The curse

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2014, 09:32 AM
The curse
A 14 year old girl, face covered in tears, hiding behind the armoire outside the kitchen door, waiting for her dad to exit so she can talk to mom. Finally he leaves and she storms in. "Mom", she says, "mom, I am dying"! Her mother stares at her, then slowly a smile appears, and she says: "oh, oh, are you bleeding"? The girl nods, her underwear all bloody, she can feel blood trickling between her legs, "mom, all my blood is spilling out the bottom...". Her mom hands her a bunch of clean rags. " Don't let your dad or any other man ever see this", Mom says. "It's our curse. It happens to all women once a month. It is how god reminds us not to ever get close to any man, ever, except the one who will marry us. And even to him, never mention it and never let him see a trace of it. You are now a woman, and you have to act differently around the boys. Shun them, avoid them, do not befriend them, ever. God made you unclean, filthy and in pain for a week out of every month to remind you how evil your body is. Now, go wash up, you can take some of the hot water in the kettle. Put some of the rags there, check them often and change them out all the time. Wash them instantly so you can reuse them, and never let anyone see, not even your younger sisters".

Fast forward, the girl is all grown up and has a 5 year old daughter. The family is spending the summer holidays at the beach, mom, dad, the little girl and her older brother. One day mom refuses to go swimming, everyone heads for the water and she stays back. After this happens a few times, the little girl starts nagging mom to come swim with them. Mom just keeps saying she is not feeling well. Next day, a repeat. Mom and dad exchange a long look, mom sighs and tells the little girl they were going for a walk, just the two of them. Mom proceeds to tell the little girl about the curse: " Baby, this won't happen to you for a very long time yet. But once you are old enough to have children of your own, every month you will lose a little blood and during that time it's not a good idea to go swimming." "Oh yes", the little girl says, "the sharks will know you are there". "That's right baby. If you ever have any questions you'll ask, right? " "Ok, mom".

When the little girl is 12, mom brings it up again. She hands the kid some Tampax and asks: "Remember when you were little and I couldn't go swimming one summer? Well, this is for you, read the instructions and you'll be ready when it happens to you, and with these, you'll be able to go swimming, too."

I was the lucky little girl. Lucky because my mom broke the spell for me, after hundreds of generations of scared little girls bleeding and being told they were cursed, my mom made me the first of my ancestors to see it as a natural thing and we had better ways to deal with it.

Thanks, mom, today's girls don't even know how lucky they are and how narrowly they escaped being born into that vicious cycle. But I know how lucky I am, and I have you to thank for it.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
23-01-2014, 09:47 AM
RE: The curse
Ugh! Blood... rags... that's just icky.

Men do not need to know about such things.

Meanwhile... man's curse... PMS!

Out of interest, did your grandmother really believe it was god's curse or was it just a convenient metaphor?

23-01-2014, 09:52 AM
(23-01-2014 09:47 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Ugh! Blood... rags... that's just icky.

Out of interest, did your grandmother really believe it was god's curse or was it just a convenient metaphor?

I think she believed it. Super heavy catholic. Mass every morning at 6am, before work. My mom was the only one of 11 girls (gramps so wanted a son, he kept trying) who ended up not devoutly catholic. My cousins still all got the speech about the curse. However, my cousins got some supplementary info at school, there were pamphlets the nuns gave out that didn't describe it as god's curse, but also had it as a tool for chastity.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
23-01-2014, 10:00 AM
(23-01-2014 09:52 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(23-01-2014 09:47 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Ugh! Blood... rags... that's just icky.

I think she believed it. Super heavy catholic. Mass every morning at 6am, before work. My mom was the only one of 11 girls (gramps so wanted a son, he kept trying) who ended up not devoutly catholic. My cousins still all got the speech about the curse. However, my cousins got some supplementary info at school, there were pamphlets the nuns gave out that didn't describe it as god's curse, but also had it as a tool for chastity.

and by the 70's there were commercials all over tv for stay free, etc. So it kind of killed the whole secrecy aspect, do you think?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
23-01-2014, 10:09 AM
(23-01-2014 10:00 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(23-01-2014 09:52 AM)Dom Wrote:  I think she believed it. Super heavy catholic. Mass every morning at 6am, before work. My mom was the only one of 11 girls (gramps so wanted a son, he kept trying) who ended up not devoutly catholic. My cousins still all got the speech about the curse. However, my cousins got some supplementary info at school, there were pamphlets the nuns gave out that didn't describe it as god's curse, but also had it as a tool for chastity.

and by the 70's there were commercials all over tv for stay free, etc. So it kind of killed the whole secrecy aspect, do you think?

Yep, and it was the latter part of the 60s that the nuns started handing pamphlets to girls 14 and up...

But it was really commerce that broke the spell. The market for something better than rags was just too big to be ignored any longer... At first, instead of public ads and before people had TVs, they sent samples randomly to women everywhere. Once there was a buzz and women were talking, ads started popping up.

Once it was all out in the open, the church had to do something, hence the pamphlets.

23-01-2014, 10:09 AM
(23-01-2014 10:00 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  ...
and by the 70's there were commercials all over tv for stay free, etc.

I remember those ads.

As a child, I tried sticking a Tampax up my arse because I thought it would improve my rollerskating.

Maybe it didn't work because I wasn't wearing white shorts.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
23-01-2014, 10:17 AM
This reminds of a story when I was younger and prospecting for the club, the guys had........ um, nevermind ! Blush
23-01-2014, 10:22 AM
You lucky fucker, starting your periods at 12!

I'm definitely cursed. Mine started at 9 and never "settled". I think I literally get the worst periods in the world. It has to be a curse, or some other magic. Lol
23-01-2014, 10:46 AM
(23-01-2014 10:22 AM)NoraBrimstone Wrote:  You lucky fucker, starting your periods at 12!

I'm definitely cursed. Mine started at 9 and never "settled". I think I literally get the worst periods in the world. It has to be a curse, or some other magic. Lol

The periods start earlier and earlier. I remember 16 being a normal age for them. Somehow we are evolving into earlier sexual maturity.

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post