, and each cancer differs vastly from one another. It's a very complex issue and it really depends on the individual. There are quite a few cancerous tumours that are obtained not due to lifestyle choices, but the combination of genes determined upon conception. For instance: Retinoblastoma, a form of eye tumour.

If my chances are 'very low' for some eye thing I have never heard about then I'm not worried about it. That's your spiel being a scientist (? I think??) This is my spiel from an entrepreneur;

Instead of having a donation model- why don't you invest that money into malaria shots that exist already (at a very cheap rate too) for people in poor countries, give them out- on the condition that they will do hard labour for you for x amount of time- That way you can get an initial investment which is saving people's lives anyway, and you are also getting more money back for potential reinvestment and you are producing products.
Yes, it's not a normal cause of concern, but the risks are still there. Our job is to help detect and prevent them before it's too late.

I guess we do different things Smile Scientific research is like trying to piece together a puzzle, only you do not know what the complete picture is like, and the puzzle pieces are scattered everywhere. It's not for the money for most of us, more of a passion.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
[+] 1 user Likes robotworld's post
25-12-2012, 10:26 PM (This post was last modified: 25-12-2012 10:30 PM by FZUMedia.)
(25-12-2012 09:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(25-12-2012 07:09 AM)FZUMedia Wrote:  Don't need to, I have a perfect BMI, eat raw vegan, perfect blood tests, don't smoke, don't drink and exercise frequently- I can't even remember the last time I had a simple illness, so it doesn't bother me enough to where I need to research it, since I'm doing everything right to begin with.

You sound like the perfect subject for handling, "Okay dude, you got this here cancer." ... think your lifestyle had shit to do with it? ... think your lifestyle's gonna save you? ... you don't know shit, brother. ... Now Anjele, she knows some shit. ... you, not so much.
I'm looking to learn, don't take everything I say as fact- I don't know anything about cancer, other than lifestyle play a large role in the deciding factor. That's all i've said- if you want to educate me, go ahead- but don't but a little bitch about it.
25-12-2012, 10:30 PM
(25-12-2012 09:37 PM)robotworld Wrote:  
(25-12-2012 08:59 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  If my chances are 'very low' for some eye thing I have never heard about then I'm not worried about it. That's your spiel being a scientist (? I think??) This is my spiel from an entrepreneur;

Yes, it's not a normal cause of concern, but the risks are still there. Our job is to help detect and prevent them before it's too late.

I guess we do different things Smile Scientific research is like trying to piece together a puzzle, only you do not know what the complete picture is like, and the puzzle pieces are scattered everywhere. It's not for the money for most of us, more of a passion.
Yeah, I think so too- it seems that this world is carried on the backs of those that are truly brilliant, there's like very few people that are just functioning on a higher frequency, like people that invented the internet, computers or medicine etc- if someone gave me a computer chip and told me to 'put information on here' I wouldn't know where to start... wtf is a computer chip anyway?- I'm a commoner, I just move stuff around and shake things up.
25-12-2012, 10:56 PM
So find me some info...real, scientific facts FZU.

2009...me...diagnosed with breast cancer. Typical thought process...genetic. After the ripping off of both breasts, damaging of the nerves in both shoulders that affected shoulders, arms, and hands as well as being 3 units low on blood and the two surgeries in 5 months completely fucking up my thyroid; I had genetic testing done, at quite a hefty price. Result...NOT GENETIC, no genetic markers...none, nada.

Before you race off to a hormonal causation...let me throw this out there...pathology identified the cancer as Triple Negative Breast Cancer...which means it is/was NOT hormone fed.

So...what the fuck did I do to cause it? Obviously it was not the use of birth control pills when I was young nor was it hormones in my fucking food...NOT hormone based.

Tell me...prove your point...if you fucking have one beyond spewing assumptions that don't mean shit.

Please, prove you are a complete fucking twit that is only here because you are some mutant that just wants to shoot it's mouth off.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
25-12-2012, 11:15 PM
FZU - Nice neg rep you mouth-breather...I am potentially violent...you are one deluded motherfucker.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
25-12-2012, 11:19 PM (This post was last modified: 25-12-2012 11:23 PM by FZUMedia.)
(25-12-2012 10:56 PM)Anjele Wrote:  So find me some info...real, scientific facts FZU.

2009...me...diagnosed with breast cancer. Typical thought process...genetic. After the ripping off of both breasts, damaging of the nerves in both shoulders that affected shoulders, arms, and hands as well as being 3 units low on blood and the two surgeries in 5 months completely fucking up my thyroid; I had genetic testing done, at quite a hefty price. Result...NOT GENETIC, no genetic markers...none, nada.

Before you race off to a hormonal causation...let me throw this out there...pathology identified the cancer as Triple Negative Breast Cancer...which means it is/was NOT hormone fed.

So...what the fuck did I do to cause it? Obviously it was not the use of birth control pills when I was young nor was it hormones in my fucking food...NOT hormone based.

Tell me...prove your point...if you fucking have one beyond spewing assumptions that don't mean shit.

Please, prove you are a complete fucking twit that is only here because you are some mutant that just wants to shoot it's mouth off.
I think you are liying.

Liars will often give more description and detail than what is necessary to 'over prove' what they are saying as correct. One example is someone being asked 'where were you last night?' if they respond 'I was at a party, there was lots of people there and it played my favourite artist' you know they are liying, if they say 'I was at a party' they are likely telling the truth. The fact you gave me so much unecessary detail kind of falls suit. And in your case, someone that was actually a victim of cancer, wouldn't be going crazy on some random person on the internet because he/she doesn't know much about it.

Did you research cancer before making your fake story? I believe this is called M√ľnchhausen syndrome, when people lie to achieve sympathy. You need to go therapy, not insult me for asking valid questions.

You are shameful.
25-12-2012, 11:33 PM
Well, based on your obviously perfect observations that I didn't really have breast cancer at all, I think I can plan on retiring with a damn nice bank account. I need a good malpractice lawyer...so many doctors and hospitals to sue.

[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post