The current generation and films

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2012, 05:06 PM
The current generation and films
In my English III class, we were studying Gothic literature, and the students teacher decides to let us watch Psycho. Now I don't have to explain why this film is amazing, but I guess I have to explain to my class. Everyone except me, my teacher, and the student loves this film. Everyone else hated it and thought is was stupid, and doesn't explain why. I don't get how you can hate something and not even justify it. To me, it seems like kids in my age group don't know about classics from yesteryear. They seemed to be the cliche, brain dead, Michael Bay audience.

Do you think kids nowadays don't appreciate classic film and hate it because it wasn't made after they were born, or do they simply not know about these kinds of films?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2012, 05:59 PM
RE: The current generation and films
How is it possible to hate psycho? I've never met anyone who said they hated it, blows my mind!!!!

I think that it's hard to go against what you are taught. The majority of movies being made aren't made for people with quality attention spans, or interest in a lot of chatter. Some are, but most popular films are made for those with short attentions and an affinity for exploding boobies. I don't mind because those movies are fun too and it usually means I can find actually good movies easier due to a vast difference in type.

Movies yay! What was the question?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
29-05-2012, 05:15 AM
I haven't seen psycho, yet, but I keep hearing that it is good.
Apart from that I can only assume that kids nowadays see a lot of stuff that is much more direct, they don't want to think in a movie, they want it all well presented on a plate. With some boom, some excitement, some love, pretty people and cars. That's it.
Older films worked different, the whole industry changed.

Although, sorry to say, I don't like to watch the movies from the black-white era. But that has the reason that the sound quality was very bad and actually does hurt my ears no matter how much I turn it down. It is not the volume, it is the frequency...
Sadly, because I would like to watch some, but I can't enjoy it when it hurts to hear it.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
29-05-2012, 07:15 AM
Seems to me that a good psychological thriller has to build a little slowly with hints and foreshadowing along the way. The viewer needs to notice and remember small details that come back into play later. Things should be implied, it's not as thrilling when everything is spelled out and shown.

It seems that there are a lot of movies now where the action starts at the beginning, there's a lot of quick shots and it's always loud and in your face. I want to jump because something unexpected happens not because the sound is jarring my fillings.

The ADD method of film-making where everything seems frantic just doesn't do it for me but it's the way people have gotten used to seeing movies and TV. From Sesame Street to video games, everything moves at such a fast pace and that's what people are used to now.

I seldom go to a movie theater any more, the sound is so damn loud that my ears ring like I have just left a concert. And it ticks me off that the soundtrack and other noises often overwhelm the conversation which seems to always be too low. It's like everything is shot as though it's an action-adventure movie. Dialogue gets swallowed up.

No ones seems to want to wait for a story to unfold.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
02-06-2012, 01:07 PM
I wonder how would they like Duel.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067023/

I found it to be brilliant.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
02-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Made for TV too. I love that movie. Good choice Filox. I think it was adapted from a Matheson short story. I don't remember, but I do know that it is tense and thoroughly enjoyable.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
02-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Hated Duel and about anything else with Dennis Weaver in hit.
But I pretty much hate all movies with the road duel or hitchhiker type themes. Unless its Hitchhikers Guide or has Mel Gibson in it.

Psycho, however, still scares me.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
03-06-2012, 06:13 AM
Son, the generation after mine, this generation, its not that they don't appreciate old films (even though they don't) its that they don't appreciate anything that is the same rinse and repeat shit spoon fed to kids these days.
All you have to do is look at cartoons and compare todays to 10-20years ago.
Its dumbed down.
When I was growing up we had good cartoons.
[Image: 90s-nickelodeon-cartoon-characters.jpg]

They were funny, the jokes were witty and good, the characters awesome.
It wasn't about the good guy always beating the bad guy like every single cartoon these days.
They were more... grown up. More like sitcoms. The jokes came from character personality clashes. ie: Pinky and the Brain, that was a great cartoon, you have a short big headed mouse hell bent on world domination and a skinny dumb as hell mouse who kepts foiling his plans. Its great. But now you have some shitty 10year old boy fighting badguys.
Its gone from thinking, whitty, cleaver, to mindless action rinse and repeat spew.

This sums up all of "this generation". They're spoiled, they're bratty and they have concept of real world concepts or problems. When I was their age I was reading the newspaper and informing my parents on who they should vote for and why (though I was a weird child). Now kids just sit on the facebook concerned to hell about what XXX did last night or who YYY kissed the other day. GASP! scandal!! Gossip, entertainment tonight, celebrities, Snow Loves CoCo, all this mindless bullshit children are been subjected to these days is fucking their brains!

But don't listen to me, I'm just a rambling old man (21 in 17days) who hates children.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
04-06-2012, 12:53 AM
I'm 30 and I think exactly like earmuffs, back then, even before the great Cow and Chicken, Piny&TheBrain, we had other, even better cartoons, like Tom and Jerry, Roadrunner, The Blue Racer (remember that one?), Poncho and Toro...

But no, Pokemon, that is what we give our kids today, "I call you Shitachu! Now shit on my intellect with flashy colours that can give me epilepsy!" Oh the tragedy...

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5HQUBbdFIVD99gX1DZv_...a9c5_4i78Q]

P.S.

Oh God, Ren and Stimpy anyone? Jesus Christ!

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
04-06-2012, 04:18 AM

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]