The dangers of religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2012, 04:07 AM
RE: The dangers of religion
You've addressed people being born into religion... what about the people who join a religion at say, 20 years old or so. Is it still dangerous to them?

I think the main problem I have with religion is that it reaches its conclusion before utilising the facts. I mean, children, adults, whoever should be able to look at the facts and what is around them and then determine whether god actually exists lol. Doubting Tom was a bad person in the bible! He shouldn't have to say sorry for doubt.

Also when it's said 'you're taught to appreciate his works' I facepalm at least three times. It's so superficial. You're taught to appreciate the god not the works. 'look at the stars! god put them there for you!' It moves from appreciating the stars and the universe to loving god because he cares about you so much. To me, when you remove the idea that god did something for humans you actually begin to appreciate the universe, science, philosophy and all the like .

Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

Enlightenment is liberating.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like ALovelyChickenMan's post
02-05-2012, 11:39 AM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2012 11:43 AM by ahoy.)
(01-05-2012 08:47 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  
(01-05-2012 04:40 AM)ahoy Wrote:  Can you clarify more what you meant by "scientific values" and “scientific mindset” that will be most "productive and beneficial" to the society as a whole.

Reason is, in doing business, I prefer to hire religious people FOR a job that involves handling money, cold cash.

Religious people are afraid to steal money for some "higher reasons".

Kindly note that the business am in, is beneficial for the society as a whole as well.
I'm going to have to reject your assertion for a variety of reasons, none the least of which is the fact that the majority of the current prison population is religious (e.g. the people that steal, rob, rape, kill, etc.).

Moreover, you provide no evidence to support your very general assertion that "religious people are afraid to steal money for some 'higher reasons'".

And while I'm at it, what do you mean exactly by "higher reasons?" If you mean morals or ethics, it's worth pointing out that most self-professed atheists I've interacted with are highly committed to behaving morally and ethically.

As for your last statement, again I'm not sure what that has to do with this post. Sorry if I'm coming off as confrontational. I just take issue with what I perceive to be your point of view on these matters. Definitely open to clarification if I'm off base on anything.

Am not going to answer directly to your post as I think there was misunderstanding on what religion is… at least on what I meant by religion/ religious.

If there is a rule, a creed to be observed… then it is a religion.

The Golden Rule, it is a rule!

Christianity, Islam, Buddhism. Confucianism… and more in particular Humanism, observes this rule… then, all of them is a religion!

The Golden Rule, as simple as it may seem, we try to expound it more…which is good, as more often than not…. people need specific instructions : )

The trouble, I think, is once we put in writing expounding the Golden Rule… we human beings tend to legalism…

That is: the process becomes a court of law… instead of a court of justice.

(02-05-2012 03:18 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(01-05-2012 04:40 AM)ahoy Wrote:  Can you clarify more what you meant by "scientific values" and “scientific mindset” that will be most "productive and beneficial" to the society as a whole.

Reason is, in doing business, I prefer to hire religious people FOR a job that involves handling money, cold cash.

Religious people are afraid to steal money for some "higher reasons".

Kindly note that the business am in, is beneficial for the society as a whole as well.
Gosh, that's interesting, because I see the exact opposite.

Generally speaking, I find Christian people more likely to be untrustworthy. I think they are just as likely to steal. Don't forget many con artists masquerade as Christians.

What is more, I find them more likely to be paranoid, unpredictable, opinionated and poor communicators. Usually they are not as bright as atheists.

If you meant by atheist as humanist, yup, i agree.... most humanist arrive at their belief... rather than inherited it.

Just to clarify… as I maybe misjudged of religious discrimination.. … am more into organizational efficiency…

Those characteristics you mentioned....is not suitable for collecting money. cold cash.

For Marketing, which requires creativeness…. yup, those will be good
02-05-2012, 12:04 PM
(02-05-2012 04:07 AM)ALovelyChickenMan Wrote:  You've addressed people being born into religion... what about the people who join a religion at say, 20 years old or so. Is it still dangerous to them?
Well I think it's still dangerous. I believe most of the re-born believers become that because they need some consolation or 'closeness' in their life. Sometimes you just need a friend, stuff like that. And instead of dealing with your problems, you turn to some imaginary friend who you believe will help you if you pray enough. But I think it's different than the 'religious nurture', I was going to cover that in some future post as well.

[Image: s1hlsk.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-05-2012, 11:52 AM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2012 11:57 AM by ahoy.)
(30-04-2012 04:30 PM)le_procyon Wrote:  Scientific values must be promoted as the only ones which bring true and concise results, the scientific mindset as the one most productive and beneficial for the society as a whole.

IF that is the case, I think Science should look more into morality.

Why it pays to be honest.
Why crime does not pay.
Why it is not healthy to hold grudges.
Why it is healthy to forgive.
Etc.

Since Science is busy or more into with producing more foods, discovering new medicines, exploring the stars … I think WE should be thankful to Religion.

What do you think?
09-05-2012, 02:40 PM
(09-05-2012 11:52 AM)ahoy Wrote:  
(30-04-2012 04:30 PM)le_procyon Wrote:  Scientific values must be promoted as the only ones which bring true and concise results, the scientific mindset as the one most productive and beneficial for the society as a whole.

Why crime does not pay.
Etc.

Since Science is busy or more into with producing more foods, discovering new medicines, exploring the stars … I think WE should be thankful to Religion.

What do you think?
I think we should be thankful to Science for cleaning up religion's little messes - overpopulation, reliance on archaic medicines and methods, and being satisfied that the stars are merely dancing souls or some such nonsense.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
09-05-2012, 05:26 PM
(09-05-2012 11:52 AM)ahoy Wrote:  

Why crime does not pay.
Etc.

What do you think?

Ahem..social science.......
09-05-2012, 09:30 PM
(09-05-2012 05:26 PM)IrishAtheist Wrote:  
(09-05-2012 11:52 AM)ahoy Wrote:  IF that is the case, I think Science should look more into morality.

Why crime does not pay.
Etc.

What do you think?

Ahem..social science.......

yes, precisely... we need more of them/ more involvement of social scientists, REAL social scientists... those who have college/ university degrees on that subject.